S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
I am in the market for purchasing a new center channel. The one I have now is only 4ohms (using the Yami 2500), and I need to get an 8ohm speaker. Everything I read here states I need to get the same model/brand speaker as my fronts. I currently have JBL Studio Series S312BE fronts. They seem to the job, can not say how they rate to some of the other brands mentioned here, but at this point, I just want to make the center with the fronts I have. The problem is JBL does not sale (or not listed on their site) a Studio Series center channel. Suggestions?

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Can you use a third S312BE under or above your TV? If you can, that's even better than a specific center channel because you'd then be using the exact same speakers across the front. A lot of us here highly recommend that anyways. Center channels are a COMPROMISE to that.

If you can't use another S312BE, then select a center channel from another series of JBL. Look for series that use the same drivers, etc. A lot of times there is a lot of overlap.

Finally, all JBL and ask them what they recommend. You might be surprised what they feel works best.

-Chad

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Buck, or anyone, tell me about this adjustment on mono center speakers, please.....you know, the small to huge, or small to large, or whatever it is....Buck, you have brought matching timbers into play now about three times....bravo.....

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Setting your speakers as "small" or "large" has to do with bass management. What it does is allows your receiver to concentrate it's power to the Hz range above what is selected. When using a powered subwoofer, it makes more sense to allow the receiver's amp to power the remaining speakers above a certain Hz. George Lucas' THX site as well as Denon recommends 80Hz, so nothing below 80Hz would be sent to the remaining speakers, and the subwoofer would take over below that point. Some guys set their front speakers to "large" because they can handle the low bass points, but generally isn't recommended unless you have your fronts biamped or are using separates. I had my fronts and center set to "large" with movies and music, thinking "what a waste" and having spent all that money on Polks. My logic was since they measure down to 35Hz +/- 3dB, I'd be stupid not to let them play down to that level. Well, after trying them both ways, there isn't a lot of difference in bass output - especially with home theater. I listen to surround TV and DVD's about 70% of the time and have everything set to small. When I put in a cd or listen to the tuner, I'll set the fronts to large and still allow the sub to play, but not be as dependant on it as the front Polks have some nice punchy bass with their dual 7" woofers. Takes a lot of experimenting, but seems to be worth it in the end if you are a sound junkie like me.

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Buck, great details....stuff to work with, haha....three questions and then a statement....where is the, hopefully, slide, control for the small to large effect?....does the control effect only the mains and center?....and, when the control is set to large, does the factory cutoff point-of-frequency knob on the sub seem limited compared to a small setting?....Buck, concerning full-range multi-element speakers....you MIGHT actually hear the low frequency limiit braqgged on the spec sheet if your head was IN the speaker enclosure....CRANKED, haha....new slogan...."There's Always Room For Subs"....there's hi-tech in them surround receivers, Gentlemen, and that's the reason they cost a lot more....nobody's gettin' cheated....I'm a night owl lately, Buckeroo, get back on the questions when youse can if youse please and thank youse in advance....I really live in Brooklyn....(Brooklyn my asssssperin bottle)......

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis