johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
anybody knows of a good pair of headphones that are suitable for running? Since I got my Grados I find the sound coming out of the earbuds way too flat. I don't expect these "running headphones" to sound as well as the Grados, but...

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I was considering the pmx60 (for the neckband design) I run quite a bit. Are the px100 stable enough?

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I've never used in-ear.... are they confortable? how's the sound?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
They sound great, as they're designed to be in-ear monitors. They come with foam plugs and shaped plastic plugs of different sizes to make them comfy. Some people just don't like having things in their ears, which I can understand. I personally hate earbuds (they never stay in my ears, and they sound like garbage), but I like the in-ears.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Koss Porta Pros. About $50, light weight, easy to drive, adjustable head band I believe and sound pretty nice too.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
Koss Sporta Pro is what i would reccomend.

Have used my Etymotics but find the external noise isolation a bit dangerous as I dont hear approaching cars.

cheers

Bevan

kay

kay

Audioholic
If running outdoors, I wouldn't use headphones that seal *too* well - could be dangerous.

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Too quiet

I agree with the last post stating that the in-ear systems are too effective in blocking out ambient sounds. I have a set of Shure e-3c and I really LOVE them, but they are not the most appropriate set up for being around traffic, or other safety issues. Now having said that, if you are only planning to do your running on a track then you would not really be concerned with this issue.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure about the LF HA sound Chris...maybe you should try sticking your fingers in your ears and running around the house, as it should be similar :D

I've never jogged with them either, but I know they will give you P&Q as well as good sound.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I do most of my running outdoors. The running "experts" don't recommend wearing headphones at all (but what do they know? :D ) and I don't like wearing the in-ear hands-free piece of my cell phone, so I don't think in-ear is for me. Soooooo, I guess I'm going to take a closer look at the koss. Nobody mentioned the Sennheisers I was interested in... Thanks everybody for your words of wisdom. I'll let you know my thoughts after I get them.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Koss KSC-75. I just picked up a pair from Circuit city yesterday and am quite impressed. They're great for the price ($20). They compare much more favorably than you'd expect to your Grados.

J

JerryElbow

Enthusiast
I've got Shure E3c earphones and, while they sound great and are actually pretty comfortable, they do TOO good a job isolating you from the world for me to be comfortable wearing them while jogging or bicycling. That's probably true for most "in-ear", isolating headphones, whether from Shure, Etymotic or whoever. I, for one, want to be able to hear the idiots on the road that are trying to kill me!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
johndoe said:
I do most of my running outdoors. The running "experts" don't recommend wearing headphones at all (but what do they know? :D ) and I don't like wearing the in-ear hands-free piece of my cell phone, so I don't think in-ear is for me. Soooooo, I guess I'm going to take a closer look at the koss. Nobody mentioned the Sennheisers I was interested in... Thanks everybody for your words of wisdom. I'll let you know my thoughts after I get them.
Actually, the headphone that strikes me as perfect for jogging is the Sony MDR-F1. It is light, very durable(metal alloy construction), and is very open[you can hear stuff around you for safety purposes]; and as a result of it's unique open design[you need to see pictures to realize just how open/vented it is] and it's cool feeling cloth pads, I think it might be the perfect jogging headphone. It sounds good, much better than just about anything you'll find in a Best Buy; but it's expensive[$180-$200]. Also, if you are concerned about how you look while jogging, it's probably not a good choice, as it may be considered unusual looking compared to headhones typically used when jogging.

Note: the headphone is much smaller than it looks in pictures.

-Chris

Last edited:
johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
the sonys look interesting. i find it surprising that sony makes pretty decent headphones and at the same time their loudspeakers for the most part are garbage. In any case, the cloth pads and band doesn't seem to be very sweat-compatible. btw, i checked the literature of the shure in-ear, and it seems that sweat might become a problem since earwax removal seems to be so important for the performance. i'm going to check the koss ksc75 and the portapros. both seem to be more comfortable for me.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
finally went with the sportapros

I ended up ordering the sportapros. They sound much fuller than the ear buds that come with most mp3 players. Even though the bass is exaggerated, and there are holes in the midrange they make for a nice jogging experience. They are very light and comfortable (and ugly too, why do I keep buying ugly headphones?? I swear I do have some sense of style). Since they are open aire, and I run outdoors whenever possible, the ambient noise that filters in makes the sound defects a lot less noticeable -except the bassy sound, which can be fixed with some EQ. These are good for outdoor activities, not for home listening.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis