Jeff Bagby Solstice DIY at PE!!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
C'mon, I want to hear some opinions on these from people that know more about speakers and DIY speakers than me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Following from Jeff Bagby in the above linked thread:
Here's a response curve that they didn't show. It's a measured frequency response on the tweeter axis calibrated to 2.83V at 1 Meter with the summed Nearfield bass response spliced at 150 Hz for what would be a full-range Quasi-anechoic frequency response. I used 1/48th oct smoothing and an 8 mSec gate.

I thought using smoothing tighter than 1/12th octave gave a chart that was difficult to read. Is that BS?

Kind of wish the top end went higher. I know my ears probably don't hear above where these start to roll-off, but I also know their is something about ribbon and Be tweeters that I like (call it a "shine", if you will) and if it isn't high frequency extension, I don't know what it might be.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I thought using smoothing tighter than 1/12th octave gave a chart that was difficult to read. Is that BS?
It's not it makes it more difficult to read, but the more smoothing that is applied tends to yield a graph that might give an inaccurate picture of what the speaker is actually doing. IE a medium hump suddenly could become just a minor bump and vice versa with dips/suckouts. 1/12ish is supposed to give the best balance between making it relatively easy to read while not artificially glossing over anything, at least to the best of my knowledge.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
[QUOTE="fuzz092888, post: 1065595, member: 59310]It's not it makes it more difficult to read, but the more smoothing that is applied tends to yield a graph that might give an inaccurate picture of what the speaker is actually doing. IE a medium hump suddenly could become just a minor bump and vice versa with dips/suckouts. 1/12ish is supposed to give the best balance between making it relatively easy to read while not artificially glossing over anything, at least to the best of my knowledge.[/QUOTE]
I understand the theory, but this graph at 1/48 is easy to read. Is this speaker somehow unique?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
[QUOTE="fuzz092888, post: 1065595, member: 59310]It's not it makes it more difficult to read, but the more smoothing that is applied tends to yield a graph that might give an inaccurate picture of what the speaker is actually doing. IE a medium hump suddenly could become just a minor bump and vice versa with dips/suckouts. 1/12ish is supposed to give the best balance between making it relatively easy to read while not artificially glossing over anything, at least to the best of my knowledge. I understand the theory, but this graph at 1/48 is easy to read. Is this speaker somehow unique?

That doesn't look like 1/48th I think it might be a typo and its supposed to read 1/8th.

This is what 1/48th looks like

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Anybody had a chance to hear these yet?

I am seriously considering building a pair. But, I would likely wait until PE has a $100 off $1000 order or something before I would purchase them.

Anybody know of any other COMPLETE kits out there in the $1K range that would compete. I don't really have the tools or the skills for working with MDF, so I need a kit with a flat pack cab.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Fuzz!!!

I had no idea that the Statements (looks like both monitor and tower configs) had flat packs available.

Also, those Continuums are the same as the ones sold by Salk, at about 1/2 the Salk price?

Dang, I just wish there was an ER18 Flat Pack available, that would be a no brainer.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Fuzz!!!

I had no idea that the Statements (looks like both monitor and tower configs) had flat packs available.

Also, those Continuums are the same as the ones sold by Salk, at about 1/2 the Salk price?

Dang, I just wish there was an ER18 Flat Pack available, that would be a no brainer.
Yup, Melby Audio offers some cool flat packs and when it's not his busy season he might be pursuaded to offer the ER18 flat pack if there's enough interest and/or Meniscus doesn't have exclusive rights.

Yup, that's pretty much the same continuum. I think the one DIYSG offers is Jeff's version that is altered slightly from the original. I'm not sure what version the Salk is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis