Kids and Video Games

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I just read this http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061115/ap_on_fe_st/high_tech_ban and I applaud the school for it. I think all schools K-12 should adopt this policy. When I let my kids have free reign over the game machine I found a direct correlation between games, grades and behavior. I have for the past several years very tightly controlled the video games. I have the game machine locked up and I do not allow game play during the week or on nice days during the day. I also tightly control the TV as well.

When I first met my wife, the oldest boy was 6 and the youngest was a baby. While she was at work and school, her parents let them sit in front of the TV and game machine all day and the oldest never played outside. He had no idea what to do outside, no imagination at all. It took a good year to break this. I also think they did damage to him because his grades have never been as good as the younger ones.

Kids are kids and most do not have the self control and maturity to be able to know when enough is enough. That is the job of the parent. My younger sister lets her daughters have total control over how much TV or games they play and the results have been disastrous. They watch 5 to 7 hours of TV and/or games a day and then they call me and wonder why the oldest is having a hard time in school with grades and reading. :mad:

Whether it is obesity, behavior problems or poor grades, I truly feel that games and TV have been a major disaster on our young in this country and the blame falls squarely on the parents for not controlling it. When I look at the kids in my son's high school and see all the fat ones, you have to wonder how many hours a day do they play video games or watch TV. Fat kids were the exception when I was in school not the norm.

I am sure my boys think I am unfair and an ogre. I can only hope one day they will appreciate me making them play outside, read books and do their homework. I wish my parents would have been as strict with me. If they had, maybe I would not have to be going back to school now.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It sounds as though you are doing your best to be a good parent. If your children do not appreciate it now, I'm sure they will when they grow up as you seem to be molding them into responsible, thoughtful adults.

If more parents (both single and dual) took their job seriously, we would have far less crime, absenteeism, and general disrespect amongst our juveniles and young adults. I actually think they should make it a crime to have children and not do some minimal parenting (when the juvenile commits crimes because of the absence of parenting)..

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
My kid is going to be 4 in December, he's already asking for a "plama" for his room, can you believe it? He hears this from other kids in his pre-k ! You're absolutely right, there is a direct correlation between tv, grades, and obesity. Let's face it tv is a double edged sword and some parents would rather let the boob tube bring up their kids because it's "less" of a hassle. Believe me they'll regret it later when Johnny or Jennie can hardly read or do math.:(

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I totally agree with you Jeff. I was lucky that my parents were very strict on video games. I wasn't allowed to play and even own one until i was about 12. I used to hate them for not having the video games like my friends. But then over the years of highschools until now, I can see how it grows into me that it is very beneficial. I know much more about time management, social skills, etc. etc and I thank them for that :) . It has been a serious problems for kids these days and how much I hate seeing parents on TV blaming the schools, FDA and all others for having obese/lazy/antisocial/selfish kids. It makes me want to throw up. It is YOU, THE PARENTS, that should be blamed in the first place for having troubled kids:mad: .

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
Just an anecdote from the other side. My son was allowed to play games and or watch as much TV as he wanted to. He still doesn't watch much TV but he has always played games for hours. During highschool he had almost perfect attendance only missing maybe two or three days in three years of school and he earned honours in every class. He averaged something like 87% for all of his classes during three years of high school. I never had a single discipline problem ever.

However, I played lots of games with him so it wasn't like he was stuck off in a corner alone. I do realise that he might be an exception but I think that using video games or TV as a substitute for spending time with your kids may be the big problem.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't mind the kids playing games as long as the other things are done FIRST, and it does not become the ONLY thing they do. They have to have a balance of activities in their life - some games, some TV, music, etc... but also going places and doing things out of the house, preferably new things that broaden their experience and open their eyes to opportunities available to them.

I let my daughter watch as much TV as she wants and she did very well in high school too, but I tend to be involved in what is going on with her also and I would sit with her and watch/play along as well when she was on the game console. Now that she is out of high school, she doesn't game at all and hardly watches TV.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, most of the time, things aren't in balance. And USUALLY, not always, kids are a mirror of their parents....kids are very similar to computers: input garbage, output garbage. If you let kids play with video games the play time must be structured, this takes discipline: disciplined parents, no problem; "busy" parents: trouble. Who pays at the end: the child does.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
When I was a kid, my home did not have cable till I was in 10th grade and my first video game console was gifted to me on my 16th birthday. Till then I had to make do with what little I got at friends homes.

I hated it then, but now I thank my parents for doing it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the people in charge sure know what they're dealing with,

"They should be encouraged to go out and play, not huddle around a game thing". How can one expect kids to listen to parents when they themselves don't know what their kid is playing with. These parents must REALLY be in tune with their kids lives.

This is a classic example of parents footing the blame of their inadequacy on something they know nothing about. Obviously the child can't play the thing 24/7, but its the parents job to regulate the device, not all out banish it. For science's sake, they're in elementary school.

Fighting lazy parents,

SheepStar

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
but its the parents job to regulate the device, not all out banish it.
If the parents choose to banish it, so let it be done. They, after all, are the parents. But you are 100% correct that they must be intimately involved, or kids will be kids at their own peril.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Johnd said:
If the parents choose to banish it, so let it be done. They, after all, are the parents. But you are 100% correct that they must be intimately involved, or kids will be kids at their own peril.
True, but I've seen "teenagers" (ugh, what an ugly term) do just fine while still being allowed to play vidya games. Parents just need to make their rules stick.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
True, but I've seen "teenagers" (ugh, what an ugly term) do just fine while still being allowed to play vidya games. Parents just need to make their rules stick.

SheepStar
Yeah, just look at Sheep here...:D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agre too, my parents didn't get cable untill I was 17, we didn't even have a TV untill I was 5, and I never had a game system. I wasn't mad about it at the time, and apon reflection, I am very glad that's how I was reased.
the only negtive thing I have noted is that when I hear about kindergardiners wanting "plasmas", or see 12 year olds on cell phones, I get mad :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
We never even had a color TV until about 1978 or so. When I think about what my kids have now compared to what I had it is sick. Hey I am all about technology and I love it, but there has to be a balance. Kids have to be guided and they need rules. All things in moderation, I think a lot of parents are lazy, selfish and clueless when it comes to their kids.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
jeffsg4mac said:
When I first met my wife, the oldest boy was 6 and the youngest was a baby. While she was at work and school, her parents let them sit in front of the TV and game machine all day and the oldest never played outside. He had no idea what to do outside, no imagination at all. It took a good year to break this. I also think they did damage to him because his grades have never been as good as the younger ones.
Don't lay all the blame on video games for the difference in grades. I'm old enough to have grown up before there were video games. My sister and I have almost exactly the same IQ's, we both could read before the age of three. Guess what we learned with? The so called "evil" and "mind rotting" comic books!

My older sister was a teachers dream, straight A's, and just loved school, to the point she would be miserable when the end of the school year approached, and sit around in a funk all summer. She went to summer school every year she could, even though the place was a furnace when it was 80 degrees out, let alone at 90+.

Here I come along, getting the same teachers that she had about 1/2 the time. To say I was different was putting it mildly. I was bored to death in school, and I was easily distracted. If a train went by, I was watching it. If a neat car went by, I was watching it. I would read the entire book assigned the first night, and usually forget most of it by test time. It all depended on what the book was about. There were some I had to force myself to read and that was hell. I would fall asleep most of the time. One sleeping pill I had to suffer through twice was "Catcher In The Rye". If you liked it, well, ok, IMO, it's just a waste of paper.

All I heard was "Your sister didn't..." The teachers constantly compared us, and it got very old very quicky. I could spend hours messing with old radios, model cars, model trains, etc, but that 6 hours of school every day? Torture. I did what I needed to to get through it, nothing more. When I started college, taking night classes, I didn't get sick much at all (Except for a case of the flu that lasted forever) and felt GOOD, since for the first time in years, I was able to get some decent sleep. Grades improved to mostly A's, even in the classes I hated, like Calculus. And I didn't fall asleep anymore!

I guess what I'm trying to say is all kids are different, and have different talents. A friend of mine still has trouble reading very well. School was a nightmare for him, flunked the 3rd grade, almsot flunked 5th and 6th, and it took him going to summer school two years to barely get out of HS. He's not stupid in any way, but his reading is pitiful. I have to read stuff to him all the time if we go to a radio show, or train show. If he can't see what's inside a box, he can't read the label well enough to know what's supposed to be inside. Him trying to read a map is kind of funny, he turns the thing around and around and usually gives up. He can't put the name of a street and the map together. The first time he came over here, he had to call me twice. I finally went and had him follow me home.

Today, he's a successful commercial artist, makes 3 times what my sister and I make, and is happily married and a new grandfather. You've probably seen something he's done, like brochures and ads, his stuff turns up all over the place. His one daughter had a milder version of the same problems he had, the other one is like my sister, she's about to get her masters at the age of 22. Kids are different, always have been. Don't blame everything on games/TV.

Last edited:
jlcct

jlcct

Junior Audioholic
I'm just kidding. I have always felt that since I am grown up now, sort of, I think, I'm 24 and don't really play outside like I used to that I have lost a lot of creativity. When I was little I didn't have any video games and I can't count how many times my father would pick me up by the back of my shirt and carry me to the front door. Being able to have fun and seeing a different side of of things no matter what you are doing is a great advantage. I don't feel bad for the kids that stayed inside all day every day but I could definetly tell you who those kids were after 10 minutes with them.
I think as you grow older you start to loose your creative edge. Or maybe I'm confusing creativity with maturity. When I do have a kid they will be outside all day. If I'm poor they will be outside all night to.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Im not so sure all the blame for children being lazy & uninspired rests on the children playing games ,most children imulate what they see every day & if the parents come home & plop down for an entire evening of sitting on their butts watching tv then thats what the kids know.

Both of our sons have every game on the market(except ps3) & they both go in spurts where all they want to do is play games for a few days then we cant get them to stay inside the house for weeks on end while they play football,ride motorcycles,go carts,swimming,fishing,paint ball,skate boards,bicycles,hockey in winter.

IMO children need things to do that they think are fun & if they are supplied with enough good options that interest them they will choose to do different things with their free time instead of focusing on video games & television.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I fail to see how this is 'news'. All my schools had banned electronic games, and those were the pre-Gameboy1 days. handheld Tiger® style!

By highschool we had moved onto "Massive Multiplayer Analog Tabletop Games", or MMOATGs. Games like Warhammer®, Supremacy®, and Dungeons & Dragons® (back when it was a Satanic puppy-killing game). They took up two or three tables in the back of a school library and could take days, weeks to finish. We once timed a game of Supremacy at 103 hours.

We geeks spent so much time after school they could have given us letter jackets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis