Just bought a Hitachi LCD projector

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
hello all!

We have recently purchased a Hitachi LCD projector and 106 in screne, what I am most impressed with is the colors of our movies now...

However what I have noticed is that there will be the odd movie where you can see the screne lines in some of the movies , especially in skin tones, faces etc....

is this because the quality of our screne is not that great? just curious, overall I am a hige sci fi fan and love watching all my sci fi's on this big screne

for others who have just recently purchased An LCD and screne I suggest the movie "The chronicals of Ridick" directors cut.. excellent quality

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Need an actual projector model number. Akin to: I just bought a Chevrolet and it doesn't accelerate as quickly as I would like... could it be the gas?

It likely is NOT the screen, but the setup of the projector, the connection you are using to the projector or something else.

What DVD player?
How is it connected to the projector?
Through a receiver?
Model of projector?
Distance from 106" (diagonal?) screen you are sitting?

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
Sony DVd player DVP-NS575P/ (we are taking this back however for Sony DVPNS775)
component video- directly from dvd
not through reciever- (Sony STR-DE597 6.1)
Hitachi PJTX10
we sit 15 feet from screne

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm... My only real guess here is that you are using a screen that is a little large. You will want to check to see if the lines you are seeing are actually the screen, or more likely the gaps between the LCD pixels inside the projector. This is called screen door effect and as projectors improve every year, inter-pixel spacing is getting smaller and smaller and the screen door effect is going away.

I have a little bit of it on my 960x540 projector, also on a 106" screen.

You can slightly defocus the image to reduce the effect, or live with it. A new screen will not likely help.

Read the reviews on www.projectorcentral.com (which won't help you much) but also look at this review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/hitachi_home_1.htm Which covers their slightly upgraded model to what you have.

There is specific mention of visible pixels and to consider not using a screen larger than 90" diagonal.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
thx for your response! Actually we are quite happy with the projector, and we love the screne size as well....Don't foresee us getting a smaller screne, So we can live with the odd movie that shows lines in the pale skin tones

Is there any maintance to the screne? We noticed when we pulled our screne down earlier that it is wavy on the left side it doesnt effect the movie picture but this screne is only 4 weeks old

think I'll give the store a call tomorrow and ask about this

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
No, cheap screens are just that - cheap. I have a Da-Lite pull down screen and is has waves in it as well. The only real solution if your screen MUST be a roll up model is to get a tab-tensioned screen which will be perfectly flat for years and be of much higher quality.

The best way to go though is to use a permanently tensioned screen (or rigid front screen). Permanently wall mounted, tab-tensioned screens are hung on the wall like a picture frame with the screen material in the middle. They cost far less than their roll-up tab-tensioned counterparts and provide a flat, excellent viewing surface.

Lots of choices in screen material, but if you don't need the screen to roll up, then this is the most common installed screen that I ever see.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
Thx for your responses,

And we do pretty much need our screne to roll up... because we still watch our sony 48 in for reg tv, or satelite viewing, and our sony tv is sitting in behind the screne... (Hubby is already figuring out a way to modify this problem with the wrinkly screne hehehe!! )

Do you understand the "keystone" setting on your projector? we dont really understand what that is

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Did you mount the projector? How far is it from the screen? Did the projector come with mounting guidelines (it should have)? Make sure you have it properly placed.

Keystone correction ensures (for lack of a better term) the rectangularness of the projector's image. If you look at the edges of the image, you'll see that in most out of the box configurations, the image is not exactly rectangular. You can fool with the keystone settings all day and still not get it prefect (or at least that's been my experience). But you should be able to get it pretty close.

Good Luck with your new projector.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
Hi ! thx for the response

Yeah we went by the book so to speak in terms of setting up the projector, distance etc..

I just wasn't exactly sure what the keystone feature meant or what it did exactly

so lets see if i understand you correctly- when we watch a film if the movie is not lined up with the black on the sides of the screne, like say one side is sort of out , not fitting the screne right - thenn you would use the "keystone" feature to corect it?

is that correct, but if your mounted properly then you really dont even need this feature?

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Well, I was just wondering if the mounting recommendations were followed. Most projectors have guidelines for the screen size you use. So if your screen is 92" your projector might recommend mounting 8' - 10' from the screen. For a 110" screen, the distance might be 11' - 14'. These are just examples. Not meant to be actual values.

As for the keystone affects, this is caused when a projector is directed towards the screen at an angle. Here's a good illustration explaining how it is caused and why all (decent) projectors come with keystone correction features.

http://htrgroup.com/?tab=projector-docs&section=keystone

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Keystone correction is one of the worst features on a projector. MAKE SURE YOUR KEYSTONE IS SET TO ZERO! As soon as you turn keystone on in any direction you will very likely see a drastic drop in image quality.

If your projector does not offer optical lens shift, then it is critical to mount it in the correct position if you want the best image you possibly can have. The effect of turning kestone to +1 or -1 (whatever your projector calls it) should be a very dramatic worsening of image quality. Both horizontal and vertical kestone correction should be set to ZERO or right in the middle.

Anyway - that article is good, but does not emphasize enough how digital keystone correction can really make the image bad. Very important to mount a projector correctly and only use optical keystone correction (lens shift) and not digital.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
yeah my hubby says the same thing , he has ours set at zero

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis