Klipsch HD 300 VS Z-5500

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Yep, you've got it.

Interconnects are a hotly debated area. However, most people aren't going to hear the difference in a higher end cable.

At least that's my finding. Those should work just fine for your system.
Thank you so much, all and all, it comes to about a total of 450$ even like I said.

Pretty good price for such a System, do you think? Basically, what would you use? the Z-5500 or the HD 300 + that stuff listed?

I just wanna hear yer personal preference, cause you seem to know yer stuff.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Thanks.

For me personally, I would go with the receiver, cables, and Klipsch speakers. Yeah, you're spending more but the sound quality will be a lot better. Logitech makes decent dedicated computer speakers but they aren't great when it comes to sound quality.

It all comes to what you're willing to spend. If you really don't want to spend the $450 then you're kind of stuck with some dedicated computer speakers and when talking about 5.1 Logitech is one of the better choices. However, what you're spending for what you're getting, that's pretty good.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
Mm. Yeah, I suppose I will. I just need to find a place that has that Receiver to purchase, Newegg is out, and so is Amazon.

I can find it on other sites, but for 30$ more...hrm.

M

Mirko

Enthusiast
I suggest you also take a look on Creative Gigaworks S750. I saw a review of those vs Z-5500 and the best Klipsch PC system from a few years ago and Creative's set was regarded as better than Z-5500. I'd post a link but can't find it anymore, sry. They only have analog connection, but it shouldn't concern you as you only intend to use them with your PC, and X-Fi I believe offers quite good sonic qualities.

The good thing about them is that their satellites have binding posts so you can use them with any amplifier or receiver. I actually use them nowadays with my Denon 2308 (until I get some money to replace them with a more serious system) with them amplified by the receiver, and the sub connected to the receiver's sub out.

Some people have said they had problems with the built-in amplifier failing after a year or two, but mine are 4 years old and still function flawlessly. All the speakers are actually manufactured by Cambridge Soundworks (I opened them up and only Cambridge Soundworks is written on the magnets, no mention of Creative there), Creative owns that company so they only put their name on.

There is a used set on amazon.com going for 250$. Maybe it's worth taking a look at: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Gigaworks-Speaker-System/dp/B00013JU9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260188230&sr=8-1

edit: I have also heard Z-2300 that I believe shares the satellites with the Z-5500 system and the Gigaworks satellites, in my opinion, offer better quality; they are 2-way while Logitech's are a single full-range driver, that probably helps somewhat

Last edited:
M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
I suggest you also take a look on Creative Gigaworks S750. I saw a review of those vs Z-5500 and the best Klipsch PC system from a few years ago and Creative's set was regarded as better than Z-5500. I'd post a link but can't find it anymore, sry. They only have analog connection, but it shouldn't concern you as you only intend to use them with your PC, and X-Fi I believe offers quite good sonic qualities.

The good thing about them is that their satellites have binding posts so you can use them with any amplifier or receiver. I actually use them nowadays with my Denon 2308 (until I get some money to replace them with a more serious system) with them amplified by the receiver, and the sub connected to the receiver's sub out.

Some people have said they had problems with the built-in amplifier failing after a year or two, but mine are 4 years old and still function flawlessly. All the speakers are actually manufactured by Cambridge Soundworks (I opened them up and only Cambridge Soundworks is written on the magnets, no mention of Creative there), Creative owns that company so they only put their name on.

There is a used set on amazon.com going for 250$. Maybe it's worth taking a look at: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Gigaworks-Speaker-System/dp/B00013JU9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260188230&sr=8-1

edit: I have also heard Z-2300 that I believe shares the satellites with the Z-5500 system and the Gigaworks satellites, in my opinion, offer better quality; they are 2-way while Logitech's are a single full-range driver, that probably helps somewhat
Thanks, buy buying used Speakers or any technical part = not a good idea. It's why used computers barely have a market. I've already had everything figured out by the other guy.

SO yeah, 200$ for 2 Speakers, 400$ for 4...yeah doesn't look to good to me, not to mention Sub. Klipsch HD 300 look great to me @ 450$.

M

Mirko

Enthusiast
Thanks, buy buying used Speakers or any technical part = not a good idea. It's why used computers barely have a market. I've already had everything figured out by the other guy.

SO yeah, 200$ for 2 Speakers, 400$ for 4...yeah doesn't look to good to me, not to mention Sub. Klipsch HD 300 look great to me @ 450$.
I agree, I rarely buy anything used, especially regarding computers, except for cases that are not actually technical equipment. I'd never buy a used computer, or speakers, for that matter, but there are people, some of them I even know very well that regularly purchase used equipment, including computer parts, and never run into any problems, so it's not necessarily a bad idea, especially if you have a chance to try and see if the equipment functions properly.

I'm not suggesting you should buy anything used, just discussing...

Btw, sorry if this is a bit off topic.

M

Mkilbride

Audioholic
I agree, I rarely buy anything used, especially regarding computers, except for cases that are not actually technical equipment. I'd never buy a used computer, or speakers, for that matter, but there are people, some of them I even know very well that regularly purchase used equipment, including computer parts, and never run into any problems, so it's not necessarily a bad idea, especially if you have a chance to try and see if the equipment functions properly.

I'm not suggesting you should buy anything used, just discussing...

Btw, sorry if this is a bit off topic.
No, it's alright, I understand. I've seen alot of speaker systems out there, but the Klipsch HD 300 looks like they're the best for my price range really.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis