Issues reading discs

Walsh1

Walsh1

Junior Audioholic
I've owned the Panasonic UDP 9000 for perhaps two and a half years or so now. For a while now it's been having a difficult time reading discs. I get a message after a few minutes reading "cannot read disc" or something like this anyways. I eject and try again. Sometimes it will end up successfully reading the disc after I rotate the disc to a new position and place in the tray again. My girlfriend says she thinks it might be dust interfering inside the unit on the lens or something. The same thought crossed my mind. Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this? It's extremely annoying and I don't want to have to drop over a G on a new player so early on after owning this one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cleaning could be in order.....I don't have any specific suggestions, but probably would look for perhaps some instructional youtube videos on how to approach it. The only disc player I've had failure with is a Samsung bluray player, but I simply replaced it, never tried to examine the internals. I've had several other players go much longer and without issue, tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes a disc looks clean but, after holding it up to a light and moving it around, fingerprints and light debris can be seen. Wipe off with a lightly moistened cloth and let dry. Check the case. Rub a finger along the portion on which the discs sits. You may notice a film. That film will also be on the disc. Clean the case as well.

My Sony X800 was very finicky about clean discs. The X800M2 not so much so far. I’ve still got my old Maxell DVD lens cleaner disc around here somewhere. They basically glued a fake eyelash to the disc to brush off the lens. Some swear by rubbing the lens with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've owned the Panasonic UDP 9000 for perhaps two and a half years or so now. For a while now it's been having a difficult time reading discs. I get a message after a few minutes reading "cannot read disc" or something like this anyways. I eject and try again. Sometimes it will end up successfully reading the disc after I rotate the disc to a new position and place in the tray again. My girlfriend says she thinks it might be dust interfering inside the unit on the lens or something. The same thought crossed my mind. Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this? It's extremely annoying and I don't want to have to drop over a G on a new player so early on after owning this one.
You need a cleaning disc rated for Blu-Ray players. This one will do the trick

If that does not work, then open the unit up and gently clean the lenses with a Q-tip soaked in pure isopropyl alcohol. If that does not work then the lasers are likely out of alignment and it will have to be sent in for service.

Is the unit in a dusty environment, are there for instance smokers in the house? You can not smoke in a house with these sort of units.

The other thing that causes trouble are shocks and vibrations. The laser alignments are super critical and so units must be placed on a firm vibration free surface. Avoid placing them near speakers and definitely not on them.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If it's dust, cleaning the lens with isopropyl alcohol is the best solution, but for a quick and easy fix sometimes compressed air will be enough. Purchase a can of compressed air and use the extension tube that is usually included. Open the tray door, insert the tube and spray air into the unit, moving the tube around. Use short burst of air. If you use long burst, the decompressed air gets cold and can cause some condensation. If the compressed air does not improve things, then manual cleaning of the lense or re-alignment is in order.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If it's dust, cleaning the lens with isopropyl alcohol is the best solution, but for a quick and easy fix sometimes compressed air will be enough. Purchase a can of compressed air and use the extension tube that is usually included. Open the tray door, insert the tube and spray air into the unit, moving the tube around. Use short burst of air. If you use long burst, the decompressed air gets cold and can cause some condensation. If the compressed air does not improve things, then manual cleaning of the lense or re-alignment is in order.
I think for a BD player compressed air is too fierce, and could well result in laser misalignment.

I recommend using disc first, and if that fails a GENTLE cleaning under direct vision.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This happened to one of mine. Turned out to be a single hair that would sometimes corrupt it, and sometimes not.

Another I have, if let sit for more than two days, the laser would not go all the way to the "0" position on startup and return an ERR code. I would then have to take the cover off and manually move the laser mount to it's full beginning position and then it would be fine for the rest of the day. By then it had been played a lot and was on it's way to wearing out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis