Just wondering about SW placement with my situation

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hello - I am looking to get 2 JTR Captivators and wondering about placement.

I am wondering if placing the sub a couple of inches from the back wall would be a problem?

I will do the crawl and I am aware that the bass would be weaker if they are pulled away from the corner but it would look nice in between the main speakers as well but just not sure how they would perform. I am asking because I am trying to imagine the space with those 2 SWers in the room. The following pics reveal the situation.... Please let me know what you think.

positioning the subs behind the couch? Would it really affect the centre channel performance for dialogue?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmkNrbuR

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the subs are properly dialed in with the rest of the system, they will have no affect on dialogue intelligibility. The only way they could is if you ran them really really hot.

Placing a sub a couple of inches from the backwall is not going to be of concern. Pulling them away from the corner does not necessarily make them weaker. It will simply change the response a bit. It could even change the response for the better.

If you want to know the best placements for your subs, you have to measure the responses for each given placement. If it were me, I would try to borrow a small sub that has a flat response, and use that to test different positions. Once you find the best spots, place the JTRs there. Sub crawl might be a good idea if you can move your couch and place the sub where you would normally sit spatially relative in room. You still need to measure the responses though.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Good points Shady.. Just trying to get a vision before I actually buy them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could also play around with REW's Room Sim feature in the meantime....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis