Kef xq3s cant find much about them

B

bradley0001983

Junior Audioholic
I picked up a pair of kef xq3s I googled alot and dont see a.whole lot about them. Just looking for any thoughts on the quality and why there so little talk about them

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
If that's the best a search for the xq3 came back with, I guess your only hope is that an actual owner shows up here. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

E

EBN

Audioholic
I picked up a pair of kef xq3s I googled alot and dont see a.whole lot about them. Just looking for any thoughts on the quality and why there so little talk about them
XQ Three (2002-06)
XQ Three was a large stand-mounted speaker derived from the highly regarded Reference Series Model 201. It was a 4-way system with a 165mm (6.5”) bass driver, 165mm (6.5”) Uni-Q array and 19mm titanium dome Hypertweeter.

Review:

Hififorum.de has some talk of XQ serie speakers. It sits between Q serie and reference serie, so basically older R-serie kinda?

B

bradley0001983

Junior Audioholic
What confuses me is I see a.few.for sale r sold quite expensive but no real discussion on them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't remember seeing this on my first search using XQ3, now with XQ Three this popped up https://www.shop.us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/2000s/xq1-xq2c-xq3-xq5. Maybe overall the production numbers of these speakers was relatively small thus little buzz? Don't know but Kef discussions in the UK/Europe might be more numerous than US based ones....

ps LOL didn't look at your link first time, still not used to these funky boxes for links....

D

davidvanderbilt

Audiophyte
I have had the XQ1s for about five years and love them. For the majority of the time I ran them with an older NAD 716 receiver and a PS Audio Perfectwave and the sound was fantastic. I find that the NAD pairing is a nice match in that it smooths out the top end. Now I am looking to upgrade my amp to something more resolving and am wondering how the speakers will respond.

Out of curiosity I bought the Kef LS50W, Elac UB5, and Focal Aria 906. I was disappointed in all of them (even after tons of break in) and to my ears the XQ1 was more natural, refined, and open sounding. It wasn’t even close for me. I spent tons of time with each of those speakers experimenting with placement and toe in and none of them took the throne. Hope you like the XQ3s as I imagine those are a step above the XQ1s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis