Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom Blu-ray Massive Bass Content

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I recently purchased the 4K/BD combo of the Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom movie. I only viewed the Blu-ray disc as I haven't invested in UHD equipment as yet.

In my living room, using 3 ported front 8 cf enclosures each tuned at 16 Hz with a 15 inch sub in each , there is way too much deep bass coming out.
Normally, for music and concert Blu-ray discs, I set the Bass at -3dB using the tone control on the Marantz SR5010. But for this film, I set the Bass at -6dB. Even then, there is still a lot of bass being reproduced.

I don't have many action movies. I know my speakers and my listening room are major factors, but I still think that the Bass on this film is probably overkill.

As anyone viewed it on their HT system? If so, what is your impression on the bass content?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the disc set and on two of my systems (one with a 4k player, the other normal bluray) didn't find the LFE all that impressive using either disc nor did the bass range you're referring to seem odd. Never use the avr's bass tone control let alone a standard reduction but I use speakers/subs rather than full rangers like you....where is that bass tone control centered? 200hz or so in a 50-350hz range?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have the disc set and on two of my systems (one with a 4k player, the other normal bluray) didn't find the LFE all that impressive using either disc nor did the bass range you're referring to seem odd. Never use the avr's bass tone control let alone a standard reduction but I use speakers/subs rather than full rangers like you....where is that bass tone control centered? 200hz or so in a 50-350hz range?
I didn't test at which frequencies exactly and what slope is used on the avr's tone control. At present, the only other adjustment I could do would be to reduce the gain on the subs amplifiers which crossover at 200 Hz, until I purchase a good EQ product such as Dirac.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I didn’t experience that either. Iirc from graphs I’ve seen, this film was neutered at 30hz. IMO other than the filter it was a good track.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t experience that either. Iirc from graphs I’ve seen, this film was neutered at 30hz. IMO other than the filter it was a good track.
I tried to find it in the data-bass forum list of such movies, but they only had Jurassic World (which scored a 4.5 out of 5 on their list) that did score better than the other three (Jurassic Park, The Lost World and Jurassic Park III) I saw on their list.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I tried to find it in the data-bass forum list of such movies, but they only had Jurassic World (which scored a 4.5 out of 5 on their list) that did score better than the other three (Jurassic Park, The Lost World and Jurassic Park III) I saw on their list.
Iirc I saw it on the “other” forum. Lol
Too much to dig through atm...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My phone no can open...
Phone? Who uses a phone except when the power's out and you're huddled under the covers shielding yourself from freezing weather? :)

My tapatalk app shows unsupported video....looking at details it's a .png file. No video that I can see going on, tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Phone? Who uses a phone except when the power's out and you're huddled under the covers shielding yourself from freezing weather? :)

My tapatalk app shows unsupported video....looking at details it's a .png file. No video that I can see going on, tho.
Lol. That’s what mine said too. Unsupported video...
Im actually not at home which is fortunate. It’s getting pounded with more snow. Been a long winter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok. Desktop version on phone. Can see, very blurry. Still looks like about 30hz roll off? It’s a good track, just not very deep. Too bad too. My room
Is pretty flat with a natural bump at 16hz.
Green is peak dB and rolls off at 20hz, the red is average dB and has pretty good roll off at 30hz

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From the curves, there is a strong signal down to 20 Hz where it starts to roll off. According to BassBox 6 Pro, my subs have a response down to 20 Hz at -3dB.

That would confirm there is a lot of bass content in the soundtrack down to that frequency. But you need subwoofers that can reach down to that frequency to feel and maybe hear some of it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the curves, there is a strong signal down to 20 Hz where it starts to roll off. According to BassBox 6 Pro, my subs have a response down to 20 Hz at -3dB.

That would confirm there is a lot of bass content in the soundtrack down to that frequency. But you need subwoofers that can reach down to that frequency to feel and maybe hear some of it.
More like it has strong content to 30 hz. Still, this is well below where you're adjusting it seems. Not particularly massive bass content for sub fiends but it's there, maybe just more than most of the movies you generally watch as you mentioned.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
More like it has strong content to 30 hz. Still, this is well below where you're adjusting it seems. Not particularly massive bass content for sub fiends but it's there, maybe just more than most of the movies you generally watch as you mentioned.
Have you also noticed that TV commercials and even regular series nowadays have soundtracks with heavy low frequency content. IMO, that's a real annoyance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you also noticed that TV commercials and even regular series nowadays have soundtracks with heavy low frequency content. IMO, that's a real annoyance.
Yep, some are pretty bad with some of the bass boost applied.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

To me(agree with Chris), it looks like mostly a roll off at 30 which IMO, a lot of bass content around 30hz and NOT lower can be obnoxious. Like a boomy sub. My subs go below 20 easily and I also have a free room bump at 16hz(rew/umik measured) so I know I’m good there.
I’m only curious, have you measured your system at the LP?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To me(agree with Chris),it looks like mostly a roll off at 30 which IMO, a lot of bass content around 30hz and NOT lower can be obnoxious. Like a boomy sub. My subs go below 20 easily and I also have a free room bump at 16hz(rew/umik measured) so I know I’m good there.
I’m only curious, have you measured your system at the LP?
Like you said earlier, films these days getting "neutered" below 30hz all too often on the disc release. No fun at all...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis