Jamo D7 subwoofer 15"

R

rtrach

Audiophyte
Im looking to get a new subwoofer and I stumbled upon the Jamo D7 subwoofer. Its a 15incher but does any one have any experience with this sub to give me advice. My room is 1500 ft/3. Thanks

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
rtrach said:
Im looking to get a new subwoofer and I stumbled upon the Jamo D7 subwoofer. Its a 15incher but does any one have any experience with this sub to give me advice. My room is 1500 ft/3. Thanks
I'm a former Jamo dealer and have sold and installed a few of both the D6 & D7 model subs. The D6 MSRP is around $1599 & the D7 at $1999.

Both of them are very capable subs, pack a good punch, and move a lot of air. The D7 is a better sub for music than the D6 because some of the feedback technology it uses. The $400 difference may or may not be worth it depending on your tastes and needs. Mainly for movies? D6 is my recommendation of the two. At $1599 list price it's a great product. Either of the Jamo D series models will do great. Both are THX Ultra certified and 15". I prefer the cosmetics of the D6 over the D7 as well.

We built a custom theater for a client this past May and used one Jamo D6. When he sat down for his first listen I put in the scene in King Kong where Kong fights the T-Rex's. When Kong roared the client looked at me mid scene and yelled "Holy s!*t!" (it was a good thing). He called his 8 year old in there and we played the same chapter over and the kid yelled "I can feel it in my belly!". That is about the best thing I can tell you about it. The room we built was originally an unfinished spare bedroom in his basement that he wanted converted into a theater. The room was 15'W X 17'W X 9'H. The D6 blew it up.

Two Alternatives that I would highly recommend for a "better" & "best" choice instead of the D6:

Better...
One product that is substantially better (my opinion) than the D7 and is without question worth the difference in cost over the D6 is the RBH 1010SEP. It's a great subwoofer which I consider a fine value at around $2K. Ultimately we chose RBH Sound last Fall to replace Jamo as an entry level (and up) speaker line. Products like the 1010SEP along with their architectural lines, consistent service, and quality product made it an easy decision.

Best (by a country mile)....
JL Audio is a product that we just picked up after trying them out a few weeks ago. If you can find a good deal on it and are willing to raise your budget I would buy the JL Audio Fathom f113 sight unseen. It's a 13" sub that will, without hesitation, destroy you (or an intruder should you need to defend yourself.... just offer him a demo before he tries to steal it). List price on it is $3,200 for a flat black finish ($3,300 for piano black). You should be able to get it from an authorized dealer for around $2,800 or maybe less. Totally worth it.

Hope some of this helps.

R

rtrach

Audiophyte
Gratitiude

Holy s%^@, thanks for the advice (really thanks alot). That was a very informative and insightful piece of advice. I will definitly look into your other suggestions. I already have a Jamo set up of D450 towers, D4 center, and D6 surrounds but Ill look into the JL, Ive heard similar things about their products. By the way why dont you carry the Jamo line anymore, Im not familiar with the other brand, but I know that Jamo has a pretty well rounded arsenal on entry level speakers. Anyways.. Thanks.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
rtrach

No problem. Glad to help fellow members in any way possible. The Jamo D line that you are using for fronts was a really neat line with a lot of different technology compared to the rest of Jamo's line-up (save for the D6 - D7 lines which are designed for a different purpose). The THX ultra D6 product that are your surrounds provide a really unique and quality surround speaker as well.

The answer to your question about of we no longer look at Jamo as our primary vendor for that market space is fairly simple but multi dimensional. Without getting too specific…

and to avoid getting onto my soap box and preaching to the masses about our values as a company and the state of the A/V industry: In the best interest of our customers we are always in a state of continuous improvement. RBH Sound offered, in our opinion, a substantially better product for our customers needs over two totally different companies: Jamo (which we were using for entry level box product & subwoofers) & TruAudio (used for entry level architectural product). As a company, we are in a state of continuous improvement and our vendor partners are made aware of this from day one. If we can offer a better product to our customer base we will make the change immediately without looking back. And, in this case, that’s what we felt we had to do. This is in no way a knock against Jamo or their products at all. They make a fabulous line of speaker and should be given a listen for just about any type of audio application. However, after reviewing lines between the two companies, RBH Sound provided a clear choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis