KLH 12" sub - huge WAF, $199

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm...looks just like a car audio subwoofer set-up I saw the other day at Best Buy :rolleyes:

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Unless you have a wife of about 20, I would think the 30+ range would think its a bit childish looking.
I certainly do.
But when I was 18-20 I would of thought it was cool.
Yep, it looks like a car sub, but clearly has feet for HT setup :confused: :confused:
EDIT:: However, a HT sub that really only hits 40hz :confused:
Whoah, I could do without.....
But it might be someones cup of tea.. ;)

T

TheHammer

Enthusiast
That looks nasty.

Ground effects internal & lighted feet .. AAACK!
More cheese than a deep dish pizza.

The Hammer

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
brian32672 said:
...a HT sub that really only hits 40hz...I could do without.....
My own sub goes down to 36Hz +/- 3dB which is just a spit off of 40Hz. I defy anyone not to be impressed with the punch and extension that one can experiance with it. Given the contribution to sound from a room, I hardly think a speakers ratings are all they're cracked up to be.

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
My own sub goes down to 36Hz +/- 3dB which is just a spit off of 40Hz. I defy anyone not to be impressed with the punch and extension that one can experiance with it. Given the contribution to sound from a room, I hardly think a speakers ratings are all they're cracked up to be.

Regards
Uhmm, ok. Hey give me some slack, I am 101 today. And tomorrow I might be 1 again...LOL.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
I defy anyone not to be impressed with the punch and extension that one can experiance with it.
Hmm, a HT sub that only goes down to 36hz????
Music yes, I can see it would probably be very tight and much better for music.
But there are a lot of movies out there that the soundtrack was made to hit 18-20hz.
So if you use it for HT only, I really think you are missing out.
Can you actually feel the soundwaves hitting off your chest at say 10 feet. I am even talking about low volume.
I can't see how it would????
Anyhow, if by chance it does, then Mulester has been looking for something like this for months.
But I think he really wants to feel the sub.
Remember he does have 2 PB4's and they are not cheap at $3,000.00 U.S. dollars a piece. So he would not be afraid of the price of your sub, if it will do what you say it will.

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
...there are a lot of movies out there that the soundtrack was made to hit 18-20hz. So if you use it for HT only, I really think you are missing out.
No Brian32672, I do not believe that I am :) , though I cannot definitively say so.

brian32672 said:
Mulester has been looking for something like this for months....I think he really wants to feel the sub....he does have 2 PB4's and they are not cheap at $3,000.00 U.S. dollars a piece.
I think you misunderstood my comment. All I meant was that even with a super-duper sub which goes down to 1Hz ( :rolleyes: ), a listener may not appreciate the true sound from it because of the effect the room is exerting. If Mulester7's two subs cost US$3000 apiece, then they certainly are more expensive than my own. At that price though, I'm rather surprised that his subs do not apparently have the muscle to satisfy him; I would certainly expect a sub at that price to go down to 20Hz and to have a large sized amplifier.

brian32672 said:
...he would not be afraid of the price of your sub, if it will do what you say it will.
Ooooo. I am quite content with my sub thankyou, and I am not in any way suggesting that 'my subs better than yours'.

Regards

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
Music yes, I can see it would probably be very tight and much better for music.
I do not use bass management when listening to music (for certain reasons). This means that I can only get down to 48Hz with my front towers. I'm told that much music never goes down as low as 20Hz, so why would the sub be much better for music?

I have no doubt that there are many speakers out there that are far superior to my own, but to date, I have never heard music/film sound as good as I have with my own system. My drivers are only 4.5" in diameter. Does this mean they are crap too?

Regards

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
It's not the low end or the raw power that Mule wants, he wants more punch and impact in the upper bass. His monsterous subs do like 16Hz at 100dB anechoically (or something insane like that). They're not lacking power and extension at ALL.

Buckle-meister

jaxvon said:
It's not the low end or the raw power that Mule wants, he wants more punch and impact in the upper bass.
If his subs do not have a crossover frequency set high enough to 'catch' the upper bass that Mulester7 is looking for, then it is surely not a sub that he is looking for, but towers. Either that or a PEQ.

Regards

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Actually I was not trying to say my subs are better by no means...

Anyhow, Mule I think would certainly like to hear from you on your sub. I think its much closer to what he is after than you think. He is looking for more of a low/mid bass that hits hard. His PB4's get cut at 40hz. His mains he cuts at 55-60hz. So He is looking for a sub that hits hard in the 40 - 60hz range...

Please do not take this the wrong way Buckle, I did not intend for you to take offense.

Buckle-meister

brian32672 said:
Anyhow, Mule I think would certainly like to hear from you on your sub. I think its much closer to what he is after than you think.
I do not follow the logic. How could my far lesser priced sub compare with two of his? Unless he has been ripped-off, which I doubt, his sub should be far better than my own.

brian32672 said:
His PB4's get cut at 40hz. His mains he cuts at 55-60hz.
Assuming a brick wall filter, this means that he has lost (55 to 60)-40=15 to 20Hz of his sound. In practice, he would be saved from having a 'hole' in his sound by the roll-off of the crossover. Is he aware of this? Are you there Mulester7?

brian32672 said:
Please do not take this the wrong way Buckle, I did not intend for you to take offense.
Peace. Neither did I. For some strange reason, I just went off on my high-horse.

Regards

Robbie

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckle-meister said:
I do not follow the logic. How could my far lesser priced sub compare with two of his? Unless he has been ripped-off, which I doubt, his sub should be far better than my own.
Oh, they wouldn't. My 3 subs that I will have :rolleyes: , would not compare.
Assuming a brick wall filter, this means that he has lost (55 to 60)-40=15 to 20Hz of his sound. In practice, he would be saved from having a 'hole' in his sound by the roll-off of the crossover. Is he aware of this? Are you there Mulester7?
Actually, the sub he is looking for is to fill in the hole. He strictly is looking for a complete sound. The Sub kinda like yours would be put up front, preferable front firing subs, so he can get a little directional bass from them. Anyhow, long story but it has been talked about in detail in the Loudspeaker section. BTW, we have hijacked this thread here, so to go into more detail look at the thread over there...
Peace. Neither did I. For some strange reason, I just went off on my high-horse.
No problem, kinda thought I was coming off to harsh. But I was not trying to do that...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Hijacking informative threads

BTW, we have hijacked this thread here, so to go into more detail look at the thread over there...
Yeah, no more hijacking this most informative thread on how to please the better half. :rolleyes: Neon rules! :p

I've got bigger news. I've just found some replacements for the $138 12" Dayton sub. At the price suggested, you can stack 3 of them for less than one Cadence XSUB. Talk about WAF! :D

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4022141

At 29lbs and 5yr warranty, how can you go wrong? (I had to pull the PDF to see the manual to get the weight) :rolleyes:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13510&langId=-1

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
WOW, that Advent for 79.00 looks like a great deal Probably much better than the Dayton. Hmm, this may be the one to recommend for people on a real tight budget. Thanks for the find Buck. Once again, you da man.... :)

EDIT:: Here is the pic of the specs for all others for this Audiovox advent sub..

Attachments

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Brian,

Go ahead and post it (start a thread) under speakers if you want. Amazon has them for $79 shipped. Who knows how they sound, but for that kind of cash, who cares? May bring up a new audio term - "disposable subs." ;)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
I Are you there Mulester7?
.....Buckle-Meister, I wasn't trying to ignore you at all, but haven't been in the mood to post much for a few days....my current equipment, things I'm trying by application, equipment I'm working toward, and stuff I plan to build, simply doesn't apply to this surround receiver site.....

Buckle-meister

mulester7 said:
.....Buckle-Meister, I wasn't trying to ignore you at all, but haven't been in the mood to post much for a few days....my current equipment, things I'm trying by application, equipment I'm working toward, and stuff I plan to build, simply doesn't apply to this surround receiver site.....
No worries. I only put the question 'out there' if you like.

Regards

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis