KEF Q50 Advice dull sound in one speaker

L

lister77

Audiophyte
Hi I was recently given a pair of Q50 KEFS Unfortunately one speaker sounds dull, muffled I know for sure its the speaker. I would love to keep them. I know nothing about speakers. Can I fix the speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that a bi-ampable speaker? If so you could remove the jumpers on the other one, just power the woofer and see if it sounds the same as the dull one. I'll bet that's what it is tho. Search for a replacement tweeter.

Oof. Is it concentric tho..? I never had one of those apart before... ima go Google your speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are these your speakers? First thing that came up were atmos speakers. I figured those probably weren't it.

357204-db313056-kef_q50_speakers.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi I was recently given a pair of Q50 KEFS Unfortunately one speaker sounds dull, muffled I know for sure its the speaker. I would love to keep them. I know nothing about speakers. Can I fix the speaker.
I bet the tweeter is blown. Unfortunately the tweeter is no longer available. However there is a replacement tweeter available on eBay.

I had one of the tweeters on one of my SEAS dual concentrics blow. That unit is very similar to that KEF driver. The SEAS concentric is produced under license from KEF. I had no instructions, but I managed to figure out how to do the replacement.

Since the parts are NLA, the speaker exchange no longer offers repair of that driver.

If you order the part and don't feel you are capable of doing the job, I would be prepared to do it for you. I hope is is no worse than doing the SEAS!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I bet the tweeter is blown. Unfortunately the tweeter is no longer available. However there is a replacement tweeter available on eBay.

I had one of the tweeters on one of my SEAS dual concentrics blow. That unit is very similar to that KEF driver. The SEAS concentric is produced under license from KEF. I had no instructions, but I managed to figure out how to do the replacement.

Since the parts are NLA, the speaker exchange no longer offers repair of that driver.

If you order the part and don't feel you are capable of doing the job, I would be prepared to do it for you. I hope is is no worse than doing the SEAS!
That's a great find! I'd snatch that up.

You're still in good shape at 99 bucks into it with a free pair of speakers. This is the kinda thing I love to do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis