F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
IMG_1976.JPG
My Polk LSiM706c came I today. Straight out of the box it looked like this. Is this damage or is discoloration like this normal? It's not dust or any foreign material. I gently wiped to see if it would come off. Nope. The material almost appears to have been stretched beyond its limits or something. It's my first time buying such a nice speaker, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Should I return? Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it bothers you, return it.

ps I wouldn't call it damage but rather an imperfection in the finish.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I don't mind if it's just a blemish. Is it potentially an issue with performance?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It is definitely a cosmetic blemish. Looks to me like the wrap has come undone there or never fully attached. Should have no affect on performance. Like @lovinthehd said, if it bothers you, return it for another.

Edit: I just reexamined the picture, what I thought was a blemish appears to be a reflection. If you're talking about the discoloration on the speaker surround, I would definitely return it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd return it. If you want to sell them someday it'll negatively affect resale value for sure.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I apologize for the poor quality of the photo. The speaker surround is discolored nearly white on the right side of the speaker. The enclosure has no blemishes. I guess I have a lot of headache in front of me now. :(

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I've seen that on speakers before and wondered what it's from. I've even owned speakers that had that kind of look on woofer surrounds.

Is it possible that in production, somebody along the line polishes the cabinet by hand, with a rag/towel, and some got on the woofer surround?

Get a soft sponge, dampen it, and *gently* wipe the rubber surround. See if it cleans up. I was able to clean mine just fine (not Polks).

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I actually had the same thought because is does look like when you get polish on a tire, but all the gentle wiping I have done has not improved the situation.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Have you wiped it with something like a damp sponge?

"Polish on a tire" is a good description - I should have thought of that! :)

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I wetted a flour sack dish cloth wrapped around my finger and gently massaged it for a bit to no avail whatsoever.

I sent an email to the Polk warranty department. We'll see how this goes...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess it was the photo, I thought it was just the finish. I'd prefer the drivers to be uniform, even if there's no real reason. I'd return it to the retailer, why deal with Polk warranty?

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone for the input.

Lovinthehd, I guess I don't know what I'm doing. I have never had to return/exchange something like this. I bought it from a Polk authored dealer via Amazon. Contact Amazon or the dealer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think your purchase from Amazon would explain what the return procedure is. Have you gone to the Amazon site and looked for return procedure?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks everyone for the input.

Lovinthehd, I guess I don't know what I'm doing. I have never had to return/exchange something like this. I bought it from a Polk authored dealer via Amazon. Contact Amazon or the dealer?
Contact the seller on Amazon then. Explain to them the discolored surround and that you would like a replacement. Since it's from Amazon, it should be a pretty easy thing to solve. I wouldn't deal with polk warranty just yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still deal with Amazon primarily if at all possible. They are pretty easy to work with IME.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Amazon had a process for returns and refunds, but I'm after a replacement. I contacted the dealer which seems to have a reasonable replacement policy. This is quite the learning experience. I'm afraid a few people are going to be frustrated with me by the time it's over, or possibly just laughing. I just hope it ends with a new, undamaged LSiM706c under my TV and no more money out of my pocket. Thanks all again for the guidance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, why this center, what are you matching it with? What's wrong with a return and re-purchase? That's what's great about the internet....

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Pairing with 2X LSiM703 and 2X LSiM702.

The problem with return and repurchase is the closest price available now is $400 more than I paid.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Well, in case anyone was wondering...

Contacted seller through Amazon, seller said contact Amazon.

Contacted Amazon, Amazon said contact seller.

Contacted seller again, this time by phone. Seller said they have no stock and can't replace. Contact Polk for warranty.

Called Polk. New driver coming to my door, no questions asked. Polk rep on the phone said the replacement is very easy with just a screwdriver.

Started out a bit shaky but overall fairly painless assuming the driver replacement goes smoothly. Couldn't be happier with Polk customer service.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a pretty good ending, imo. Drivers are very easy to replace. Just make sure you make note of the +/- terminals and which wire goes where. If you have any questions when the driver arrives hit us up here. I'd hang onto the other one if it's cosmetic only. A replacement driver or 2 is never a bad thing to have.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis