KLH Subwoofer help connecting it please

D

dcc

Enthusiast
I just bought a KLH S200ETH subwoofer in a as is sale, the LED on the rear lights up, but I want to make sure that I'm connecting it properly before I go any further.

I have a Samsung HT-SK6 receiver with a RCA output for a powered subwoofer.

The subwoofer has right and left low level RCA inputs and outputs. It also has high level right and left speaker inputs and outputs.

Do I run a RCA cord from the output from the receiver to the subwoofer's low level RCA connectors, and does it matter whether I use the left or right?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
dcc said:
IDo I run a RCA cord from the output from the receiver to the subwoofer's low level RCA connectors, and does it matter whether I use the left or right?
Yes. It doesn't matter which input you use although some subs specify one or the other. You may want to invest in a cheapo "Y" connector to split that one JFE signal into the two sub inputs, though.

D

dcc

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response MarkW, I couldn't find the owners manual on line. I had thought that would be the case, but wanted to be sure before I tried it.

As it turns out I have bigger problems, with only the subwoofer plugged in to the outlet the LED lit up, and then slowly died, as did the fuse. Because the fuse didn't blow immediately I'm hoping that the problem is in the power supply, that I can deal with.

D

dcc

Enthusiast
I was finally able to make a phone call to KLH, and was pleasantly surprised by the extent of the techs knowledge and his willingness to help.

When connecting the output from a receiver's subwoofer output, the R RCA low level input is the terminal that should be used, the L one isn't connected to the subwoofer.

I hope this helps someone else.

D

dcc

Enthusiast
The tech that I spoke with at KLH emailed me a picture of the power supply board with arrows indicating the two caps that were causing the problem. He told me to just remove the two caps and it should solve my problem.

I finally had time this morning to open it up and check it out, sure enough one of the two caps that he mention was fried...literally! I removed its remains and remove the second one and fired up the amp...huzzah it lives!

I put the amp back into the enclosure and now have a working subwoofer, free foot massages while watching movies.

Now I can return my 4" subwoofer to my 2.1 creative system for my computer.

A

arvis10

Audiophyte
Caps

What caps did you remove to make the amp functional? Can you email me a picture. Thanks

K

kodiak

Audiophyte
Well, I hope you still get a notification from this post.. It would appear I'm working on the same model amp that you have. s200ETH series. I however, can not find any information on it, the front of the subwoofer encloser says Cinema Audio Systems but i can find nothing matching that name and the model on the back of the amp. The power light on the amp only comes on when it is set to ON, if it is set to Auto it doesn't seem to register there is a signal comming into the unit through the RCA jacks. Little to no voltage seems to go to the sub according to my multi meter (while the amp is "recieving" signal and on). If you or anyone else has any information that might be helpful I would appreciate it!

Liquid Know

Audiophyte
Help with s200eth subwoofer!

I hope someone out there can help me. The fuse in my subwoofer has gone out and all attempts to replace it have been immediatly blown out. What exactly do I need , fuse wise, to put in the sub. I have tried to contact KLH and they will not return any of my calls or emails. Please help me, this is driving me insane!!

R

RaySuave

Audiophyte
Well, I hope you still get a notification from this post.. It would appear I'm working on the same model amp that you have. s200ETH series. I however, can not find any information on it, the front of the subwoofer encloser says Cinema Audio Systems but i can find nothing matching that name and the model on the back of the amp. The power light on the amp only comes on when it is set to ON, if it is set to Auto it doesn't seem to register there is a signal comming into the unit through the RCA jacks. Little to no voltage seems to go to the sub according to my multi meter (while the amp is "recieving" signal and on). If you or anyone else has any information that might be helpful I would appreciate it!
Check out this website d-s-t.com.au/data/Misc/S400W_files/s400w.htm (had to get by the 5 post rule for links), there is a pdf file link to specs at the bottom, it looks like models S200W and S200ETH are very smiliar.

I'm having problems with this same system. I blew the original speaker a while back and put in a 15" audiobahn. It works but I get distorted bass, that produces random like rumbling sound. I can tell the sub/amp is receiving the correct signals (from my computer) because I can clearly hear the sub hitting the correct notes while all the rumbling noises are happening. Also, my gain knob isn't really responding when I move it. Not sure if the problem is the amp or the speaker. Now that I have found some specs, I have to make sure the sub I have in there now is compatible regarding impedence n stuff.

K

Kunta

Audiophyte
I seem to be having the same problem that you experienced with this sub-woofer. Any chance that you could share the "fix" information with me?

Much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Kunta

K

Kunta

Audiophyte
My previous message was addressed to dcc.........any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kunta

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope someone out there can help me. The fuse in my subwoofer has gone out and all attempts to replace it have been immediatly blown out. What exactly do I need , fuse wise, to put in the sub. I have tried to contact KLH and they will not return any of my calls or emails. Please help me, this is driving me insane!!
You can not use a fuse of higher rating without doing more damage, or causing a fire. There is something wrong with the sub. This needs to be corrected before replacing any more fuses. See if your power supply has the burnt out caps referred to above. If it has remove them. If it works without them, Heaven knows what they were doing there!

D

docsavage1

Audiophyte
Can you help me with this too. keep blowing fuses, friend checked it out and said capacitors were blown. miss my thunder. Or should I buy new on. thanks in advance docsavage1

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can you help me with this too. keep blowing fuses, friend checked it out and said capacitors were blown. miss my thunder. Or should I buy new on. thanks in advance docsavage1
It all depends on whether you are skilled in service work and have instruments. Unless the caps are visibly deteriorated you can not assume it is the caps. Your problem could have lots of causes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis