Is this a good buy?

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
I saw this sub on FB for $150. The guy agrees to sell it for $100. Is it a good buy.

Also, this sub is for $125.

I debating as to which one I should get for home theater. Any suggestion is appreciated. DIY is also an option for me too. If you know good subwoofer drivers that can deliver bass down to 20hz, I'm opened to it. Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The second one is a car sub in a custom box. As to how it will perform in HT, only god knows. Generally, using CAR drivers in HT isn't recommended.
First, you may want to do some homework on this. In particular, notice how much it is sold as new.
I suggest never paying more than 1/2 of the price of new for used HT stuff. If you look a bit harder, you may even find this subwoofer review on AH's main site.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a sub, which happens to currently be on clearance because they are open box items, and it looks to be in your price range. My son in law has a 10" from them and it is good for the money. $180 for a brand new one if you choose.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Correct, Dayton Sub-1200 is a better choice than either of these two subs on FB you've shared.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wuuuut???
I thought this was for outdoor karaoke?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Outdoor sub I think will have a hard time hitting and producing 20hz outside. Loud, outside and 20Hz is a tall order and pretty much impossible at $150.

The first post says home theater for this one, so not sure?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Outdoor sub I think will have a hard time hitting and producing 20hz outside. Loud, outside and 20Hz is a tall order and pretty much impossible at $150.

The first post says home theater for this one, so not sure?
Well that’s why I’m confused. The first thread said HT, then turned into outdoor karaoke. Now this question is about HT again so…..
Agreed though with your post.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The first basic Klipsch sub might get to 20hz in-room (rated 29-120hz +/- 3dB), but I wouldn't expect at significant spl. Sometimes you can buy those new for $150-200 IIRC. I'd pass in general on this range of Klipsch subs.

Haven't seen Ascendant mentioned in a long time....not since Chad left to form Epik Subwoofers (now defunct). As mentioned, whether particularly suited to in-home use hard to know...a model number for the driver might help.

DIY could be an option, you can run the T/S parameters thru a design program and build an appropriate box?

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone know how low this sub actually gets down to?

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Wuuuut???
I thought this was for outdoor karaoke?
Your memory is good. Yes. I'm planning to buy a subwoofer for both in door HT and outdoor karaoke too. Since i'm on a tight budget, I'm gonna go easy on it when taking outside.

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
I saw a used Dayton Audio SUB1500 for $140. Partsexpress has one for $259. Is a used one worth $140?

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
It looks good from the website.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks good from the website.
It may be fine. It's hard to say.

Make sure you enter Audioholics' contents to win the Klipsch RP-1600 subwoofer. If you are lucky, you may be able to get a killer sub for free.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis