JM Labs Focal Electra 1027 Be's

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Any of you guys know anything about them and can give me an educated opinion? I have seen them and listened -- They sound beautiful. Was thinking bout pulling the trigger on a pair that I found for very cheap (which is still ~ $5k, but not the retail price f $8K).

Anyone know anything about them?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Focal makes great speakers and the Be tweeters are simply phenominal in my opinion. The Electra 1027 is supposed to be fantastic but it's one I have not heard. If you liked how they sounded, that's all that matters. As long as you can verify the condition of the speakers you buy and feel confident with that transaction at that price then I'd say do it.

You're saving a lot of money on those at that price, so I'd personally be suspicious of such a lot price but I have no idea how much they depreciate, a lot of loudspeakers in general drop quite a bit.

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
They are brand spanking new with some minor cosmetic damage from shipping (you can't even notice it from a few feet away. I'm getting them for ~ $4,800, and the guy had an unopened pair for $5,800. He gets them through a contact, and is reselling them. I sent my old man over to see them, and he verified that the cosmetic damage is so damn minute, that it's not worth paying the extra grand for "piece of mind". I have listened to the speakers at Sound Advice, and they sound awesome. They come with a 5 year Factory Warranty.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Just to throw my two cents in............

I too, was at Sound Advice and was playing around with a Salesman I have befrinded (by buying stuff of course) and we were doing a speaker switch test from one pair to another. We went from Polks (don't remember which model but floor standers) to Martin Logans and then to the Focals. To me, by far, the Focals were extrordinarily better than the Polks. The Polks sounded like they were still in their shipping boxes compared to the Focals. Between the Martin Logans and the Focals it was much closer, but I think I liked the Focals a little bit more. The soudstage is unreal with them. You will be very, very happy indeed. Enjoy the music!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Hahahah, I would not compare Polks to Focals at all.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

wafflebird said:
The Polks sounded like they were still in their shipping boxes compared to the Focals.
I've not heard those speakers, but that's quite possibly the best sentence I've ever read at AH!:D

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Well I wish I could wax poetic but...................

It was actually a quick thought that just popped into my head:eek: , but the difference was honestly that significant!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Focals were impressive indeed.

johngg077

Audiophyte
I have a brand new set of the focal electra 1027 be speakers if you are truly interested in purchasing them. The boxes are unopened! I would be willing to sell them to you for $4500.00. If you are interested give me your phone number and i will give you a call and we can talk more about it.

D

drobbins

Audiophyte
Method said:
Any of you guys know anything about them and can give me an educated opinion? I have seen them and listened -- They sound beautiful. Was thinking bout pulling the trigger on a pair that I found for very cheap (which is still ~ $5k, but not the retail price f $8K).

Anyone know anything about them?
I listened to the Focal 1007 (smaller version) with Beryllium tweeter and I thought it was an interesting speaker - obviously the tweeter is fantastic. The one thing I would make sure before buying that 1027 Be is that you can live with the emphasis of the tweeter. I found the 1007 to be very resolving of issues with my components, and also found the tweeter to be the dominant force of the speaker, in most cases overpowering the other driver.

With components that are too bright, or in the wrong room, I think that the 1007 (or possibly 1027) could make a great first impression but not be pleasant to live with. In a moderately damped room and with the right mix of components, it is obviously a fantastic speaker. The question is whether for your mix of components and listening environment, it will be a good long-term match. And it could very well be.

I also recently demoed the B&W 805S which is a great floorstander. Unlike the 1007 Be, it sounded good even with not so great stuff hooked up to it (the 1007 Be needs to be matched with really good components imo,) and the B&W drivers are better integrated and balanced (no tweeter emphasis.)

You may want to demo an 803D and compare B&W's diamond tweeter and overall presentation to that of the 1027 Be, if possible. It will be a useful and educational comparison and give you a feel for what your options are, and help you specifically define what direction you hope to go with your new speaker purchase.

Personally, I am leaning towards B&W, as I want a speaker that has no obvious emphasis on any one particular driver, and that's something that the latest batch of B&Ws does very well.

Oh - and make sure you test the speakers in your listening room, hooked up to your gear. I think this is important for any speaker, but particularly for the Focal Electras.

R

RayTro88

Audiophyte
interest in1027

I have a brand new set of the focal electra 1027 be speakers if you are truly interested in purchasing them. The boxes are unopened! I would be willing to sell them to you for $4500.00. If you are interested give me your phone number and i will give you a call and we can talk more about it.
call me at 602 348 9765 to discuss. Phoenix AZ

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I hope y'all have realized that this thread is 3+ years old. :eek:

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
I got a pair of these Focal 1027Be. They sound good, but I am concerned about the porting. I think it is ported, but I laid it down and looked up the bottom and there is no port tube, nor typical port arrangement like a slot, or pathway. Does anyone know how the port is physically? Maybe mine is missing something. Or maybe the port is partially formed by the floor and the raised bottom of the speaker.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I got a pair of these Focal 1027Be. They sound good, but I am concerned about the porting. I think it is ported, but I laid it down and looked up the bottom and there is no port tube, nor typical port arrangement like a slot, or pathway. Does anyone know how the port is physically? Maybe mine is missing something. Or maybe the port is partially formed by the floor and the raised bottom of the speaker.
Is the foam plug still in the Port?
Screenshot_20230217_124552_Samsung Notes.jpg

X

xrqp

Enthusiast
There is no foam plug or any plug of any port. If you look in the bottom, you can see the hole about the size of a tennis ball. I had a hard time seeing beyond the hole so I removed the bottom piece and then looked in the hole and there was no port. It just opened into the big cabinet opening. Since your photo says “ Front laminar port” I think they are referring to the space enclosed by the floor and the bottom of the cabinet, And the sides of the bottom black piece. Which to me seems like the incorrect dimensions for normal ports. If that is the port, it seems way too short.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There is no foam plug or any plug of any port. If you look in the bottom, you can see the hole about the size of a tennis ball. I had a hard time seeing beyond the hole so I removed the bottom piece and then looked in the hole and there was no port. It just opened into the big cabinet opening. Since your photo says “ Front laminar port” I think they are referring to the space enclosed by the floor and the bottom of the cabinet, And the sides of the bottom black piece. Which to me seems like the incorrect dimensions for normal ports. If that is the port, it seems way too short.
That's what a port does...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The hole in the cabinet in combination with the pontoon-like feet = the port.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. Now I am sure you are correct. Thanks. Just a minute ago, I removed the bottom speaker to get a look inside and there is no tube nor port-like-thing inside the cabinet. And there is nothing that came loose.

I think you would agree it is also necessary to have the floor as one of the port containment surfaces. Very unusual.

Do you have these speakers too?
I unfortunately do not have a set of these speakers, sorry.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis