JL Audio: BS or not? (car audio)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
So I was checking out JL Audio's site the other day when I came upon their audio interconnects. They aren't selling snake oil, but I wondered about the construction. I sent them an e-mail and this is what I got back:

JL Audio said:
The cables are unshielded. Shielding is unnecessary for audio frequencies
and can, in fact, create noise problems in audio cables.

The dielectric is Teflon.

Yes, the cable is silver-plated, oxygen free copper. All connections are
silver soldered as well.

Now, most of the stuff makes sense. But unshielded cables? They do use a twisted pair geometry, but I doubt these can reject the noise present, especially in a car. I may be wrong, but I think they may be wrong in doing so.

Edit: Link to site: http://jlaudio.com/ECS/aic.html

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Nah, all you need is the twisted pair geometry and a good RCA connector.

Paul

annunaki

annunaki

Francious70 is correct. All that is needed in a car for noise rejection is twisted pair with a soild connection on the RCA end.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I'll second or third that. When I was making and testing cables for my DIY project, one of the cables (The Alpha 10/4) was originally shielded and measured very poorly for both inductance and capacitance. After removing the outer rubber cover and shielding, they measured much better, not good enough to compare well to zip cord, but better.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, cool. But then why is shielding so important in non-car stuff? Or are manufacturers just adding unneeded stuff to their cables?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis