JBL GTO1214 Sub w/ Crown XLS 2000 amplifier settings

K

Kelly Rankin

Enthusiast
I need some help understanding the correct settings for the XLS 2000 to power my GTO1214 sub (350 watt rms, 4 ohm, single voice coil)

Based on what I have read in the manual so far I have set it to XOVER mode with an 83hz low pass filter.
The XLimiters are set to ON for both channels.

I have the sub out RCA from my Yamaha receiver going to the Channel 1 RCA input on the XLS 2000.

I'm wondering how far I should turn the gain knob when I first try this thing out so that I don't blow it up? I know I could just try it, but I don't want to lose my equipment.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

No mystery, just set the level as you would for any off-the-shelf powered subwoofer, e.g. for a proper blend with the mains. If you set it to high you’ll know because all you’ll hear is bass! Just as with any other sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

K

Kelly Rankin

Enthusiast
No mystery, just set the level as you would for any off-the-shelf powered subwoofer, e.g. for a proper blend with the mains. If you set it to high you’ll know because all you’ll hear is bass! Just as with any other sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I appreciate the response.

After further messing around with it, I have to sort of disagree about the simplicity.

I turned the gain knob up to max and its not exploding. It seems like some combination of gain and the volume control on the receiver affect the output, although it seems there are more factors than that. I am going to be owning this piece of equipment for quite some time and I'd like to actually know how not to blow the thing up given that I'd like to fiddle with it and set it to the best possible settings.

The amp is rated for 650 watts per channel at 4 ohms. It is a single voice coil sub, so I have at most 650 watts that could be making it to the sub.

The sub, as I said, is 4ohm single voice coil 350 watt rms.

Is there a straight forward way to calculate the wattage that is being delivered to the sub?

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Are you testing with a movie? If you haven't, then it would be a good idea to back the input down until you know how the LF output will behave with a dedicated signal.

DJ

K

Kelly Rankin

Enthusiast
Are you testing with a movie? If you haven't, then it would be a good idea to back the input down until you know how the LF output will behave with a dedicated signal.

DJ
thanks for that tip..might have saved me some grief! I'll try it out tomorrow

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I appreciate the response.

After further messing around with it, I have to sort of disagree about the simplicity.

I turned the gain knob up to max and its not exploding. It seems like some combination of gain and the volume control on the receiver affect the output, although it seems there are more factors than that.
Of course the volume control on the receiver has an effect on the output, as does the receiver’s sub output level adjustment.

Just to help me understand where you’re at – have you ever integrated and set up a powered subwoofer into your system?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis