JBL e250 vs Athena AS-P400?

C

cloud_171

Audiophyte
I am wondering which one is better overall? I've heard the JBL e250s from best buy quite a bit. There is this Athena AS-P400 that I can get for 130 dollars but never really heard it before. I could get the e250s for around 200 dollars. Which one do you think is better? I don't really mind paying extra 70 if the JBL is higher quality.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Athena Subs

Having a 5.1 Athena system in one system including a P300, all I can say is their subs (at least the p300/400) are the weak link in the Audition line up. The P300 only goes down to 40hz. Without checking I think the P400 goes down to 35hz. That being said, the replacement P6000 looks pretty good on paper although I haven't heard it yet. There are some other threads that mention some good sales on a velodyne sub. That sounds like the best sub bang for the buck, if you ask me.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Here's a link to the Velodyne 3750 sub . It costs $229 plus $48 shipping, but no tax unless you live in CA. They are also selling the 8" one and you could get it for like $206 delivered. Also please look into this sub, seems like a great deal and right around $200 shipped Bic 12" sub. Either of these subs are better choices than the ones listed, but of those two I'd go with the JBL if forced to choose. I'm not a big JBL fan, but that Athena sub is really not up to par.

O

Ohmage

Audioholic Intern
Bird said:
Having a 5.1 Athena system in one system including a P300, all I can say is their subs (at least the p300/400) are the weak link in the Audition line up. The P300 only goes down to 40hz. Without checking I think the P400 goes down to 35hz. That being said, the replacement P6000 looks pretty good on paper although I haven't heard it yet. There are some other threads that mention some good sales on a velodyne sub. That sounds like the best sub bang for the buck, if you ask me.

I think the rumour about the Athena AS-P400 being a bad performer started from a review done by Brian Mitchell from Ecoustics.com. Here is the link:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/3370.html

It sounded like the test may have been flawed. You will also see a response from Joe Fraser of Athena; he says the AS-P400 is tested anechoically to reach down to the mid-20 hz region, and rated down to 23 hz +/- 3 db in home. I agree, because I do own an AS-P400, and watching Lord of the Rings attest to the great performance of this sub. My dad owns the ASF2, powered by a NAD C352 amp, which is rated to go down to 35 hz, and the AS-P400 definitely hits alot lower.

There is a decent review of the AS-P400 sub below:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asp400.htm

Hope this helps.

Ohmage.

Last edited:
BJP

BJP

Audioholic
I agree with Bird, Athena subs are weak. I have a Athena Sub 8 (discontinued) at 100RMS/300Peak. The AS-P400 is also 100RMS, but 400Peak. I am a big fan of Velodyne, tight, deep bass. Athena makes great bookshelf and tower speakers, but subs are not that great.

O

Ohmage

Audioholic Intern
BJP said:
I agree with Bird, Athena subs are weak. I have a Athena Sub 8 (discontinued) at 100RMS/300Peak. The AS-P400 is also 100RMS, but 400Peak. I am a big fan of Velodyne, tight, deep bass. Athena makes great bookshelf and tower speakers, but subs are not that great.
I think a good sub needs to be at least 10 inches, because you have to have the surface area to move air (and increasing surface area is the cheapest way to get deeper bass). I agree the AS-P300, at 8 inches, is rather weak (heck, the ASF2 towers have two 8 inch drivers each). I think that is why Athena has ditched the 8 incher in the Audition Series 2, and went with a 10 and 12 inch. The AS-P400 is a 10 incher, and is very good for most home applications, and with the clearance these days, they are a great buy.

Ohmage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis