CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>i was just wondering ..what are your guys views and opinions on JBL speakers ....

im really interested in the subs ... definatly stylish ...damit i wish i had money ....know anybody who wants a leg or 2 ??</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Like most very-large international audio companies, they have some nice products and some dogs. &nbsp;At the bleeding edge of the High End, they make some speakers considered by some to be among the best in the world. &nbsp;On the other hand, I'm not much impressed by their mass market stuff, although at about $5k they make a system on the SGtHT Recommended Component list.

Athough they've been packed away in my attic for a few years, I have a pair of bookshelf two-ways by JBL called the HLS-610's, and they are fantastic little speakers, especially for the price. &nbsp;When they were introduced, Corey Greenberg (then audio journalist, now working for CNBC) hailed them as one of the most important products he'd reviewed that year, and clear proof of JBL's committment to making good speakers again. &nbsp;

So JBL did the only logical thing: &nbsp;they discontinued them!

Go figure.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>discontinued them ....lol

well i own a couple pairs of jbl from there CF series linup ....

the only thing i can compare them to are the speakers iv owned and what my friends have owned ....

and honestly i can say that both pairs are supurb ....

my prevous speakers consisted of kenwoods ...and a set of cerwinvegas
cerwins were really dirty sounding with harsh highs they required alot of power and even then they still sucked ....they say cerwins are bassy but my jbls produce stronger bass ...even my little ones ...

i dont know if your familiar with the CF series but i own a pair of CF-150s and CF-80s... id like to know more info from users who have a pair or at least herd a pair ...

when i want to play loud hard music ...i use my QSC mx1500a power amp ..and the preamp i use for hookup is a gemini PA-701 (same as the 702 model just different color) i used to run a harmon kardon (i forget the model) 5 disk carasol for cds and then it broke down ...and honestly i hate carasols so now im using my computer as my cdplayer/music ....im running an Audigy soundcard ....</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Their Studio series floorstanders sound pretty good and are way better than some of the newer speakers out today. They are very nicely prices and can generate good SPL.</font>

CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>the cf-150s are rated at 98db/w/m 325w rms ....and the cf-80s are rated at 92db/w/m 100wrms .... i emaild them directly for the rms values ...

im quite happy with my setup ....what would be a deciant center channel to try and match up with these pairs ....</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I'm reluctant to get into this too far: in a matter of taste there can be no dispute. &nbsp;Nor do I have access to any anecoic measurements for any of the JBLs. &nbsp;But to my ear they sound strident, peaky, and ragged thru the midrange. &nbsp;My guess is that there is no meaningful damping or bracing in the boxes of their under-$1K speakers. &nbsp;When I was a kid I worked in a tourist trap (Wall Drug Store), and the owner always said, &quot;Sell the sizzle, not the steak.&quot; &nbsp;Well, that's what the JBLs are to me; the hyped extremes but not the space where music lives.

It would be very bad advice to listen to me, though, where a matter of what you like is concerned. &nbsp;Compare them to as many other speakers as you can. &nbsp;Be advised that there are many ways to voice a speaker. &nbsp;It could be that you like a more 'forward' sound where I like it more 'laid back.'

If reviews mean anything to you, the speakers of Paradigm and PSB have garnered raves, and I can attest that they are both above average. &nbsp;Of these, the former is a bit brighter while the latter is a bit darker or laid back. &nbsp;Much will depend on the associated electronics.

Sorry if this is a bit involved, but this hobby ain't simple!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Rob;

I agree with your assessment.  Unfortunately we have not done enough extensive listening tests of the latest JBL or other Harman speakers to do a detailed review.  However, in comparison, I personally feel the Infinity counterparts of Harman offer a more balanced tonal characteristic than JBL.  If the choice of mass market speakers boiled down between these two, I would personally go Infinity at almost every price point.  Though I am personally biased towards accuracy and tonal quality as opposed to colored and excessively loud sound, not to say the JBLs overly exhibit these characteristics.

BTW, we haven't listened to many PSB speakers, but were were overall pleased with the Paradigms as indicated in our reviews:

Speaker Face Off III

[edited: added link to review of Paradigms]</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Yeah, particularly the Alpha's are excellent for the price. &nbsp;I spent much of the day at Ultimate Electronics, and they had a nice setup w/ 4 matched bookshelf Infinity Alpha's w/the matching center &amp; a smallish sub. &nbsp;I thought it sounded remarkably good (playing a DVD of Brian Setzer Live in Japan, great disc...). &nbsp;Much better than the Klipsch or Def Techs.

It does seem like the Infinity's are less hyped, tonally, and certainly would be my choice if one was going to listen to more than rock (eg Classical or a lot of acoustic music). &nbsp;The old clique is that JBLs are rock speakers, and at the lower price range this seems to be true.

Still, tastes vary. &nbsp;I like the Infinity's because they use driver technology similar to my Monitor Audio speakers, and they have a similar character (to my ears, they're very neutral, but I'm sure everyone is used to the sound of their own speakers. &nbsp;Although that neutrality and midrange sound is why I bought them). &nbsp;I like the JBLs a bit to the Klipsch- just a little too forward and spitty sounding for me. &nbsp;Maybe with the right gear, or tubes, they might sound a bit more mellow.</font>

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>CyboLynx

If your questions is in regards to JBL subwoofers stay clear of the powerbass series they are junk. The Studio S120PII list price $800 / street price $500 is a decent sub. The HTPS-400
$2k is thx ultra certified but I have no experience this model as it is out of my price range.

aaron</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis