Is this system worth the Price?

I

isunormalil

Audiophyte
I am looking to add surround sound and a home theatre system to my just recently finished basement. I am currently debating this offer what does the PRO's on this site think. I am a nerbie so please cut me some slack. I know nothing about speakers. One final question...does the exspensive cables really make much of a difference?

Klipsch Cinema 6 Home Theater speaker system 750.00

Onkyo TXSR502B 6.1 Home Theater Audio Receiver 279.00

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Buy Soundking 12 ga speaker cable from Parts Express: you'll save a bundle of money and perceive no audible difference between this and a high dollar cable.

To answer your question...no, in most situations an expensive cable is simply an emotional tampon that you use the four or five days a month when you remember you even have speaker cables.

Bryan...check out the snake oil articles on this very site...

nav

nav

Audioholic
isunormalil said:
Isn't the TX-SR503 out now, which is 7.1 capable? I'm sure you can get a much better deal on it than that.

isunormalil said:
For small satellite speakers I think there's better options than Klipsch. If you're going to use the system for a lot of music, I'd probably recommend at least using towers for the front left and right for improved stereo. For home theater, it's less important.

While you're here, why not sign up for the Onix Rocket ELT Contest? :p

Obviously, listen to as many speakers as you can. See what you like, regardless of price. If you can come in under budget, all the better.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
nav said:
. If you're going to use the system for a lot of music, I'd probably recommend at least using towers for the front left and right for improved stereo.
There is absolutely no benefit in getting towers. You are going to have a powered sub woofer to handle the low end anyway. If I were getting a system in your price range I would get 4 Paradigm Atoms (~$400 total), the least expensive HSU sub they make ($300ish?) and add the Paradigm center if or when I could afford it. Also audition as many speakers as you can because what I like may sound crummy to you.

The other way to go is to spend the entire $750 on the best two main speakers you can find and then add the surrouds and sub and center as you can afford them.

Enjoy!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
We'll cut you a little slack, but that's it.

isunormalil said:
I am looking to add surround sound and a home theatre system to my just recently finished basement. I am currently debating this offer what does the PRO's on this site think. I am a nerbie so please cut me some slack. I know nothing about speakers. One final question...does the exspensive cables really make much of a difference?

Speakers: http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=1054&crid=165&cat_name=BIC+America+Speakers

You can can always buy 2 more matching surrounds when your budget permits for a 7.1 setup.

(Nick is right, but I still like towers for 2 channel music)

Receiver: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4008752
(free shipping)

A

arevee

Junior Audioholic
try one-generation old Polks

Try the now-discontined-but-available-brand-new-for cheap-at-frys Polk Audio speakers. frys has one of these on sale most of the time.

These would be the R50s(towers with 2 drivers)-$150, R30s (towers with one driver)$100 on ebay, R15s(bookshelves)$60 and CSi20 center $75??. A PSW202 sub can be also urs for $100. That's an awesome 7.1 speaker set for $500.

And an Onkyo TX-SR602 7.1 receiver refurb might right u $300 + free shipping at PC Mall. U still have one year warranty...

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/search/search.asp?search=tx-sr602&NavID_Search=false&CurDSN=simple&calledfrom=1&incimage=on

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Your own experience

I just wanted to say that frankly, I think Klipsch makes fantastic speakers. I'm using the Reference series so I can't comment on how they perform with other types necessarily. However, I'm using RB-35s for the fronts and RB-25s for the surrounds, an RC-25 for the center and an RW-12 sub. Maybe it is just my own limitations, but, I find it hard to believe that the sound can get much better than what I'm hearing. Keep in mind that with horn-loaded tweeters it takes a while before they "break-in" so to speak. So, it may take 24 to 72 hours worth of playing before the sharpness starts to mellow out a bit. But, I gotta say that these bookshelf speakers sound every bit as good and better then all of my neighbor's floorstanding speakers. Even they were amazed! Not to mention that if you have a wife she will definitely appreciate bookshelfs over floorstanding speakers for space consideration. I've listened to JBLs and Polk Audios and I went with Klipsch because the sound just seemed better balanced, more defined, and, for lack of a better term, more full and solid. Mind you, Klipsch is also more expensive, so take that into consideration. The materials are of great quality though, so, hopefully they will last a long time. This is my first experience with them and so far I can't complain in the least! Enjoy your choice!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I actually like the Klipsch Cinema 6 speakers. probably my favorite satelittes. But their subwoofer is garbage. Just get the 6's and buy a HsuResearch STF-2. (or STF-3 if you have the scratch).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis