Kickstarter - OneClassic has big claims for their $2k speaker system

N

ncampbel

Enthusiast
Is it just me or are there many troubling claims in this video/kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1479338836/oneclassic-4k-dect-wireless-speakers-that-sound-20/

-They have some weird claims regarding phase problems between drivers for all wired speakers that are magically solved with their wireless system. From what I recall when I read Toole, double blind studies have shown that humans aren't phase sensitive unless you have phase interaction that's affecting the frequency response of the system. If that's occurring in a normal speaker it's just a product of poor driver matching and cross-over design.
-Cabinet is made of 0.5" acrylic with no bracing or internal absorption, hmm.
-I'm not super familiar with what class D amplifiers look like but the board they show seems much smaller than what you'd expect for a 70 + 50 watt RMS amplifier, plus it has no heat-sync.
-Reference demonstration with a "$200k setup" is recorded in a relatively non-treated room recorded in mono with a "cheap" rhode mic. Not a valuable way to compare.
-I'm not entirely sure how they think their wireless USB stick is going to work with bluray players for their supported 5.1 playback. Most people don't play blurays on a PC.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's ok, I'm sure they will use the overage to provide similar ID trial periods to their customers with free return shipping....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that is almost all marketing!

I'll give it to them, they did a good job on the marketing side! Bose business model in full effect.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Hard to believe they get to 38k hz with a 2" tweeter. But then again, they don't give you the details behind their frequency response. Could be +/- 20 db for all we know.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I appreciate the audio test they did... I was totally able to tell the difference between the $200,000 dollar system (which they did not give any specifics on, but has to be $200,000 because that is what they told us, Right?) and the fancy clear speakers. I couldn't hear a difference on my 150 set of overnight sensations + Yard Sale NAD receiver...

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
I appreciate the audio test they did... I was totally able to tell the difference between the $200,000 dollar system (which they did not give any specifics on, but has to be $200,000 because that is what they told us, Right?) and the fancy clear speakers. I couldn't hear a difference on my 150 set of overnight sensations + Yard Sale NAD receiver...
I see what you did there...but give them credit. They told you EXACTLY how they spent that $200k by piece of the system down to the cables they used. Can't fault them for just claiming it was a $200k system, they told you every component in it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis