KEF Q 150 vs ELAC DBR62

N

ndiaz

Audioholic Intern
Hi Community!

Writing to you all in hope to help me decide which speaker would be best for my use case scenario.

I’m planning on building a 5.1 in my living room. It will be powered by a Denon X1600H.

From what I’ve seen the difference in price is $100 for the pair. So IF the ELAC is the better choice, I wouldn't mind. Now, I’m planning on buying 2 Pairs because I will be using them as LCR. So my question is: Which speaker is the better “center channel speaker”? Since it will be laying sideways.

Thank you all!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Community!

Writing to you all in hope to help me decide which speaker would be best for my use case scenario.

I’m planning on building a 5.1 in my living room. It will be powered by a Denon X1600H.

From what I’ve seen the difference in price is $100 for the pair. So IF the ELAC is the better choice, I wouldn't mind. Now, I’m planning on buying 2 Pairs because I will be using them as LCR. So my question is: Which speaker is the better “center channel speaker”? Since it will be laying sideways.

Thank you all!

KEF better all round. No contest!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
In general you don't want to lay a 2-way speaker on it's side. They are designed to operate upright as the frequency response in the vertical axis will be different from the horizontal axis. There are few exceptions. If you need to lay the centre on its side and can't afford or fit a dedicated centre channel speaker like the Q250C, then a speaker with a coaxial design like the KEF Q150 is a good option as they work in both orientations. Another good example is the Hsu CCB-8.

N

ndiaz

Audioholic Intern
In general you don't want to lay a 2-way speaker on it's side. They are designed to operate upright as the frequency response in the vertical axis will be different from the horizontal axis. There are few exceptions. If you need to lay the centre on its side and can't afford or fit a dedicated centre channel speaker like the Q250C, then a speaker with a coaxial design like the KEF Q150 is a good option as they work in both orientations. Another good example is the Hsu CCB-8.
Those were my thoughts exactly. I would lean more to the ELAC for perhaps a 2ch operation but since I’m trying to go for an LCR situation & seating arrangement is ever changing as well as wide, seems coaxial designs are better suited. Thank you for providing me with another alternative! If there’s anything out there coaxial, easy to drive & white feel free to recommend!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why just those two choices? Kef may have some nice stuff, but it isn't all on the same level....same for Elac. Let alone other choices.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have 3 HSU CCB-8s across the Front in our Atmos setup in the games room, and IMHO they are outstanding. You can buy them as a 3 Speaker set, and even bundle them with their Subs for discounts these days. They turn the speaker terminals pod (where you connect it) on one of the 3 speakers to make it easier to connect (not that it's a big deal.)

Don't just take my word for it - check out the reviews.

N

ndiaz

Audioholic Intern
Why just those two choices? Kef may have some nice stuff, but it isn't all on the same level....same for Elac. Let alone other choices.
I’m open to any other. They just need to be White. I found those both to be aesthetically matching & pleasing with my living room set up but it would like it to have a good of-axis respond since the speaker of choice will need to work as an LCR set. Also, budget. KEF Q150 seems to fit the bill. I’m down with CCB8 everybody recommends, just wish it was white.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m open to any other. They just need to be White. I found those both to be aesthetically matching & pleasing with my living room set up but it would like it to have a good of-axis respond since the speaker of choice will need to work as an LCR set. Also, budget. KEF Q150 seems to fit the bill. I’m down with CCB8 everybody recommends, just wish it was white.
Can't help you with white speakers, I find them abhorrent.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Abhorrent? That's a pretty strong word for an aesthetic choice. :D I think white speakers can look great with the proper decor, but to each his own.

For coaxial designs in home theatre there are limited options. Best four are probably TAD, KEF, Hsu and Genelec. I don't think Tannoy makes a coaxial bookshelf. TAD will be out of the op's price range. Genelec makes great compact speakers including studio reference monitors, but again, likely out of the op's price range. For under $1000 it's pretty much KEF or Hsu unless someone can find some other options I'm unaware of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Abhorrent? That's a pretty strong word for an aesthetic choice. :D I think white speakers can look great with the proper decor, but to each his own.

For coaxial designs in home theatre there are limited options. Best four are probably TAD, KEF, Hsu and Genelec. I don't think Tannoy makes a coaxial bookshelf. TAD will be out of the op's price range. Genelec makes great compact speakers including studio reference monitors, but again, likely out of the op's price range. For under $1000 it's pretty much KEF or Hsu unless someone can find some other options I'm unaware of.
In that I never consider such as a result, so really not aware of what is available in such a finish....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis