B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunately if I want to stick with purchasing the JBL HDI 3800’s & 4500 canter, I’d have to find another brand for surrounds because JBL does not make HDI matching wall hanging surrounds, only bookshelf speakers. Not saying I absolutely could not use the 1600’s, but it would be challenging. Would it be an issue if I tried hanging REVEL Performa3 S206 (bipolar) on the wall for my rear and surrounds? I understand this is not the perfect scenario, but my room I a bit of an issue.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Using Bipole or Dipole speakers for Surrounds or Rears can be problematic. The only time such speakers are usually recommended is if they need to placed nearfield to your LP. Because they have such a disperse sound pattern, they kind of make a mess of spatial cues, but if too close to the LP, a monopole speaker can sometimes feel or sound too prominent.
Depending on your room layout and the distance from the speakers to your LP, you should consider other possibilities. First, you do not need to match your surrounds and rears to your front soundstage unless you just really feel the need. While I would argue for getting the Surrounds as close as possible in SQ to the Mains if not outright matching, my focus has always been on making my system much more closely matched in the channels used in 5.1 audio recordings rather than for HT. Others will say it is an absolute must, while you can find many more that have different speakers all over their room.
I know several people here that use speakers like NHT SuperZero for surrounds as they are fairly neutral. You could try finding an in-wall brand for your surrounds, too.

In the end, we all have unique issues with our rooms and we have to make the best for our own situations!

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I had a feeling I was going to get the answer I was not looking for, but it was the answer I needed. As far as considering other possibilities, I don't feel any other speaker than the 3800's for the money fit my needs. I tend to be a loud junkie. It looks like I will hire a contractor to make adjustments to some walls to make room for the 1600's. They will be elevated on the walls angled down slightly. Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW you can also hang any bookshelf on the wall. Like the HDI’s for example.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are some good sturdy wall mounts available for a range of applications. Biggest concern with wall mounts is Port Clearance and Speaker Weight, followed very closely by positioning and mount articulation.

Unfortunately, many speakers aren't adequately equipped a good way to attach them to mounts.

There are mounts like these that clap from the sides and have some measure of X,Y articulation:
These don't usually require any additional hardware or screwing into the Speaker to affix.

Something sturdier like those from K&M are nice options, too, but the mounts I have require an adapter plate be attached to the cabinet:
and

They also have this which looks like a better version of the VideoSecu linked above:

There are always options for dealing with the challenges of setting up your room. It really becomes an issue of cost and efficacy as well as aesthetics.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There are some good sturdy wall mounts available for a range of applications. Biggest concern with wall mounts is Port Clearance and Speaker Weight, followed very closely by positioning and mount articulation.

Unfortunately, many speakers aren't adequately equipped a good way to attach them to mounts.

There are mounts like these that clap from the sides and have some measure of X,Y articulation:
These don't usually require any additional hardware or screwing into the Speaker to affix.

Something sturdier like those from K&M are nice options, too, but the mounts I have require an adapter plate be attached to the cabinet:
and

They also have this which looks like a better version of the VideoSecu linked above:

There are always options for dealing with the challenges of setting up your room. It really becomes an issue of cost and efficacy as well as aesthetics.
Those k&m look pretty nice.
I used these Vogel’s vlb 200 for a long time. They held my side surrounds which weighed around 35lbs each.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Those k&m look pretty nice.
I used these Vogel’s vlb 200 for a long time. They held my side surrounds which weighed around 35lbs each.

Those are still bad ass speakers that can put forth an incredible sound image I still use Two as front presence channels in my system .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis