S

Serithin

Junior Audioholic
I just found out that apparently the vibrations from strong subs can damage a mechanical HDD if its too close to the sub. I have 2 svs PB2000 subs on both sides of my cabinet so there is no way to get my HTPC father then 5 inches from either sub unless I stack it on top. Is this a myth or is it valid? I moved my HDD's to my other machine in a bedroom and put it on the server. Now the problem is that I have to keep my other machine on 24/7. That machine has a 3080 in it and it draws more power then the HTPC. I thought about maybe building a (vibration free cage)? if there is such a thing in the cabinet. Is there a better solution?

S

Serithin

Junior Audioholic
I have parts to build a diy NAS that uses very low power but im missing the mobo/cpu.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm guessing its a myth. HDDs are certainly designed to withstand minor vibrations. I have had powerful subs not too far from HDDs and have never suffered a failure. I wouldn't want to put a HDD close to a powerful magnetic field but I think you would need a tremendously powerful sub motor for that. I don't think your subs will be a concern there.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I wouldn't say a myth. As Shady mentioned though, they do build some resistance into the units but they're still only rated to certain levels of shock. He might right that a typical sub might not have the intensity of vibration or magnetic force to cause a problem, but personally, just to be sure, I just wouldn't put the HDD directly on a sub - in a rack nearby I wouldn't worry about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of such myself so going with myth. You could always get a solid state drive....

S

Serithin

Junior Audioholic
So if I build a hdd rack to the left of my HTPC case with the big sub to the right of the case, it should be ok?

D

dolynick

Audioholic
So if I build a hdd rack to the left of my HTPC case with the big sub to the right of the case, it should be ok?
I would think so.

All HDDs do have a shock rating, but that's usually more in the context of drops. It's a physical read head (think like a tiny record player arm) over spinning platters, so very fine mechanical mechanisms working on minute precision. If I recall, car audio systems that included HDDs in the system did also use a specialized type of 2.5" mechanical HDD that was hardened against shock more than usual to deal with the constant bumps and vibrations from the vehicle. It's also quite common for HDD mounts these days to include foam or rubber bits to help absorb vibrations (but that's as much for noise from the HDD as to protect it).

As long as you're not putting the drives directly on the sub, I doubt you'll have any issue. Basic prudence should be sufficient.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis