Kef R3 Meta alternative?

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi,
I live in Denmark and ordered 4 x Kef R3 Meta plus an R6C (along with an SVS SB 3000 Micro sub) a couple of months ago. This is for my new setup in my living room (used to have a dedicated room in my old house). Unfortunately delivery of the Kef speakers is taking forever and nobody knows when they will actually be available...
I'm wondering if there are good alternatives that I should look at instead? The new SVS Ultra Evolution Bookshelf speakers look pretty good but I'm guessing that the Kef would still be quite a bit better? I don't have a ton of space. The room is 6 metres by 4 metres (approximately). So I think that standmounts are the best fit. (The Kef are probably a little too big to begin with). And WAF is very important... I have looked at Mofi but the design is not as nice as the Kefs IMHO. Maybe Sonus or Focal? Looks like Sonus have speakers for wall mounting and that might actually work quite well in my room
Anyway: Thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I will likely just be patient and wait for the Kefs but since things are dragging out I might as well explore other options
/M

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Look at Perlisten R4b, PSB Synchrony B600, Sigberg SBS.1, Revel PerformaBe, Polk Legend L200, to name a few very good ones.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,
I live in Denmark and ordered 4 x Kef R3 Meta plus an R6C (along with an SVS SB 3000 Micro sub) a couple of months ago. This is for my new setup in my living room (used to have a dedicated room in my old house). Unfortunately delivery of the Kef speakers is taking forever and nobody knows when they will actually be available...
I'm wondering if there are good alternatives that I should look at instead? The new SVS Ultra Evolution Bookshelf speakers look pretty good but I'm guessing that the Kef would still be quite a bit better? I don't have a ton of space. The room is 6 metres by 4 metres (approximately). So I think that standmounts are the best fit. (The Kef are probably a little too big to begin with). And WAF is very important... I have looked at Mofi but the design is not as nice as the Kefs IMHO. Maybe Sonus or Focal? Looks like Sonus have speakers for wall mounting and that might actually work quite well in my room
Anyway: Thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I will likely just be patient and wait for the Kefs but since things are dragging out I might as well explore other options
/M
Making goods in China is not such a good idea.

Only the very top line speakers are made in Tovil, Kent, as years ago they all were, until a Gold Peak industries of China bought KEF.

Now the Chinese are too busy making weapons for Russia to lob at Ukraine. Add to that the Red Sea has been virtually abandoned and the route via Suez is now replaced with the onerous route round the Cape of Good Hope, to get to Europe from China. It is now winter at the Cape, and a good deal of the time those ugly and unsafe container ships are not seaworthy enough to round the Cape in rough weather.

The West sold the "Crown Jewels" and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

We have been ruled by former residents of insane asylums.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would stick to the big names like KEF, Focal, Dynaudio, Revel, RBH, Monitor Audio.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,
/M
Since you are in Denmark, I would go with Spendor. Spendor speakers are widely available in Europe. It is a company founded and run by ex BBC engineers. They have made top of the line speakers for years.

If it is a bookshelf speaker you want, they have some excellent options for you in their Classic line.

Your dealer in Denmark is Exotic Audio.

Spendor speakers are made entirely in England, no part of them in China.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There is nothing to say that you can't get a small budget pair to play with in the mean time. Some of the modern budget types are surprisingly fun and adequate to listen to, at least for music. Perhaps something local on the used market? I found some killer deals on Facebook market and the likes, here. My alternate systems are easily demountable. If I had an overbearing spouse, I could drag it out into my utility room or garage, and turn it up just loud enough so that the exalted ruler could not hear the beers crackin and just live it up.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions and the explanation of why the estimated delivery is dragging out. Pretty interesting actually.
I'll have a look at Spendor. Never heard about them before. I will likely wait till the end of June and see if there is any movement. Going on a small vacation in a couple of weeks. So will assess when I'm back. Crazy that you have to wait this long. I thought I had plenty of time since I placed the order back in March...

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Hi,
/M
Thanks for the question. What speakers are readily available in Denmark? Any that you can buy and try and return if they don’t work for you is where I’d start.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis