MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Has anybody listened to those KEF's?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Has anybody listened to those KEF's?
Pretty sure @PENG has them for his bedroom system.
He would't be using them if he didn't like them.

I bought a pair, they weren't for me, and I returned them. I might have kept them at $1000!
Of course, the imaging is incredible. I'm not sure anything images as well as concentric drivers (well, a single full-range driver:)). However, I did not like the effect of the waveguide (essentially, the midrange cone is a waveguide for the tweeter). They did lots of things well and I realize this is more about personal preference (as opposed to some speakers that do things fundamentally wrong).

This is an Amazon Prime item, so give them a listen! Returns are easy!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty sure @PENG has them for his bedroom system.
He would't be using them if he didn't like them.

I bought a pair, they weren't for me, and I returned them. I might have kept them at $1000!
Of course, the imaging is incredible. I'm not sure anything images as well as concentric drivers (well, a single full-range driver:)). However, I did not like the effect of the waveguide (essentially, the midrange cone is a waveguide for the tweeter). They did lots of things well and I realize this is more about personal preference (as opposed to some speakers that do things fundamentally wrong).

This is an Amazon Prime item, so give them a listen! Returns are easy!
I wish I could put them in my bedroom.:D They were in my sitting room side by side with the R900. I like them a lot, but with a subwoofer only. It they were in my bedroom they would be fine by themselves.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Only 33% off? I was expecting close to 50% off like the Denon Sales. :D

I bought the KEF 201/2 for 50% off. :cool:

Ryan Laposky

Ryan Laposky

Junior Audioholic
Are these good for Home theater or just music listening? How do these compare to Sierra 2?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Are these good for Home theater or just music listening? How do these compare to Sierra 2?
These speakers are what are called "near field monitors". Near field monitors often sit on the corners of the mixing console or at a work station. For residential use they make good desktop computer speakers to sit on either side of a monitor. IMO, they don't have enough bass punch in the 50-100Hz octave to be effective as main speakers in an audio system, but maybe I'm wrong. These things don't need a subwoofer, they need a woofer. ;-)

Ryan Laposky

Ryan Laposky

Junior Audioholic
These speakers are what are called "near field monitors". Near field monitors often sit on the corners of the mixing console or at a work station. For residential use they make good desktop computer speakers to sit on either side of a monitor. IMO, they don't have enough bass punch in the 50-100Hz octave to be effective as main speakers in an audio system, but maybe I'm wrong. These things don't need a subwoofer, they need a woofer. ;-)
Has anyone heard RSL speakers? I was debating between a full RSL system (cg3) or maybe LS50 with a sub to start and then add to it over time. RSL has great reviews so I'm trying to figure out what to do. This would be for home theater use.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can't put a finger on why, but ls50's (which I had for 2 weeks) just don't strike me as proper HT speakers. Part of it is they are just a small box and for HT you need more ability for "loud slam" (of course some music wants "loud slam" too). If I can speak in loose subjective terms, I might say the ls50 is too "refined" to be a good HT (or heavy metal) speaker! Its forte is subtle detail, IMHO.
I have not heard RSL, but always wanted to. I think they are a good option. However, I think buying a good 2.1 set of speakers and filling in the gaps later is the best course of action (I would buy another Ultra BS for the center and save money on the surrounds, IME, the surrounds just are not so critical - plenty of options, but a pair of NHT Super Zeros would be a good surrounds to match the Ultras, and easy to wall mount)
With that thought, the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers are $1000/pr and are a great fit for both, HT and music!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I wish I could put them in my bedroom.:D They were in my sitting room side by side with the R900. I like them a lot, but with a subwoofer only. It they were in my bedroom they would be fine by themselves.
Do you use subwoofer for music as well? How big is your room? Our experiences are so diverse... I often think I might even skip all the sub business when I play them loud with some music that has deep bass. It would seem my room brings out the bass (which is likely).
Whether it's magic or something else I'm not equipped to say...:) But these speakers, no matter how small, make my bowels tremble. I'm sitting 9' from them on a couch and through the couch I feel vibrations climbing in my guts. Now, subjective preference is one thing, but if you feel the trembling in your chest, I'd say that's physics and not impression.

You will have to give LS50's a go. They have already changed so many people's minds, you might be one of them.

Probably one of the most abused marketing phrases is that a small speaker is playing bigger than it is, but it rings true for these.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you use subwoofer for music as well? How big is your room? Our experiences are so diverse... I often think I might even skip all the sub business when I play them loud with some music that has deep bass. It would seem my room brings out the bass (which is likely).

Whether it's magic or something else I'm not equipped to say...:) But these speakers, no matter how small, make my bowels tremble. I'm sitting 9' from them on a couch and through the couch I feel vibrations climbing in my guts. Now, subjective preference is one thing, but if you feel the trembling in your chest, I'd say that's physics and not impression.

You will have to give LS50's a go. They have already changed so many people's minds, you might be one of them.

Probably one of the most abused marketing phrases is that a small speaker is playing bigger than it is, but it rings true for these.
That room is about 11X25X9 including the dinning room that is almost completely open to the living room and I sit 10-11 ft from the LS50s. I use the system for music only. I thought they sounded great and was quite happy with them without the sub, but after adding the sub I realize there's a difference. In fact, I would sell the sub (E15HP) if I can get 80% of what I paid and that's because for music that needs the sub I can just use the R900.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That room is about 11X25X9 including the dinning room that is almost completely open to the living room and I sit 10-11 ft from the LS50s. I use the system for music only. I thought they sounded great and was quite happy with them without the sub, but after adding the sub I realize there's a difference. In fact, I would sell the sub (E15HP) if I can get 80% of what I paid and that's because for music that needs the sub I can just use the R900.
I'm curious, what differences do you hear between the LS50 and the R900 (aside from the bass)?
Did you happen to listen to the R100 vs LS50?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm curious, what differences do you hear between the LS50 and the R900 (aside from the bass)?
Did you happen to listen to the R100 vs LS50?
No I have not heard the R100. I thought the R900 has wider sound stage but they are spread out more so it is hard to say. They just sound different overall, hard to say which pair I prefer, that's why I kept the LS50 otherwise they would have been totally redundant. Sorry for being wishy washy but I am being honest.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No I have not heard the R100. I thought the R900 has wider sound stage but they are spread out more so it is hard to say. They just sound different overall, hard to say which pair I prefer, that's why I kept the LS50 otherwise they would have been totally redundant. Sorry for being wishy washy but I am being honest.
No, I totally get that.
I have come to realize that there are plenty of good speakers out there that may have substantially different sound signatures, but I can still really enjoy them. The M-L electrostats are a perfect example of that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I totally get that.
I have come to realize that there are plenty of good speakers out there that may have substantially different sound signatures, but I can still really enjoy them. The M-L electrostats are a perfect example of that.
I should add that the LS50 does seem to have a touch more transparent sound and I have the feeling they will sound better than the R900 in a smaller room such as 11X16. Both measured poorly in their present location so if and when I have time I should really try some serious REQ. minidsp does not really work out for me that well so far in that environment and the equipment I have there.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally have heard the LS50 and I was really impressed how much bass they deliver for the size they are even on quite big room. Really good speaker for 1000$ and well worth the money. I would say they get quite close to R500 for sound quality with slightly different sound signature and less bass like you would expect due to the size of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis