J

joeandmich

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Happy New Years folks.

I'm in the process of buying a Klipsch speaker system and wanted your advice. My family room is wired for 5 speakers. One central, two main and two rear surround. I will mostly use the surround sound for satelite tv, but once a month I have a party at my place and we listen to loud dance music. My question to you is should I simply buy the Klipsch synergy system 6 package (2 SB-1's, an SC.5, center, 2 ss.5 surrounds and a KSW10 subwoofer) or should I swich the 2 mains for 2 SF-2's and switch the surrounds for the cheaper Quintets?

The reason I'm asking this is that the wiring going to the surrounds is cheap wiring and it would cost me a bit more money to have it rewired. I've read somewhere that if you don't have good wiring its not worth spending the extra money on great speakers.</font>

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>joeandmich,

Problem is you don't give us any info about your receiver or room size, etc.  I presume maybe this will be the Denon you are checking on in your other post?

I wouldn't worry much about the wire.  There is lots of controversy as to whether the speaker wire makes an audible difference in the sound.  The dealers say yes because they want to sell you Monster wire, etc.  My opinion is mainly no.  The most important thing is to use heavier gauge wire for longer runs.  I buy my speaker wire at Home Depot.  Anyway it shouldn't make much if any difference on your choice of surrounds.  I would not change to the cheaper model surround regardless of the wire.

I think you will find that the Klipsch small system will surprise you as to how good they will sound even at high levels.  Even the small klpisch systems are fairly sensitive (efficient...they play louder than most other brands with the same amount of power).  You will also be surprised at how well your music will sound with the Pro-Logic II music setting or other surround modes.

Are you buying locally?  Most dealers would switch the SB-1 for the SF-2 or other model if you are not happy with the SB-1.  I think you will be.  Make sure you very carefully set the sound volume levels in the set-up procedures for all channels.  The human ear is not too precise in this procedure which is very important to get the proper surround level from all channels.  The Radio Shack analog (not the digital one) sound level meter is a must for $40.  Trust me, this makes an audible difference  to get all the channels within 1/2 decibel or so of each other.  Good Luck.

LB6    

P.S.  Be sure in the set-up procedures you set all 5 speakers (with the small models) to &quot;small&quot; and the sub to &quot;yes&quot; or maybe with the Denon it is &quot;mix&quot; for sub/LFE mix.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

joeandmich

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the advice. Sorry I didn't respond back until now, my direct tv dsl went bankrupt and I had to switch providers.

I knew I should have discussed the room dimensions. It's about 30 feet by 12 feet, all in marble tile. On one side it's all glass doors and the other long side only about 15 feet has walls. I don't know if that makes a difference but it can't hurt.

Oh, I intend to buy it either on ebay or some online store.

Thanks
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis