KEF 2005.2 "replacements"

W

wilbur-force

Audiophyte
Ive been out of the AV world for quite some time but my kids have finally moved out so I have money to spend again :D

My trusty (i.e. "old") KEF 2005.2 speakers have done me well. Currently matched up to a SONY STR-DN1050 (not quite so old).

Last week the Subwoofer died. Making loud noises with no input (not a constant buzzing or a crackling - more a mixture of the two). Not sure if its worth fixing or not but ive obviously started looking at possible replacements.

The criteria ? Wifey says they have to look "nice" - the KEF "eggs" have been popular in the living room whereas black oblongs would be banned. Floor standing speakers are a definite no. The room is about 20 foot by 10 foot so not huge.

Ive been looking at some of the following:
- Focal Dome (Flax or Dome sub)
- B&W MT-50 and MT-60D
- Monitor Audio Mass
- Dali Fazon 3
- KEF 305 (at a push as these look big:p)

my question is this - are any of the above likely to be a big improvement over my existing KEFs ? Ive always been impressed by the sound and volume they provided and the 10" KEF sub worked well until recently.

If none will be noticeably better i may well just try and repair/replace my existing sub. if i'm likely to be blown away by newer speakers then take my money now !

Or does anyone have any other options to throw into the mix maybe ? (not just standard box speakers though)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis