JBL J320 rebuild or trash?

C

Chornet44

Enthusiast
I picked up a set of JBL J320’s and one for sure has ha blown woofer. The other I assume has issues because although it plays music it doesn’t get as loud or have as much bass as my Dayton T-b652’s.

The cabinets seem solid and are filled. Haven’t taken them apart to see what the inside consist of. Are these worth messing with, maybe replacing the speakers?

Thanks for the help guys

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Contact JBL to see if woofer is still available, then decide.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I’d definitely throw some cheap buyout or GRS woofers in and see if it functions decently, and then if it does you can upgrade to Dayton, Seas, etc. Have fun with it :D

C

CygnusBook1

Audiophyte
have you checked to see if connection(inside) the speaker cabinet are secure, and that the cross-over's are intact, blown or shorted crossover can also cause static, loss of sound or low sound. However having said that it could be the woofer itself, removing the woofer and fill will allow inspection, you can also test the woofer you think may be blown, by connecting to the other speaker you said is working properly, if it still has low sound then you know its the woofer and not a short somewhere

My friend had the same problem with a set of Jamo S-807, was getting limited sound from woofers, turned out to be the crossover had shorted out, he sent the crossover out for repair or replacement(not sure which) but that solved the problem. Hope that helps.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I’d definitely throw some cheap buyout or GRS woofers in and see if it functions decently, and then if it does you can upgrade to Dayton, Seas, etc. Have fun with it :D
Minus the crossover work...

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Minus the crossover work...
Well he made it sound like it’s dead drivers. I’d be happy to design one for him or show him how to use Jeff’s PCD. Crossover design isn’t that hard, plenty of videos out there also.

C

Chornet44

Enthusiast
I’ll pull it apart tonight. One woofer is froze up so I think it’s fried. The other cabinet puts out sound from all 3 drivers but it doesn’t get As loud as I think it should.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well he made it sound like it’s dead drivers. I’d be happy to design one for him or show him how to use Jeff’s PCD. Crossover design isn’t that hard, plenty of videos out there also.
I dont disagree, but most are not versed in crossover design. That's all.

C

Chornet44

Enthusiast
What is the process of checking the crossover? Best way to test individual speakers just to hook them up to a reciever on low volume and see how they sound?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What is the process of checking the crossover? Best way to test individual speakers just to hook them up to a reciever on low volume and see how they sound?
What I'm saying is you cant just drop a woofer in the box and expect to sound like the other speaker. Speakers are designed around the driver, which will determine optimal box size and what type of crossover needed. Russ assumed that everyone is a DIY person. Unless your interested in learning about speaker design, you need an OEM woofer. If you are interested I suggest purchasing loudspeaker cookbook by dickason

https://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580338/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548493114&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=speaker+design+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=514AaEuy+4L&ref=plSrch

Good news is JBL has been known to keep large inventory of its products and there are sites that do as well. Pull the woofer and ID it. Shoot them an email and post the ID here as well.

C

Chornet44

Enthusiast
What I'm saying is you cant just drop a woofer in the box and expect to sound like the other speaker. Speakers are designed around the driver, which will determine optimal box size and what type of crossover needed. Russ assumed that everyone is a DIY person. Unless your interested in learning about speaker design, you need an OEM woofer. If you are interested I suggest purchasing loudspeaker cookbook by dickason

https://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580338/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548493114&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=speaker+design+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=514AaEuy+4L&ref=plSrch

Good news is JBL has been known to keep large inventory of its products and there are sites that do as well. Pull the woofer and ID it. Shoot them an email and post the ID here as well.
I am a diy person and have been doing lots of research on a future build where I would like to build the cabinets as well as the crossovers. When I said replace the drives I meant all of them with something that would work with that crossover or maybe replace it. I wasn’t planning on spending a bunch of money on these , I thought they were functional and would be good shop speakers. But now that they are not I thought maybe I could use them as a learning experience before I build my living room setup next year. Jbl doesn’t have any replacements. I have found replacements for $25 each on a few sites.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am a diy person and have been doing lots of research on a future build where I would like to build the cabinets as well as the crossovers. When I said replace the drives I meant all of them with something that would work with that crossover or maybe replace it. I wasn’t planning on spending a bunch of money on these , I thought they were functional and would be good shop speakers. But now that they are not I thought maybe I could use them as a learning experience before I build my living room setup next year. Jbl doesn’t have any replacements. I have found replacements for $25 each on a few sites.
Cool. Better off starting with a proven design for your first build and go from there.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product-category/speaker-kits/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-kits/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis