Just Purchased Pearl, Need input on Screens

G

giffer

Audiophyte
I just purchased the widely acclaimed Sony Pearl projector. I had the opportunity to see it at a local dealer, and I was awestruck. They also had a Runco 3 Chip DLP projector (Approximately $ 50K, as set up, according to the dealer) set up with all of the bells and whistles and I honestly didn't see any noticeable improvement with Runco. Add to that that the Runco was fully calibrated and paired with a Stewart Screen, and the Sony was literally pulled out of a box and set up on a table, projected on a mediocre screen and looked awesome. Needless to say I was sold.

That however brings me to the purposed of this post, I definately am looking to get the most out of my projector and my home theatre, this has been over a year in the making and I have spent alot of painstaking hours building what I consider my dream home theatre. The next logical step in the process is to select my screen. I have narrowed it down to two companies, Carada and Stewart. I was all but sold on Carada, until I noticed that Stewart has developed a screen specifically for this projector. Any input, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to contact either company to discuss my options, but so you have the necessary information, I have provided both my theatre dimensions and also my components that round out my theatre.

Room is 22 Feet Long x 14 Feet wide, with the exception of the wall that the screen will be mounted on which is approximately 12 Feet wide due to an access to a storage area behind that wall

There will be two rows of seats the second row approximately 6 inches above the first. The first row of seats will be approximately 12 Feet from the screen

The lighting in the room is completely controlled, ie. no issue with unwanted ambient light.

The following is the components that have either been purchased or will be in the very near future

Sony Pearl Projector (as mentioned)
Denon 4306 Receiver
Sony BluRay DVD (not yet purchased)
Denon 3930CI DVD player
Velodyne DD18 Sub (not yet purchased)
2 x Axiom M80 Towers
4 x Axiom QS8 Surrounds
1 x Axiom VP150
Conditioners, etc, tbd

The 2 screens that I am debating about are the Carada 110" Criterion Series screen with 1.3 gain Brilliant White Screen material, and the Stewart Luxus Deluxe Fixed Screen 110" with the new Firehawk SST with 1.1 gain Screen material. This has apparantly been designed in conjunction with Sony for the Pearl projector

While price is always a factor, I want to ensure that it is not at the expense of ultimate performance.

Hope this helps with anyone wishing to provide me with input.

Thanks in advance,
Giffer :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
giffer said:
I just purchased the widely acclaimed Sony Pearl projector. I had the opportunity to see it at a local dealer, and I was awestruck. They also had a Runco 3 Chip DLP projector (Approximately $ 50K, as set up, according to the dealer) set up with all of the bells and whistles and I honestly didn't see any noticeable improvement with Runco. Add to that that the Runco was fully calibrated and paired with a Stewart Screen, and the Sony was literally pulled out of a box and set up on a table, projected on a mediocre screen and looked awesome. Needless to say I was sold.

That however brings me to the purposed of this post, I definately am looking to get the most out of my projector and my home theatre, this has been over a year in the making and I have spent alot of painstaking hours building what I consider my dream home theatre. The next logical step in the process is to select my screen. I have narrowed it down to two companies, Carada and Stewart. I was all but sold on Carada, until I noticed that Stewart has developed a screen specifically for this projector. Any input, advice, would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to contact either company to discuss my options, but so you have the necessary information, I have provided both my theatre dimensions and also my components that round out my theatre.

Room is 22 Feet Long x 14 Feet wide, with the exception of the wall that the screen will be mounted on which is approximately 12 Feet wide due to an access to a storage area behind that wall

There will be two rows of seats the second row approximately 6 inches above the first. The first row of seats will be approximately 12 Feet from the screen

The lighting in the room is completely controlled, ie. no issue with unwanted ambient light.

The following is the components that have either been purchased or will be in the very near future

Sony Pearl Projector (as mentioned)
Denon 4306 Receiver
Sony BluRay DVD (not yet purchased)
Denon 3930CI DVD player
Velodyne DD18 Sub (not yet purchased)
2 x Axiom M80 Towers
4 x Axiom QS8 Surrounds
1 x Axiom VP150
Conditioners, etc, tbd

The 2 screens that I am debating about are the Carada 110" Criterion Series screen with 1.3 gain Brilliant White Screen material, and the Stewart Luxus Deluxe Fixed Screen 110" with the new Firehawk SST with 1.1 gain Screen material. This has apparantly been designed in conjunction with Sony for the Pearl projector

While price is always a factor, I want to ensure that it is not at the expense of ultimate performance.

Hope this helps with anyone wishing to provide me with input.

Thanks in advance,
Giffer :)

A lot of people like Carada, and Stewart at the same time. What is the price difference?

Make sure you have it ISF calibrated by someone who has done the Pearl or the Ruby that has been out for a while now. I have the latter of both with 1.5 gain screen and 100"x54" roll up.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
I am getting a very similar setup with the pearl, all the same axiom components, 2 velodyne 12s and a pioneer elite 84. I am probably going to go with a carada screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis