AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I've never listened to KEF speakers before, but I heard great things recently from members here.

My local KEF dealer says he has the KEF 201/2 speakers for audition.

Here is the Soundstage measurements:
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/kef_201-2/

The 5-point average on-axis, +/- 15degrees horizontal & vertical off axis frequency response appears to be 80 Hz - 10 kHz +/- 1dB and 70 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 2dB.

Any comments?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think Coaxials, done right, are a great idea. looking at that pic, though, the tweeter seems to be outside the cone, rather than inside the cone. I always assumed that with coaxials you want the tweeter inside the cone to use it as a waveguide loading. The Coaxials I want to hear are the TAD Reference and the Seaton Catalysts. I await your thoughts on these though :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I Want them? ;)
LOL.:D

I think Coaxials, done right, are a great idea. looking at that pic, though, the tweeter seems to be outside the cone, rather than inside the cone. I always assumed that with coaxials you want the tweeter inside the cone to use it as a waveguide loading. The Coaxials I want to hear are the TAD Reference and the Seaton Catalysts. I await your thoughts on these though :D
I thought the 1" silver tweeter is inside the 6.5" black woofer cone?:eek:

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I have had the KEF 201/2 in my home for a listen. GREAT speaker! When you listen, keep in mind that the tweeter output can be adjusted by the binding posts you choose to use.

GranteedEV....I have heard the TAD Reference 1 a few different times, and each time, I drool.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just made the appointment to audition these speakers @ 3pm today.

I'll let you know my impression.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just Auditioned the KEF 201/2

Auditioning critically acclaimed loudspeakers reminds me of watching over-hyped and over-praised movies – there’s always the risk of a letdown.

The KEF Reference series loudspeakers have been critically acclaimed.

Soundstage’s Doug Schneider wrote that the KEF 201/2 was the best bookshelf loudspeaker he’s ever heard.

Stereophile’s John Atkinson wrote that the KEF 207/2 was the best full-range loudspeaker he’s ever heard.

Sounds like over-hyped and over-praised to me.

So as I was driving to Edmond yesterday to audition the KEF 201/2, I had some anxiety and doubt.

When I arrived at the dealer, the owner apologized that the room was not ideal; one side had a wall and the other side had free space and there were absolutely no room treatments. The room did not even have simple curtains; it was just a simple 13’ x 13’ x 9’ room with a cheap chair.

He also apologized that he hooked the KEF 201/2 (sensitivity of 86dB, minimal 4 ohms impedance) to a cheap Onkyo integrated amplifier being fed by a cheap Onkyo DVD player.

But when the music started to play, everything started to disappear.

The walls disappeared. The room disappeared. The cheap amp and DVD player disappeared. My anxiety and doubts all disappeared because the sound coming out from those 201/2 speakers was awesome.

The high frequencies were super smooth without any listening fatigue or edginess or graininess even as the volume was cranked way up.

The midrange frequencies were crystal clear with awesome and absolutely amazing detail, resolution, and accuracy even as the volume was cranked way up.

And these little speakers actually had extremely tight, clean BASS! They sounded more like little towers than bookshelf speakers. They were only supposed to go down to 55Hz @ -3dB, but they sounded more like 40Hz.

The soundstage and imaging was truly incredible.

And most importantly, these speakers sounded alive! They sounded like magic. They sounded enthusiastic. They sounded like they wanted to play for me forever.

I was tremendously impressed.

These are truly among the best speakers I have ever heard. Sure they did not have the full extended bass effects, but I think they rank right next to the Linkwtiz Orion and the Revel Salon 2.

The KEF 201/2 loudspeakers are the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard in my life.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard many many great things about the KEF's...
I like the looks of the 201's and 205's but the 207's look goofy to me... but when the lights go out - what does that all truly matter...

I would someday like to hear them for myself...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
These are truly among the best speakers I have ever heard. Sure they did not have the full extended bass effects, but I think they rank right next to the Linkwtiz Orion and the Revel Salon 2.

The KEF 201/2 loudspeakers are the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard in my life.
Thanks for taking the time for that audition, and telling us about it. I've never heard any KEFs but always have been told or read that they are excellent. I haven't gone speaker shopping in stores in over 8 years - I'm happy with my SongTowers and DIY speakers, but if I ever get a chance to hear some KEFs I should take the time to give a listen.

So how much do these badboys cost? The nicest bookshelf speakers I've heard are Salk HT1s ($2700 base price) and Joseph Audio Pulsars (over $7000). Those prices say a lot about the relative cost difference between Salk internet direct sales and the Joseph Audio practice of using retail dealers. I'd say they are similar in build quality.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So how much do these badboys cost?
The KEF 201/2 retail $6,000/pr.

http://www.kefdirect.com/reference-201-2.html

I have always fantasized about winning the jackpot so that I could open up a store to showcase all these speakers, especially those speakers that are almost impossible to audition like the Salk and Linkwitz and others.:D

That way more people could easily audition them just for fun.:D

I would like to audition the Salk speakers, but it's almost impossible without dealerships.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I was very impressed with the Salks I heard, Nuances RT ST's and then TJHUB's HT2-TL's, very nice...

I should be seeing them today, their going to stop buy my place today to check out the new Funky Waves LMS build and Terry is picking up my old DIY boxes so he can get a pair of LMS's for himself... :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The KEF 201/2 retail $6,000/pr.
That would be mid-priced according to Joseph Audio.
I would like to audition the Salk speakers, but it's almost impossible without dealerships.
Where are you?

There are many Salk owners that are always glad to show off their speakers to strangers. See the Salk owner's audition list thread at Audiocircles. I'm on that list.

Jim Salk is located near Detroit and Dennis Murphy is in Bethesda, MD near Washington. Their homes are the only Salk showrooms anywhere.

Edit: Frank Van Alstine, a small ID amp and preamp maker near St. Paul, MN, also has 3 pairs of Salks, HT3, HT2-TL, and SongTowers.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Edit: Frank Van Alstine, a small ID amp and preamp maker near St. Paul, MN, also has 3 pairs of Salks, HT3, HT2-TL, and SongTowers.
I don't think you want to audition any speaker with something as risky as tubes. Hopefully he has his Insight amps set up to the salks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Jim Salk is located near Detroit and Dennis Murphy is in Bethesda, MD near Washington. Their homes are the only Salk showrooms anywhere.
I live in Oklahoma City.

I usually don't feel very comfortable going into someone's house unless I know them pretty well :eek: -- or unless they're friends of my brother.:D

I wouldn't mind going into Jim Salk's house because it would be like going into a Salk dealer.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Going into a Salk owner' house is no different... these guys are fanatic :eek: salesman
:D LOL :D

I guess if they actually listed their names, it means they are fully willing to show off their stuff, huh?:D

You won't see my name listed anywhere on the Linkwitz Orion website.

My wife would kick everyone out of the house.:eek:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
:D LOL :D

I guess if they actually listed their names, it means they are fully willing to show off their stuff, huh?:D

You won't see my name listed anywhere on the Linkwitz Orion website.

My wife would kick everyone out of the house.:eek:
To each his own :). I've had a half dozen or so people come to my house to hear speakers. I think its fun. Those visits may have made at least 3 or 4 sales for Salk.

Is Oklahoma City near Norman? skyline_123 lives there. He built those DIY ER18 MTM speakers. I've never met him face to face, but by email he's great. Dennis Murphy designed these speakers and they sound very similar to Salk HT2-TLs. You seem to love hearing different speakers. If you're curious why not send him a PM? The worst that can happen is he'll say no, but I kinda think he would love to show them off.

Considering that you like Orions and those KEFs, I'd like to hear your opinion of the ER 18 MTMs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To each his own :). I've had a half dozen or so people come to my house to hear speakers. I think its fun. Those visits may have made at least 3 or 4 sales for Salk.

Is Oklahoma City near Norman? skyline_123 lives there. He built those DIY ER18 MTM speakers. I've never met him face to face, but by email he's great. Dennis Murphy designed these speakers and they sound very similar to Salk HT2-TLs. You seem to love hearing different speakers. If you're curious why not send him a PM? The worst that can happen is he'll say no, but I kinda think he would love to show them off.

Considering that you like Orions and those KEFs, I'd like to hear your opinion of the ER 18 MTMs.
Sean and I have exchanged PMs before. I live < 30 miles from Norman. One of these days Sean and I will just have to audition each others' speakers.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis