KEF Q100 or Infinity Reference 162

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Both speakers above are priced well at the moment and I am thinking of jumping on one of these. Which is the better speaker?

I already have the JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor and it sounds fantastic. Does anyone think moving to one of these other speakers would be better than the 305's?

This will be for a 2.0 desktop setup with the speakers being placed 2 feet in front of me in a 15' x 15' living room. I already have a receiver, so no problem there. What do you guys think?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm why not order both and do your own comparison? That way, you will know for sure. Send back the set that you like the least. Of the three you mention, I will say you are going to be fine with any of them inmho. I also own the 305's for my desktop. No hurry to move onto something else. That should tell you something. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
While these are good speakers at a great price, I think moving from a LSR305 to either would be more of a lateral move, and I wouldn't bother.

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Ummm why not order both and do your own comparison? That way, you will know for sure. Send back the set that you like the least. Of the three you mention, I will say you are going to be fine with any of them inmho. I also own the 305's for my desktop. No hurry to move onto something else. That should tell you something. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks for your opinion. I just can't stand returning things. I just need to figure out where I can audition these locally

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
While these are good speakers at a great price, I think moving from a LSR305 to either would be more of a lateral move, and I wouldn't bother.
You think so? I know both of those speakers were between $400-$500 originally so I was hoping there would be a bigger difference in quality.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Biaed opinion but I think the KEF Q100's would impress you. They do most people who buy them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Both speakers above are priced well at the moment and I am thinking of jumping on one of these. Which is the better speaker?

I already have the JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor and it sounds fantastic. Does anyone think moving to one of these other speakers would be better than the 305's?
Here is a review of the smaller R152 -- with some comments about the KEF Q100
http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/12/infinity-reference-r152-infinitys-high.html

The Infinity has free return shipping -- so easily worth the risk and test

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No, their own e-commerce website does not. KEFDirect.com charges a 15% restocking fee.

However, most of their retailers do have much more friendly return policies. Amazon and Accessoris4Less.com are both good.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You think so? I know both of those speakers were between $400-$500 originally so I was hoping there would be a bigger difference in quality.
I think what he is saying is that around this general price point, it really becomes more personal preference and wants vs. a clear-cut best speaker

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Ummm why not order both and do your own comparison? That way, you will know for sure. Send back the set that you like the least.
What a great idea! Screw the businesses that offer a free return policy by misusing them, keep prices higher for the rest of us, and keep the B-stock inventories high as a consolation! Awesome strategy! ;-)

Matt34

Matt34

The JBL's you have are going to be hard to beat, I also have those hooked up to my PC gaming rig and have no intentions of switching them out anytime soon.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What a great idea! Screw the businesses that offer a free return policy by misusing them, keep prices higher for the rest of us, and keep the B-stock inventories high as a consolation! Awesome strategy! ;-)
There is nothing wrong with ordering both and comparing them. Many many people do that. I never mentioned ANYTHING about a free return policy. If the OP is wanting to compare the speakers that he mentioned, then what is wrong with comparing directly and knowing which one he prefers right in his own home?

JBL does have a free return policy, but not exactly sure about Infinity. Chances are they do as well given that they are part of the Harmon Group. Acc4Less does NOT offer free returns and neither does KEF Direct. Not exactly sure where you are getting that I encouraged the OP to get something for free. Moreover, the OP may be better off paying a little bit of return shipping in order to get the sound that he prefers.

I also own the 305's. In fact, I have owned (2) sets. Hence, I agree in that for the money they will be very hard to beat in the near-field. That is why I am not in any hurry trying to replace them. Especially, with my neck surgery coming up right around the corner. No need to attack anyone here. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all your opinions. I don't really like having to return items even though some of their return policy's are okay with that. Overall, it is still extra cost for them as far as shipping goes and they probably do have to label the return stock differently. I think I am going to have to go to one of Best Buy's Magnolia Centers to look at the KEF's if they still have those. Only 50 miles away, but it may be worth it. I do still love my JBL's, but sometimes I feel they may be TOO in my face and direct at times with the sound... even though they actually are right in my face.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I used to have this philosophy; however, with the advent of mail order business, I started calling and speaking with the distributors (sometimes owners in the case of smaller ID companies and sales/CS reps for others). I was very specific (as a generic example) telling them I intended to also buy model X and model Y speakers and planned to only keep the one I preferred. In every case, they said "that is exactly why we have our return policy". Some companies like SVS choose to include free return shipping and others like Hsu do not. I think that may be one contributing factor to SVS being somewhat more expensive for the same level of performance as compared to Hsu. However, I know many people who have ordered SVS over the other companies simply because it was very important for them to "try before you buy" (...well, keep) without any financial risk, and willing to pay extra for that convenience. My point is these companies see it as part of the mail/internet distribution model and if you spoke with them, I'd bet they don't think their policy is being abused. If this policy causes them to fail, it is from making an inferior product! OTOH, part of their calculus is that many people aren't going to want to bother with a return, but want the assurance they could if they wanted!

As an aside, PSA is unique, AFAIK, for having offered free return shipping then discontinuing it. As I understand it, the policy worked well with him initially as the buyers who bought from PSA researched their purchases well before buying from a "no-name" brand. However, as PSA built a reputation, more people were buying their subs on recommendation without doing much homework. My understanding is that Tom V. got frustrated because he was starting to get more and more returns with explanations like "it was too big". The idea that the cost of his subs had to factor in return shipping for people who weren't willing to assess the dimensions of the sub before ordering caused him to change his business model. That is his prerogative, and I have no idea how it has effected his sales; however it is ultimately the distributors choice on how they want to manage returns.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
When you take a nap or snooze you can miss out -- the R162 is sold out

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Mine came in today. And the RC263 as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis