D

Devastateu

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the intresting reading so far and I would like to apologize for the following if it's a very stupid question. I am pretty new to this audio thing. I don't see anything about Kenwood in the board. I thought they made good quality product, but their lack of apperance here says something to me. I was looking to buy a Kenwood receiver and wanted to know your thoughts on Kenwood.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Hmmm,... Kenwood has had some ups and downs over the years, some good stuff, some not so good. Right now IMO anything from Denon, Pioneer, HK, Yamaha, or Onkyo in the same price range as the Kenwood would be a better choice.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
I have one

:cool: I have had a Kenwood lower end receiver for almost three years. I recently went through a whole refit, if you will (RX-V2500, Mirage speakers, Velodyne sub) :) I bought my Kenwood @ BB and I must say it has really done well and actually got good reviews from company while watching movies, etc. :D

I had to upgrade due to being out of component inputs on my TV and the Kenwood I had was without any component inputs. The exact model I have is a VR615 and it came with a passive sub and 5 satellites. I have to say for the $200.00 I paid for it at the time, it has performed far better than I ever expected. It in no way compares with the system I have now, but when you consider that I paid less for the whole system than I did for one of my satellites...... I think you get the picture.

The only real "Problem" with it was when watching movies with some really big bass hits you could hear the receiver giving up the ghost through the sub, I would get the very telling "Sub fart" :eek: and the sub would cut out for a short second. This was caused because the power requirement to drive the sub, as well as the other speakers was more than the receiver could handle. This could have very easily been addressed by buying a powered sub. But hey it only happened 4 or 5 times in the long time I have had it. :eek:

I will tell you that it went straight into the bedroom with new speaker cable and there it will stay. I feel it is one of my better investments. I have made this statement many times in this forum "If you do not have any surround sound at all most any decent system will sound sooooooo much better than what you have" especially if all you have are just the TV speakers. It will be like night and day.

Kenwood does not really have a whole lot to offer in the upper end of the HT category, but if you are looking at the entry level, I say if you can get a good deal on one of their systems go for it, from experience I do not believe you will be disappointed with what you get. Mine makes a wonderful difference in my bedroom as well. :p

D

Devastateu

Audiophyte
Thank you for your input. Currently I have a Kenwood krf-9050D and Sony SS-V325 (speakers) and I thought it preforms great, but again I am new to this. I wanted to upgrade my system. I already purchased the athena MICRA 6 satellites and I am really confused if I wanna get rid of this receiver. I am in the military stationed in Korea so my options are VERY limited. They offer Bose over here, but after reading what this forum had to say about them, I decide not to buy them. I think I made a good choice with these speakers. Please advise on if I should upgrade the receiver. Thank you.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Major name in Kenwood but slightly under the Major players,Denon,Pioneer,HK,Onkyo.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Devastateu said:
Thank you for your input. Currently I have a Kenwood krf-9050D and Sony SS-V325 (speakers) and I thought it preforms great, but again I am new to this. I wanted to upgrade my system. I already purchased the athena MICRA 6 satellites and I am really confused if I wanna get rid of this receiver. I am in the military stationed in Korea so my options are VERY limited. They offer Bose over here, but after reading what this forum had to say about them, I decide not to buy them. I think I made a good choice with these speakers. Please advise on if I should upgrade the receiver. Thank you.
If your receiver has all the inputs/outputs you need for a/v, it will be fine. When you get to the point of needing more inputs/outputs, then it will be time to upgrade. There will be little to no sound difference with a new receiver. ;)

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
zumbo said:
If your receiver has all the inputs/outputs you need for a/v, it will be fine. When you get to the point of needing more inputs/outputs, then it will be time to upgrade. There will be little to no sound difference with a new receiver. ;)
Little to no sound difference with a new reciever? Are you sure about that? I'm not. I just upgraded and was shocked by the difference and i expected a change but not this much.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
shokhead said:
Little to no sound difference with a new reciever? Are you sure about that? I'm not. I just upgraded and was shocked by the difference and i expected a change but not this much.
In this case. My statement is based on what I believe the difference will be using the Athena Micra 6.

So let me add to my statement. A receiver upgrade may also be in order if you upgrade to more demanding speakers, such as the speakers in the previous post. :D

D

Devastateu

Audiophyte
zumbo said:
In this case. My statement is based on what I believe the difference will be using the Athena Micra 6.

So let me add to my statement. A receiver upgrade may also be in order if you upgrade to more demanding speakers, such as the speakers in the previous post. :D
I did some research and I thought that the Mircra 6 speakers was a very good choice. If you think that this isn't a good choice; then let me know that I should buy.

D

Devastateu

Audiophyte
BTW, what the hell is subwoofer remix???? I have is on my receiver and I have no idea what that means. Thanks.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Devastateu said:
I did some research and I thought that the Mircra 6 speakers was a very good choice. If you think that this isn't a good choice; then let me know that I should buy.
Nothing at all wrong with your speakers. They are great. My response was in reference to shokheads statement of a receiver making a shocking difference. Please note the speakers he has listed. They love more power and can take plenty of it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis