I've about had it with my car

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've had my 1994 Probe GT since I bought it new in 1994. It's been paid off since Sept '98 and until a few years ago had no problems whatsoever.

Lately, it's been costing a small fortune to keep it running. I've replaced the entire AC system, brakes, every damn sensor on the whole car, the timing belt, and many other things over the last few years. Average bill: $1000+.

Last year just before vacation, I rounded the corner from my house and the whole car just shut off. The distributor was cracked and I had to replace the distributor, cap, wires, and 'idle control valve' (another stupid sensor!). Then a few months later my left headlight would go up and down on its own - even if you disconnect the battery - and I had to get a new headlight motor and have them rebuild part of the wiring harness. I thought it would be fine for awhile and I could take my time test driving new cars to decide what I should I get.

But no...it's dead once again but fortunately in my garage instead of me getting stranded somewhere. The motor sounds very heavy on the bottom end like it spun a rod bearing or something. I hope that is not the case and it's another electrical problem but if it costs more than $500, I'm dumping her in the lake. I was hoping to make it to the 15 year mark (November), but that does not look like it's going to happen. So now I'm under pressure to hurry up and decide what kind of car I'd like to buy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've had my 1994 Probe GT since I bought it new in 1994. It's been paid off since Sept '98 and until a few years ago had no problems whatsoever.

Lately, it's been costing a small fortune to keep it running. I've replaced the entire AC system, brakes, every damn sensor on the whole car, the timing belt, and many other things over the last few years. Average bill: $1000+.

Last year just before vacation, I rounded the corner from my house and the whole car just shut off. The distributor was cracked and I had to replace the distributor, cap, wires, and 'idle control valve' (another stupid sensor!). Then a few months later my left headlight would go up and down on its own - even if you disconnect the battery - and I had to get a new headlight motor and have them rebuild part of the wiring harness. I thought it would be fine for awhile and I could take my time test driving new cars to decide what I should I get.

But no...it's dead once again but fortunately in my garage instead of me getting stranded somewhere. The motor sounds very heavy on the bottom end like it spun a rod bearing or something. I hope that is not the case and it's another electrical problem but if it costs more than $500, I'm dumping her in the lake. I was hoping to make it to the 15 year mark (November), but that does not look like it's going to happen. So now I'm under pressure to hurry up and decide what kind of car I'd like to buy.
I feel your pain as I have a 91 Probe. It has been such a great car. However, lately it seems to be costing me too much money. Had it running well until my starter went out. Had to have it done at a shop. Not sure what all they did, but my car has run like sh*t ever since. I changed my plugs and wires and it still is not running right. Now, I got a valve-pan cover gasket leaking. Going to hold off a while longer before buying another car. Sooner or later I may have no choice as my Probe is beginning to nickel and dime me to death. Good luck with your decision MDS.

Cheers,

Phil

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm like you in that I like to buy a car, pay it off and get a few years for free. But, like it or not, we do develops a sentimental atachment to these soluless machines.

We become blinded when it comes to putting down an old friend.

To me, when it cost close to more over the past year or so to keep it up and running than it would to replace it, it's sayonara, old buddy. It's been good. :(

Of course, we can always rationalize that we've replaced just aout everything there is. Pretty soon it'll be a brand new car. :D

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and I love my 2004 Hyundai Elantra. No problems so far and an honest overall 24 mpg. The new ones are supposed to do even better.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Long before Dave Ramsey became a household name, I've advocated the same approach. The difference is nobody listens to me. Like markw says, you do get to a point where it's just 'my car' and you deal with the little issues that crop up, but if I keep getting things fixed my 'profit' from keeping it so long will be all used up.

Speakerman, my valve cover gaskets have been leaking for years. I don't care...I just check the oil every month or so. I lived with the check engine light for years because I knew it was the O2 sensors and besides reducing gas mileage a bit due to an incorrect air/fuel mixture it doesn't hurt anything. But I was forced to replace them when I had to replace the air bag sensor and the crank sensor too. This car has too many sensors. You can't even adjust the idle manually - you have to replace the 'idle control valve' which is a fancy name for an $800 sensor.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
My friend bought a Probe new and it was nothing but a huge hassle and expense, I hope you get things worked out but it may be time to retire her.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had friends with Probes also and all of them had so many issues, they each got rid of them.

My car has 190K and has a few minor issues nuisance issues (a couple of water leaks on window seals, power steering leak, etc...) but it has been an excellent car and is completely paid off as well. It is currently saving me money, but I am going to have to do a timing belt on it (due now, $700) and with almost 200K, the transmission is starting to act up also...so I figure when it dies I will just look pick up something newer. I have a second car right now that only sees limited use, so I am not worried about my daily driver breaking down.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Take the turbo, buy a civic, and have a very fun car.

That, or just buy a civic. The Si will be in a whole different league compared to the probe.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've had friends with Probes also and all of them had so many issues, they each got rid of them.

My car has 190K and has a few minor issues nuisance issues (a couple of water leaks on window seals, power steering leak, etc...) but it has been an excellent car and is completely paid off as well. It is currently saving me money, but I am going to have to do a timing belt on it (due now, $700) and with almost 200K, the transmission is starting to act up also...so I figure when it dies I will just look pick up something newer. I have a second car right now that only sees limited use, so I am not worried about my daily driver breaking down.
Is this your DA?

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, I have 2 black DAs. One automatic that my son is learning to drive in and mine. The syncros in the lower gears are starting to get a little iffy. Going to have a shop do the timing belt. New tires come in this week; yee-haw. My tires are almost completely bald and 2 are almost starting to show cord, so the tires were overdue. I've been considering getting another S13 or if I can find a decent FD maybe one of them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another factor in lowering cost of ownership is doing as much work as you can yourself. Anything that isn't major (like timing belt), I will do myself if at all possible.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Great idea indeed, except for that last 6 years in the market.:D
Actually, most of what he says about investing is incorrect- particularly when using "Average market return". Over the long-term the average annual return of the DJIA has been approximately 10%, but that does not mean it's the same return an investor sees on his invested money. I used this example on another thread earlier, but say you invest $100 today in a stock- in year 1 it goes up 20%, in year 2 it goes down 20%. What's your return? In fact, while the average return of stock is 0%, your total 2 year return is -4%.

What he should have been measuring is the average long-term CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of the DJIA, which is approximately 5%. This number is really only relevant if you're a long-horizon investor, think 10 years, so it's really hard to be banking on that return over a 6 year period. This makes a pretty big difference when you consider the law of 72 (a simple back of the envelope calculation- 72/rate of return=# of years to double your money). When you take his calc- 72/12%, you're doubling your annual investment every 6 years with interest. With the more efficient "real-world" calculation, it will take you 14 years to double each annual "savings" of $5700.

I don't disagree with the idea he's proposing, particularly for the middle class, but it'd be nice if he used factual information about investing and explained concepts such as MF expenses (there are funds with front loads that cost 5% a year), transaction costs, and capital gains taxes.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Long before Dave Ramsey became a household name, I've advocated the same approach. The difference is nobody listens to me. Like markw says, you do get to a point where it's just 'my car' and you deal with the little issues that crop up, but if I keep getting things fixed my 'profit' from keeping it so long will be all used up.

Speakerman, my valve cover gaskets have been leaking for years. I don't care...I just check the oil every month or so. I lived with the check engine light for years because I knew it was the O2 sensors and besides reducing gas mileage a bit due to an incorrect air/fuel mixture it doesn't hurt anything. But I was forced to replace them when I had to replace the air bag sensor and the crank sensor too. This car has too many sensors. You can't even adjust the idle manually - you have to replace the 'idle control valve' which is a fancy name for an $800 sensor.
I have to agree on the sensor part. Right now, my mass air-flow box is really screwed up. I am getting like 17 miles per/gallon which sucks badly. May do a bit more work on it but at the current rate of nickel and diming me to death it may be time to do better. Just hate to take on extra payments yet again.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

That, or just buy a civic. The Si will be in a whole different league compared to the probe.

SheepStar
I agree here very much so. I used to have a CRX and really miss it. That car would flat get up and go. Gas mileage was awesome even after lots of abuse. Nothing like a Honda imho.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Another factor in lowering cost of ownership is doing as much work as you can yourself. Anything that isn't major (like timing belt), I will do myself if at all possible.
Google for a website called Honda Hookup, and download the service manual for your car (you need to register, it's free, haven't received any spam). I can do a Timing Belt on my civic in 30 minutes. Also, do your water pump while you're in there.

I've been cleaning and tearing down my new engine for my civic. I just need a quote from the machine shop so I know how much to save up. The list of things to do:

1.) Deck Block.
2.) Deck Head.
3.) Hone Cylinders.
4.) Fully Balance rotating assembly
5.) Regrind valves and valve seats.
6.) Possible flywheel lightening (~15lbs afterwards).
7.) Polish cam and crank journals & bearings/lobes.

Put it all back together and have a fresh engine.

SheepStar

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall

SheepStar
take an basic economy car, "think" your souping it up but really your trashing the car and end up with a blown up trashed car that people actually laugh at, With a gasoline engine that smokes worse than a diesel, grey primer paint job, A few peices of imitation carbon fiber here, few stickers there.

Tada! Honda Civic. SUPERLEGERRAA!

Great idea! :D

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My 1991 Civic had over 375,000 miles on it when I sold it. It was starting to act up a little more. I had to replace the water pump and then the distributor disintegrated.

I bought a 2007 Mazda 3 to replace it and I could not be happier. I average 36 MPG and it has plenty of power. I expect it to last a very long time without problems. This week actually marks the one year anniversary of the purchase. 21,000 miles later and not one issue.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Have you decided what cars you are going to be looking at? You sticking with Probe size or moving up to a midsize?

I myself am waiting for the new 2009 Accord diesels to come out before I make my decision. Then after a year after I get my car it will be my wife's turn but I think she has already decided on the Acura TSX. My dad just got one of the new Camry's about 6 months ago and he loves it as well, but he loves Toyota's so that was to be expected.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis