Is this something you would do ?

M

mikenyc

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Here's the story, courtesy of medialine.com...

&quot;Blockbuster Offers Discounted 'Buy' Option on DVD Rentals

(Sept. 5, 2002) Dallas, TX -- Blockbuster Inc. is launching a new program that enables its members to buy at a &quot;deep discount&quot; DVD titles that they rent from any of its 4,300-plus outlets nationwide.

Customers who rent a selected new DVD release, and return it within the appropriate rental period, will have the opportunity to purchase a previously viewed copy of that DVD title at a discount. Customers can take advantage of this discount, in some cases up to 60 percent off the original retail price, when previously viewed copies of that title become available for sale and while supplies last.

Customers interested in renting a so-called &quot;Rent it! Like it! Buy it!&quot; title must do so within its first four weeks of release in order to qualify for the program.&quot;

Who wants second hand DVD's ? I know I don't, especially when some maniac, has gotten through playing street hockey with it !!!!

Heck...why don't they just give them away!!!!</font>

<font color='#000000'>Its a decent deal if you are willing to check the media before you bring it home (most DVDs I rent are usually scratched.)

Also, you have to want to get the first-run version of the film, a Blockbuster's Deal doesn't get you special editions, etc (like the Lord of the Rings extended version coming out in November)</font>

M

mikenyc

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Great for family, rotten for collectors, and maniacs who want to spend time in Blockbuster finding a &quot;clean&quot; DVD copy!

I don't go in there, or ANYWHERE, to rent videos, of any kind, anymore. Rainy days and weekends, are exercises in futility, of finding anything to view. It was a nice gimmick at first, but I think as a growth industry, it's days are coming to an end..FAST! It's peaked.

I do like that &quot;rabbit ears&quot; commercial though.</font>

<font color='#000000'>We just went in the other day and noticed that you must bring the disc to the counter for purchase before you can open it to inspect for damage.

My suggestion wouyld be to bring a couple to the checkout right off the bat so you save time going back and forth...

They also warranty their discs, so you could exchange if you got home and that &quot;vertical scratch&quot; you thought would pass error correction, didn't.</font>

G

GermanMan

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>How is this any more of a deal than on the usual previously viewed deals one gets afther the new releases are cycled and the excess copies end up in the bin? &nbsp;If there is an even greater discount - I doubt its much. &nbsp;So long as I can easily pick up previously-viewed copies for around $10-15 bucks and new copiec cost $19-21 bucks, I'd only go for some sort of 'long winded enrollment process' like this if they were really cheap ( &lt; $10).</font>

<font color='#000000'>No enrollment. Just bring your rental receipt and buy the disc for $10. That's how Blockbuster's plan is different. Most pre-viewed DVDs are 14.99 at Blockbuster without this deal. So you essentially get the rental for free, or you get to &quot;preview&quot; the disc for free if you want to look at it that way...</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis