Klipsch definitely makes an impression

J

JeffM

Audiophyte
I've seen such long threads on Klipsch that another is in order. Review all those threads, and you'll have to admit, they're very controversial. You love 'em - you hate 'em, and if you try to write in the middle, they think you hate 'em.

Why do these speakers drive such forceful reviews? There can't be any other reason, but that they are fantastic speakers! Of course, I am focusing on the Heritage line (being Klipschorn, LaScala, Belle and Cornwall). This needs to be clear.

So, why the disagreement when you focus on Klipsch's top models? Here's what I think. You have alot of folks who do not have proper amps to drive these speakers. A "good" Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood is not at all suitable for these speakers - that is, if you want to crank them for what they're worth. For those of you who've been there, you missed out, but don't blame your misfortune on the speakers. It was your amp.

Then, there are others who live in confined areas like dorms and apartments, or for whatever reason, just don't get to crank the Klipsch the way they were designed. If you're in that class, you would probably have a greater appreciation for the infinitessimally crisp high end you get out of those ridiculously expensive paper cone tweeters and mid-ranges that just can't blurt it out loud like the Klipsch. You might think your speakers are loud because you can hear them 6 rooms down in the dorm, but with the Klipsch, you hear them down to the end of the street. There's no comparison.

The Klipsch Heritage line was built to crank. When you crank them, they are still extremely clear, and they handle high loads very, very well. The definition is fantastic when you consider the rush they can deliver when driven at high volumes through a serious amp. If you're a rocker, try Rush's YYZ through the Klipsch, and be sure to push them real good. The production of the album was fantastic, the musicians are masters, and the speakers will give you a complete appreciation of both.

With Klipsch, though the definition is great, "great" is relative to what the overall purpose is. It is still not the same definition you can get through those $10,000 used McIntosh speakers that run about 25 tiny paper cones. But then, again, used Heritage series Klipsch cost nowhere near that, and those tiny paper cones in the high-def lines will NEVER deliver the physical "thump" and "crash" excitement that Klipsch can deliver.

If you think those paper cones DO deliver the "thump," then, we need to be clear. I am accustomed to my Klipsch, so the "thump" to me would probably be to you more like whacking you upside the head with an axe.... with a real sharp blade, though. The Klipsch are not painful. They just cleanly rock the hell out of the place.

So, IMHO, if definition at the high end is extremely, extremely crucial, buy the $10,000 set of 25 little paper cones, and play them at 20 watts per channel. You'll love the clarity. And with the medium volumes they can deliver, they'll sound pretty sophisticated at a jazz bar where people can talk.

But if you think $1,000-2,000 in used speakers ought to come with the ability to make you feel like you are actually AT the concert and in front row seats, Klipsch Heritage series definitely delivers. But, there's one major difference. The production that goes into market CD's by far tops what can be delivered in a live performance. So, with the Klipsch, you get production quality sound while you're at the concert and in the front row.

Anybody disagree?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
So if I understand your post,

Speaker quality = ability to produce extreme loud sound

Personally, I have never been looking for that kind of performance. In fact, I deplore the extent to which some live concerts are reverting to loud speaker volume... gives me a headache and I would certainly not adjust my a/v volume to give me that "loud" performance. Our comfort hearing zones may be light years apart, huh?

See where the pain starts?

see hearing damage at: http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/03_db.html

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
No one doubts that Klipsch speakes are great for rock. I think the Klipsch Reference series are outstanding for home theater. They are very efficient, not requiring huge amplification for reference level sound. More speaker manufacturers should mimic what Klipsch does as far as spl and efficiency.

But how do they handle a Diana Krall or Allison Krauss CD compared to other speakers? How do they sound at the lowest volumes?

I love Rush - one of my favorite bands. But I also enjoy other types of music. Smooth jazz sounds a lot different through a silk dome or ribbon as opposed to a horn. If you prefer 90% rock, or mostly HT, Klipsch gets my vote. If you are into classical, jazz, etc..., you may or may not be better off with something else. Personal preference. ;)

Thanks for the detailed post. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your speakers, and it sounds like you've found some gems.

For any forum members not familiar with the retro Klipsch speakers, they still sell a line called the "Heritage Series." Here's some posts from the Klipsch forum, as well as the speakers themselves to get you up to speed.
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/603176/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1259&type=All

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
No one doubts that Klipsch speakes are great for rock. I think the Klipsch Reference series are outstanding for home theater. They are very efficient, not requiring huge amplification for reference level sound. More speaker manufacturers should mimic what Klipsch does as far as spl and efficiency.

But how do they handle a Diana Krall or Allison Krauss CD compared to other speakers? How do they sound at the lowest volumes?

I love Rush - one of my favorite bands. But I also enjoy other types of music. Smooth jazz sounds a lot different through a silk dome or ribbon as opposed to a horn. If you prefer 90% rock, or mostly HT, Klipsch gets my vote. If you are into classical, jazz, etc..., you may or may not be better off with something else. Personal preference. ;)

Thanks for the detailed post. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your speakers, and it sounds like you've found some gems.

For any forum members not familiar with the retro Klipsch speakers, they still sell a line called the "Heritage Series." Here's some posts from the Klipsch forum, as well as the speakers themselves to get you up to speed.
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/603176/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1259&type=All

Sorry Buck but the RF-7's are not just for rock or HT. That is a myth that needs busted. These speakers are precise,with great imaging, and terrific all around sound. They are simply some of the best speakers I have listened to under 5k/pr.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I've listened to Klipsch at stores and setup at homes and it just comes down that i dont like horns for tweeters.

J

JeffM

Audiophyte
Speaker quality = ability to produce extreme loud

Mfabien, you're close to my definition. Speaker quality = ability to produce extreme loud sound while maintaining clarity. I've been to those Home Entertainment stores and heard those $12,000 cone speakers. My belief is a $12,000 set of speakers better run all over the less expensive Klipsch. They don't. I would never chunk that kind of money to thoroughly "enjoy" 20 watts. But, we all enjoy different things. Also, I'm a drummer by hobby for the last 20 years. Klipsch is the house band. Gotta have loud and clear to play drums along a CD.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....well, I'm gonna' step out on a limb here and say I compare speakers at moderate listening levels....if they impress me at moderate levels, the loud levels impressing me are going to be there, but the reverse is not necessarily true....Klipsch is good stuff, and has been for many years....those thinking Klipsch are too bright probably experienced, or are experiencing, room issues that could use some damping....hang some neat looking Oriental rugs, boys, hang some rugs.....

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....well, I'm gonna' step out on a limb here and say I compare speakers at moderate listening levels....if they impress me at moderate levels, the loud levels impressing me are going to be there, but the reverse is not necessarily true....Klipsch is good stuff, and has been for many years....those thinking Klipsch are too bright probably experienced, or are experiencing, room issues that could use some damping....hang some neat looking Oriental rugs, boys, hang some rugs.....
"Hey, 'Keep, gimme an icepick with that serving of rugs and Klipsch's. Thanks, 'Keep." ;)

Sorry Mulie, but you could bury horn speakers under a ton o' Oriental rugs AND Arabian floor pillows AND stuff a teddy bear in each horn cavity and they would still be too bright for me. What's interesting is that I love rock music and still go searching for the icepick when I hear that {{{sound}}} inside my head. :eek:

Now, one of my complaints about speaker demo'ing is that it seems universally accepted by all speaker salesman that turning the volume up to Torture+2 settings will help open the speakers and thereby sell them to me. I ALWAYS threaten said salesmen first if they do that. Nope, no Klipsch for this mother's son.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
rjbudz said:
Now, one of my complaints about speaker demo'ing is that it seems universally accepted by all speaker salesman that turning the volume up to Torture+2 settings will help open the speakers and thereby sell them to me.
Yep, and that goes right along with another thing you often hear: 'These speakers really need alot of power to sound their best". I take that to mean that unless you have the volume cranked to concert levels, they sound terrible.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
If i have to do all that in my livingroom to make the horns sound right,i'll just get different speakers.{without horns} When i listened to them at my friends house,they werent in bathroom without the towels hanging up. It was in his den thats capeted with a couple of thick courchs and chairs,pictires on the wallks and drapes on the windows. They just are brite every time i've listened to them. But my briteness might be somebodys warmth,i understand that.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, again another personal preference thread. People have the right to not like certain speakers, get over it.

I already posted about this in Jaxvon's B&W review. I Don't like bright sounding speakers. Room treatment helps, but I still don't like them.

JeffM, you have to learn to respect other people opinions, or you'll go the way of privateer. Everyone has a different opinion of the perfect speaker.

Sheep

J

JeffM

Audiophyte
Respect Others' Opinions

Sheep, of course I respect others' opinions. That's why I said, if that infinitessimal high-end accuracy is crucial, go with something other than the Klipsch. I think that's what every "anti-Klipsch" person is saying. I respect that. But... the respect needs to go the other way as well. It's alright to criticise Klipsch for their limitations, but be honest about whatever it is you own/prefer. My guess is nobody wants to do any admitting, but everybody enjoys a little finger-pointing. I'd like to see someone with those $12,000 25-cone speakers admit that their speakers can't perform in the loudness arena like Klipsch. Every time a person mentions "Klipsch" and "loud" in the same paragraph, somebody likes to jump in and run them down. But "loud" is what Klipsch does best. ... And no, you do not have to play them loud to enjoy them. ... And yes, loud can hurt your ears. ... And if yours can't do loud, your ears won't get hurt. I'm not referring to you, Sheep, when I say "you." Just pointing out some distinctions and giving credit where it's due.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
JeffM,
You are entitled to your opinions, as are we all. I personally didn't take your post as saying everyone is wrong about Klipsch and you were going to give us the real scoop. You like them, great. I have no opinion on them because honestly I haven't ever heard them. I probably wouldn't like them because I dislike horns (instruments) and high frequencies in general and that is the stereotype you always hear associated with Klipsch - that they are 'bright'.

One thing is for sure though. I definitely agree with the opinion that price doesn't equate to quality. I thought you did a nice job of laying out your reasons why you felt the Klipsch sounded better and were a better value than the uber-expensive competition. I can relate to that kind of reasoning because I use that approach for pretty much everything. I always say that 'high-end' audio (speakers, amps, receivers, etc) most often offer only incremental improvements for exponential increase in price and there is no 'value' in that kind of tradeoff.

J

JeffM

Audiophyte
MDS - Hey, fellow Texan!

MDS, I agree totally w/your comment regarding the exponential price increase in relation to the quality increase. I like your philosophy. You must have read "The Millionaire Next Door."

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
JeffM said:
MDS, I agree totally w/your comment regarding the exponential price increase in relation to the quality increase. I like your philosophy. You must have read "The Millionaire Next Door."
Indeed I have. Finance is another one of my areas of interest. :)

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Here is your confession

Hey, Jeff, I happen to own a pair of those 25 tweet Macs. I love them. I listened to almost every set of speakers I could find in three states before I bought them in about '85, including all the Klipsch they made at the time. I will admit my XRT20s will in no shape or form match the db output of the Klipsch. I have a Mac amp as well (MC352) that pushes the XRT20s to their limit. My next door neighbors can hear it, but not the ones down the street. It's cool with me! My uncle has a set of Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers which are horn loaded. He lives on top of a hill in the middle of about 7 acres. His neigbors down at the bottom of the hill have told him they liked his music...and it was winter: all the doors shut. He has a Mac amp also, but it only pushes about 125 watts.

I bought my Macs because I think they sound much more natural than the Klipsch, but as already mentioned here, speakers are extremely subjective. I still like the old time Klipsch for sure but will take my Macs anyday whether listening at all my paper speakers can deliver (albeit very clean and clear) or at dinner levels while talking to my lady.

My advice to anyone would be to grab a few CDs you like of all the types of music you listen to and head out to as many places you can to audition speakers. Listen a lot and buy what sounds good to you that's in you budget.

J

JeffM

Audiophyte
Dukester, my man!

Glad to hear it for once! But I'll bet your Macs do sound fabulously clean and crisp! Too bad we can't get both out of the same speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis