Keep my Polks or buy Klipsch RPs

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Ok, I presently have Polk Rti a7's and the matching CSI6 center in my bedroom. These speakers have much WAF approval as they are cherry wood with a real wood veneer. They look really nice and frankly sound pretty good too as they are known to need some power but have 200WPC amps for the front 3.

I ordered a used Klipsch RP-504c center from Adorama used condition E to just try it out for around $320. Not a bad deal for a $750 speaker. I quickly noted that it didn't seem that much better than the CSI6 but sounded good and did not of course match well with the RtiA7s.

Long story, I can get a really good deal (real cheap) on some RP-280Fs that would match better with the center and I've heard good things. But my initial thought is to just return the RP-504c center and just keep the polks and be happy with them. This would partly be due to the fact that those rti a7 cherry wood speakers look very nice in our bedroom.

Any thoughts on whether I should try out the 280s for those who have heard them? Or is the upgrade likely not that incremental and not worth the time?

Wanted to seek your input before I take the 504c to the UPS store to ship back :)

Thanks for reading

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Upgrading in definition means bettering your situation or bettering your gear I do not feel your bettering your gear or your situation by going to those Klipsch speakers just my opinion

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
save your money and aim higher
i agree with this , i think if you really have a bug to get something now maybe wait till the jbl 5 series speaker that is the right size for your application goes on sale.. i'm sure you know klipsch can be a bit tough to listen to in some applications..

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
maybe wait till the jbl 5 series speaker that is the right size for your application goes on sale.. i
They are on sale

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Upgrades over the Polk Rti

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
save your money and aim higher
@Kleinst - I 100% agree with Z - save your money and aim higher. Polk is famous for having budget priced speakers with a pretty finish and average quality sound (LSI series is neither (cheap or bad sounding) - I actually like their sound quite a lot).
You should aim higher to ascend acoustics, HSU (CCB-8), Salk Sound - all of these offer nice wood grain finishes on their speakers.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, I thank you for all for confirming. I think my systems in my house are to the point where those tempting super hot deals that I have enjoyed participating in (used or new) are really somewhat just a waste of time now. Shoot I could probably flip the deal that I can get and pocket a few hundred but my time might not be worth that.

Few things I learned in buying that Klipsch center

1) Glad I can return it. Might lose a little on shipping but still. Gave me a chance to listen at home and realize that is wasn't really that much better if at all to my Polk CSIa6

2) Sometimes you can mix front speakers. My Infinity RC263 mixes well with my JBL 590s. But sometimes it doesn't work. In this case, the klipsch didn't mix well with the polk towers meaning I would have had to go buy the 280's. But probably not worth all that trouble.

3) If I'm going to upgrade any of my systems, it really better be for a real step change OR replace something that broke. Reality is I enjoy buying and selling this stuff but sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

I welcome more opinions on this if anyone has any but definitely leaning towards returning the klipsch center today and not buying the 280's and keeping the Polks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's lacking in the bedroom system in terms of performance, or what are you looking to improve in there by changing speakers? My bedroom systems always get what was last upgraded in my main setup....sort of focuses the needs for change where they count, in the main setup :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just putting my finger on the scale, even though it's already tipped from the sound of it...
Don't.
You can do better than the Polks, but you're looking at lateral moves at best by your earlier post.

If you wanted towers at a great price, while improving your rig, the Prime Pinnacles are a great option, but not in a lovely wood veneer.
Beyond that, if you wanted to look at long-haul speakers with a higher SAF; Ascend, Salk, Philharmonic are where I would put my money.

Cheers!

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, totally agree. Wasted a little bit of money sending that center back and didn’t buy the towers but it was a good exercise in a way to figure out what I don’t want. Thanks for the input

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis