C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I've just assembled my first 5.1 system, and have a question about bass management. My mains and surrounds have 6&quot; woofers and 3/4&quot; tweeters, and the speakers manual suggests setting them to Large.

However, when watching movies, I think I prefer them set to Small (I'm still experimenting, and as I say, I'm new to this). If I do set them to Large, it seems I need to change the LFE to go to Sub and Mains.

But if I leave them set to Small and switch to listen to the tuner, it seems I have too much bass, and have to either change them to Large or turn the sub down.

Is this indicative of a poor sub? Or is this normal?

I have a Yamaha HTR-5660, and Harman Kardon speakers (HKB 6 mains and surrounds, HKC center, and HKSUB12 subwoofer).

My room is around 250 sq ft, with a cathedral ceiling, and I have the mains and surrounds on metal stands.

I have about two weeks left on the money-back period. Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to compare them to in my room (the previous &quot;system&quot; was very old and, well, weak). One audiophile friend came over and said they sounded great in dvds, but he also liked the bass much louder than I'm used to.

I've read great things about the Yamaha YST-SW315 here, so I'm thinking seriously about picking one up locally, and then keeping whichever sub I prefer.  If I return the HK, I'd be out shipping both ways, but that's ok.  On the other hand, if what I'm experiencing is normal, maybe I'm just being too anal.

I haven't calibrated the system, other than using the receiver's test tone and my ears.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis