KEF Q100 Connection

Willis927

Willis927

Enthusiast
Hey everyone. I have what is probably a really dumb question. I have a pair of KEF Q100 speakers and I'm not sure I'm connecting the speaker wire correctly. I was under the impression that they required banana plugs but that doesn't appear to be the case. Best I can tell, you loosen the post, slide the speaker wire in a tighten back down. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No, you've got it right, and you've got a good head on your shoulders for realizing that. You would be surprised at how many people don't realize this.

Those connections are called "5 way binding posts" and you CAN use banana plugs, or you can use spade lugs, or you can use pin connectors inserted into the hole of the center post, or you can insert a bare wire into that same hole, or you can simply strip a wire, wrap it around that center post. With the last four, you simply need to tighten down the nuts.

Willis927

Willis927

Enthusiast
Thanks man. I thought I was missing something but I guess I'm smarter than I thought. Ha ha.

Also, I still can't figure out the banana plug option. There is a plastic cap on top of each post that is connected to the speaker. The other options make sense.

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
You should be able to remove the caps- euros put them there to keep imbeciles from "plugging them in" as the distance and shape between the binding posts and electrical outlet holes over there are the the same.
Cheers, Mac

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Like already said you got it right. Imo best way to connect your speakers is the bare wire like you did.

M

marksas

Audioholic Intern
Those little colored tabs come out, they're there so you don't mix up polarity, on my B&W's they were in pretty tight and took a few minutes to pry out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis