Judge Denies Trump Request to Delay January 6 Civil Trial

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
In addition to the January 6 criminal case, Trump is also facing a civil lawsuit for his actions on January 6. Poor Trump, he's in the process of getting his A$$ handed to him in this case as well as all the others.

>>>A federal judge on Wednesday denied former President Trump’s attempt to delay a lawsuit against him seeking civil damages over the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack. . . . Sandra Garza, the longtime partner of Brian Sicknick, a U.S. Capitol Police officer who died hours after the Capitol attack, sued Trump just ahead of the second anniversary of Jan. 6. Sicknick was pepper sprayed during the attack and passed away the following day after suffering two strokes. The medical examiner months later ruled he died from natural causes, while noting that “all that transpired played a role in his condition.” The U.S. Capitol Police said Sicknick died in the line of duty. <<<

In fairness, I'm not so sure Trump will ultimately get his A$$ handed to him in this case. My initial impression is that this will not be an easy case for the plaintiff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He's slippery and has some in the system who are as corrupt as he is....hard to know.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
He's slippery and has some in the system who are as corrupt as he is....hard to know.
I'm not sure I follow? Judge Mehta has sentenced many January 6 rioters and rejected numerous defense arguments in those cases.

Mehta was appointed by Obama, and he's made it crystal clear that he's not a fan of Trump:

>>>A federal judge on Friday lamented that the people who believed “lies and falsehoods” about the election pushed by former president Donald Trump and others were the ones facing legal consequences when those who “created the conditions” that led to the Capitol riot “in no meaningful sense … have been held to account.”

US District Judge Amit Mehta didn’t use Trump’s name, but repeatedly referred to “an elected official” who called on people to come to Washington, DC, and told them to walk to the Capitol. In some of the strongest language from the bench so far denouncing the role that Trump and his allies played in stoking voter fraud conspiracy theories, Mehta said that the man he was preparing to sentence for illegally going into the Capitol, John Lolos, was “a pawn in a game that’s played and directed by people who should know better.”<<<

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/judge-accountability-capitol-riot-conditions

Who are the "some in the system who are as corrupt as he is"? Can you name them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure I follow? Judge Mehta has sentenced many January 6 rioters and rejected numerous defense arguments in those cases.

Mehta was appointed by Obama, and he's made it crystal clear that he's not a fan of Trump:

>>>A federal judge on Friday lamented that the people who believed “lies and falsehoods” about the election pushed by former president Donald Trump and others were the ones facing legal consequences when those who “created the conditions” that led to the Capitol riot “in no meaningful sense … have been held to account.”

US District Judge Amit Mehta didn’t use Trump’s name, but repeatedly referred to “an elected official” who called on people to come to Washington, DC, and told them to walk to the Capitol. In some of the strongest language from the bench so far denouncing the role that Trump and his allies played in stoking voter fraud conspiracy theories, Mehta said that the man he was preparing to sentence for illegally going into the Capitol, John Lolos, was “a pawn in a game that’s played and directed by people who should know better.”<<<

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/judge-accountability-capitol-riot-conditions

Who are the "some in the system who are as corrupt as he is"? Can you name them?
Just the general drumph slipperiness....and yeah the corrupt thing I was more thinking about judges appointed like Cannon....maybe not corrupt but more incompetent?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
My first post in this thread concerned the civil lawsuit filed by Sandra Garza against Trump for Sitnick's death due to the January 6 attacks.

In a different civil case filed against Trump, the DC court of appeals ruled that Trump does not have immunity in connection with January 6.

>>>In arguing that he is entitled to official-act immunity in the cases before us, President Trump does not dispute that he engaged in his alleged actions up to and on January 6 in his capacity as a candidate. But he thinks that does not matter. Rather, in his view, a President’s speech on matters of public concern is invariably an official function, and he was engaged in that function when he spoke at the January 6 rally and in the leadup to that day. We cannot accept that rationale. While Presidents are often exercising official responsibilities when they speak on matters of public concern, that is not always the case. When a sitting President running for re-election speaks in a campaign ad or in accepting his political party’s nomination at the party convention, he typically speaks on matters of public concern. Yet he does so in an unofficial, private capacity as office-seeker, not an official capacity as office-holder. And actions taken in an unofficial capacity cannot qualify for official-act immunity.<<<

For purposes of the issue on appeal, several lawsuits were joined.

This ruling does not necessarily mean Trump does not have immunity in the January 6 criminal case, but it's a strong signal he'll lose this argument in the January 6 criminal case as well.

I'm assuming Trump will ask the U.S. Supreme Court to take up this case, but I doubt that they will (the U.S. Supreme Court is not required to take cases, they select which cases to hear).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis