JBL 3 Series Powered Studio Monitor Overview

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
The JBL LSR305 (MSRP $199 each) and LSR308 (MSRP $325 each) are powered studio monitors that aim to deliver professional performance at affordable pricepoints. They feature the "Image Control Waveguide" technology found in their pricier M2 Master Reference Monitors. This is said to increase high-frequency detail, project a more expansive soundstage and a broad sweet spot.

They feature balanced inputs, High and Low trim to help with less than ideal room placement, and a selectable input sensitivity switch for +4 and -10dBV use.

I've been trying to get ears-on with these for a while, and finally got a chance to listen to the LSR305. Though the setup was less than ideal (guitar center stacked in a corner and not at ear height) compared to the KRK Rokit 5 G3 they were next to, the JBLs were lighter and had a more resonant cabinet (via a knuckle rap), yet seemed to project a much wider and lifelike image perhaps due to the new wave guide trickled down from the M2/7 series.

Has anyone spent more time with the JBL 3 series? Are these the ultimate desktop speakers? Could they also suffice in a Home Theater Environment?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
If they're as good as the older, round wave guide version that I have, they probably are among the better desktop speaker solutions. Is that buy one, get the second at half price sale still going on?

For HT? Sure, provided you have power outlets at convenient locations, and it may be a good idea to consider balanced connections if the runs are long. I would bet that these bring wider dynamic range than similarly sized passives, and dynamic range sure adds life.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There have been some complaints with resonance at around 190 and 247 hz.
If you buy them - I would think about some DIY cabinet treatment.

They still look like a nice option on a budget

Matt34

Matt34

I have them on my computer setup. I haven't noticed any resonance but I don't turn them up really loud. They do have some impressive bass for a 5.25" driver. I prefer them over the KRK's I had, but admittingly haven't listen to them side by side.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
There have been some complaints with resonance at around 190 and 247 hz.
If you buy them - I would think about some DIY cabinet treatment.

They still look like a nice option on a budget
Yes, the lighter overall weigh and more hollow "knuckle rap" definitely made me think the cabinet was less sturdy on the JBLs vs the KRKs, but upon listening (albeit limited material in a much less than perfect environment) the JBLs would have been my purchase choice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I knew jbl saved few pennies compared to prev gen lsr2325p. Mine built like tanks

H

heflys

Audiophyte
I just wanted to say, I too haven't had any resonance issues and have been using the speakers (at various volume levels) for about 7-8 months now. I've read about a few units with that problem, but it seems they were faulty and quickly replaced; resolving the issue.

IMHO, amazingly good speakers for what I paid.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I did not know the LSR305s came in white. I have to say, that is pretty slick looking. The LSRs should be promoted as more than just studio monitors too, they are great for home audio as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just found out that Fry's stocks the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 monitors. I am not sure if they have been doing that for long, but thta is news to me. Fry's also stocks JBL's EON live sound speakers. Those might be a great choice for people who want powerful speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen but don't want to spend a fortune. This is all good news to people who want great sound but don't necessarily care about the aesthetics of their speakers.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Got them for my Dad to hook up to his TV for a simple audio solution. The constant directivity horn makes setup effortless and satisfies a very wide listening window. For $300/pr active speakers, they offer far better quality sound than one might expect at this price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just found out that Fry's stocks the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 monitors. I am not sure if they have been doing that for long, but thta is news to me. Fry's also stocks JBL's EON live sound speakers. Those might be a great choice for people who want powerful speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen but don't want to spend a fortune. This is all good news to people who want great sound but don't necessarily care about the aesthetics of their speakers.
I've been threatening to take a trip to Fry's for a while now. Just to look at some electronics, compare prices and maybe hear some cool stuff. I've never been to one. Is it worth a trip across town?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've been threatening to take a trip to Fry's for a while now. Just to look at some electronics, compare prices and maybe hear some cool stuff. I've never been to one. Is it worth a trip across town?
I say yes; if for no other reason to know what it is for future reference.
I don't know how consistent their stores are, but ours is huge (dwarfing the best buys, close to WalMart SuperStore). I don't consider it a "go to" for audio gear, but they do have occasional deals on good stuff. I like them better than BestBuy. You can easily spend a half day in there if you like (and they have a cafe to help you do just that)!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is nothing at Fry's you can't get online for a better price. It is better for computer nerds than it is for audio nerds. They also have a lot of electronic components like resistors, capacitors, breadboards, and stuff like that, like a super radio shack. Its a great place to have nearby if you are a computer DIY or electronics DIY guy. Once in awhile Fry's does have good deals on a blue-ray here and there.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
^^...but still relevant, no?
Absolutely because I just got to experience them a month ago and convinced my Dad to buy a pair. Hoping to give him the audio bug so things will just get bigger and better, but for now the convenience of just flipping a power switch to get better sound is plenty. The bass these things put out is incredible!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been itching to just try them but don't really have any rational reason....I know that shouldn't really stop me but I'm kinda thrifty.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis