JBL Northridge vs. BIC's

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
I've had a few posts lately asking for advice about the BIC America series (with the dome tweeter) and the BIC Acoustech series (with the horn tweeter.) Both are highly recommended and have their own strengths -- music or HT. I really appreciate the great insights and advice from those who have replied.

Last week I bought the JBL S120PII sub when jr.com had it on special for $299 delivered (what a super deal -- it's back up to $349 today). So I thought I would look and see what I could get some other JBL's for.

Looks like a pair of E80's for fronts, the EC35 for center and a pair of E30's for surrounds would be $660 delivered -- which is about the same price for either of the BIC series without the sub. Or I could upgrade to E90's for front for about +$100 --- $760 total which is more than the BIC's, but the E90's has dual 8" woofers vs dual 6".

I have searched the net for reviews of the E80 and EC35 and everything I see is 5/5 or 9.5/10 from users. Raves in general.

Oh -- I also have a Pioneer VSX-72 receiver (130 wpc) on its way, so powering the lower sensitivty JBL's (91db vs 97db for the Acoustechs) shouldn't be an issue).

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this combination of JBL's especially as compared to both of the BIC lines.

Thanks in advance.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've never been a fan of the JBL Northridge line. Whenever I listened to them, it wasn't for very long because I felt they sounded like junk. JBL has made some good stuff in the past, and still makes some really nice stuff, but not until you step up in the cash department. IMO, their budget line speakers aren't very good.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
For those of us that have lived long enough, JBL rings of decency and BIC of cheapness. Perhaps times have changed those settings, as I've not heard BIC speakers for years. I don't know...guess I've been biased for life against the BICs.

But JBL makes good to great speakers, still, depending on model. The Northridge series is not their best, but it's quite serviceable. It is targeted to the Best Buy audience. Of my JBLs, I wish the center (E series) were the Studio (S series)...but I refused to spend more for a used speaker than it cost new. (The S-Centers sell at a premium!!) See my signature.

It all boils down to how it sounds to your ears. I LIKE my JBLs. For me, they are much superior to Thiel, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc., all of which I have heard.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'm inclined to agree with you RJ. But notice I said nothing about the JBLs above the Northridge line. That's their budget line, directed at BB people (as you said) and I think it sounds like junk. And I think we all know JBL is capable of much, much better.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
JBL speakers are used in ~75% of movie theaters worldwide (per them) so you would think they do have some models that sound very good. I have some JBL J900MV speakers (circa 1996) and they are highly efficient (93 dB) and sound very good. The Northridge series, IMO, is nowhere near as good.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really want to hear the Performance line, but according to their website I have to drive several states away to hear them :(

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
If I were you and you really wanted to get some good speakers at a budget price I would stick with BIC (despite the previous post about cheapness, BIC does make very good speakers these days) or Fluance (personally my first pick was Fluance speakers until I heard the BIC's). I am not familiar with the former offerings from BIC (I guess they were not good speakers), but I do know that the speakers BIC makes today are high quality. The Venturi series is probably a better set in my opinion than the Acoustech line, but both sets are decent for the money.

Fluance also offers some nice speakers that are worth a look.

As far as JBL, I try to stay away from anything that is sold at Best Buy (period). I ran into Best Buy the other day to buy a cheap S-video cable and got to looking at the prices on their other cables ($80.00 for a Monster subwoofer cable!!! and it was not the best Monster cable that is made). They didn't have a cheap S-video cable so I ran to Target (cheap S-video cable remember) and Target had the same sub cable for $40.00. I was shocked. Anyway back to the JBL speakers, I looked at them at Best Buy, listened to them, they didn't sound bad and they had decent music sound quality, BUT in my opinion the BIC set that I was able to hear was much more natural. The JBL's seemed to sound more like noise at the high end and the BIC's I heard were much more laid back and smooth.

I am not trying to say that JBL speakers are bad. I really like JBL and they are a consistent brand in the speaker market. If I had more money I would probably look at their S-series (mentioned before). The Studio series is a great line of speakers, if you have not heard them then I would search around and at least listen to them because they are nice. So that is some of my thoughts. Have fun with your decision!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Well said, everyone. And I hear ya, Jax.

I'll have to give the BICS another hearing. Afterall, Samsung used to be anathema in the video world....now look at them. I need to give companies room to improve. (Olde person lesson of the day! :) )

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Samsung? My roommate used to have a Samsung 17inch CRT computer monitor. Small text was blurry. My 15inch Sony Trinitron gave me crisp small text.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
Samsung? My roommate used to have a Samsung 17inch CRT computer monitor. Small text was blurry. My 15inch Sony Trinitron gave me crisp small text.
Furry (can't call you cute) :) ,

My point was that they have improved immensely. They still suck, lol, but not quite so much. ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't mind the sound from the JBL's. You can probly get better for the money, buts they are still good speakers.

As for BIC....

I have never heard BIC speakers, but my speakers fit under the same catagory.

I would say listen to JBL's and if you like them, go for it. They will "proby" sound nicer then the BICs (I'm gunna get hell for this):rolleyes:

Sheep

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I really really really don't like JBL's Northridge line. I am not a fan of the sound at all. That said if you listen to them and enjoy the way they sound then they could be the speakers for you. Just audition different brands before you buy. If you can listen to at least 3 or four other reputable brands and you still find that the JBL's are the sound you want then by all means go for them. Just don't buy speakers sight "unheard" if you will.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I remember hearing the JBL studio series and Northridge series side by side. Both were floorstanders. I actually preferred the sound coming from the Northridge over the sound from the Studio series. Go figure.

Admittedly that was at a Bestbuy B&M. The speakers were powered by a midrange (or a low end, couldn't see the model number) Yamaha receiver. I don't know if more amp power would have made a difference.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
furrycute said:
I remember hearing the JBL studio series and Northridge series side by side. Both were floorstanders. I actually preferred the sound coming from the Northridge over the sound from the Studio series. Go figure.

Admittedly that was at a Bestbuy B&M. The speakers were powered by a midrange (or a low end, couldn't see the model number) Yamaha receiver. I don't know if more amp power would have made a difference.
Wow. That really highlights for me the difference in peoples' preferences. But you could be correct about the amp, Furry. Most likely the Northridge were the multiple, small woofers/midrangers. My S312s require ample power to get the single mid and 12" woofer opened up. The Studio and Northridge series speakers are really quite different animals.

JBL for some reason took out pics of their older lines. So for a pic of the S312 I have to use a funky photo I took a while back. See what I mean?!

Last edited:
M

marcb

Enthusiast
How does your E35 sound?

I've been debating between the E35 and Klipsch RC25/35.

Only problem is I can't find someone who has all 3 so I can actually compare them under the same conditions.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
marcb said:
I've been debating between the E35 and Klipsch RC25/35.

Only problem is I can't find someone who has all 3 so I can actually compare them under the same conditions.
Marc,

I'm probably not the one to ask. I like my E35, though I wish it was the S-Center which has a bit more clarity on the highest end. (JBL changed the tweeter material.) Still, I like it waaaaay better than any Klipsch, which I cannot abide. Klipsch make me go searching for an icepick to take to my eardrums.

Perhaps you can find two sources for the different speakers that each have generous return policies. ?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
rjbudz said:
Wow. That really highlights for me the difference in peoples' preferences. But you could be correct about the amp, Furry. Most likely the Northridge were the multiple, small woofers/midrangers. My S312s require ample power to get the single mid and 12" woofer opened up. The Studio and Northridge series speakers are really quite different animals.

JBL for some reason took out pics of their older lines. So for a pic of the S312 I have to use a funky photo I took a while back. See what I mean?!

Yes, I think those are exactly the 2 speakers I heard side by side!:D

The studio series floorstander had a HUGE woofer. Somehow it just didn't sound right. Could very well be the power issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis