Is there any such thing as an all analog vinyl pressing anymore?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I've noticed that a lot of remasters or reissues that appear on vinyl tend to be sourced from a digital master or at least has a digital step along the way. I can see the appeal of vintage vinyl LP's as opposed to the modern ones since there is no questions as to their recording and pressing process. However, those tend to be in bad shape or at least in a stage where even wood glue cleaning process isn't fully effective in removing all the dirt.

Has anyone discovered a reliable source to find who actually sticks with the analog process all the way through to pressing?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've noticed that a lot of remasters or reissues that appear on vinyl tend to be sourced from a digital master or at least has a digital step along the way. I can see the appeal of vintage vinyl LP's as opposed to the modern ones since there is no questions as to their recording and pressing process. However, those tend to be in bad shape or at least in a stage where even wood glue cleaning process isn't fully effective in removing all the dirt.

Has anyone discovered a reliable source to find who actually sticks with the analog process all the way through to pressing?
That is really tough in this day and age. There are few multitrack tape machines left in good working order. Maintaining them is a dying art. There is only one source of tape, and it is very expensive.

Next you need the analog mixer, to mix down to two track, and then a two track recorder in good condition. You need another good tape machine at the production plant. You also need someone skilled in rocking tapes over the playback head, and can make accurate pencil marks, and be skilled at razor blade editing.

There are a lot of old time skills and vintage equipment required here.

I could make a two channel analog recording, edit it and make a copy it could be mastered from. I did it many times in years past, and still have serviceable equipment.

Do I want to do it again, not really. I'm 75, when my generation are dead, which won't be long, you will be totally out of luck.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
That is really tough in this day and age. There are few multitrack tape machines left in good working order. Maintaining them is a dying art. There is only one source of tape, and it is very expensive.

Next you need the analog mixer, to mix down to two track, and then a two track recorder in good condition. You need another good tape machine at the production plant. You also need someone skilled in rocking tapes over the playback head, and can make accurate pencil marks, and be skilled at razor blade editing.

There are a lot of old time skills and vintage equipment required here.

I could make a two channel analog recording, edit it and make a copy it could be mastered from. I did it many times in years past, and still have serviceable equipment.

Do I want to do it again, not really. I'm 75, when my generation are dead, which won't be long, you will be totally out of luck.
Makes me wonder what the appeal is to vinyl sound when in fact it's a digital recording. I just bought a batch of LP's, all new and remastered. I was excited to get newly packaged vinyl in my hands of some of the records I was fond of when I was a pre-teen. Now I'm I'm about to buy a turntable and setup a 2 channel listening room. With vinyl costing between $25-$60 per record it seems insane to get into it when there's a significant chance I will prefer the 24/96 or DSD editions more. Maybe the idea of the openness and warmth of analog vinyl playback is purely placebo when I'm actually listening to a digital recording. Or is there something more actually to it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought I'd read Jack White has the facilities for both recording and pressing, via Third Man Studios and Third Man Pressing. Some choices that way, but not a lot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Makes me wonder what the appeal is to vinyl sound when in fact it's a digital recording. I just bought a batch of LP's, all new and remastered. I was excited to get newly packaged vinyl in my hands of some of the records I was fond of when I was a pre-teen. Now I'm I'm about to buy a turntable and setup a 2 channel listening room. With vinyl costing between $25-$60 per record it seems insane to get into it when there's a significant chance I will prefer the 24/96 or DSD editions more. Maybe the idea of the openness and warmth of analog vinyl playback is purely placebo when I'm actually listening to a digital recording. Or is there something more actually to it?
There is no point. If you are a collector of older rare recordings, or have a large vinyl collection, then there is a point to owning turntables. They is absolutely no point whatever of cutting a master, and stampers and pressing vinyl discs from any digital recording, no matter at what point it was digitalized. That is an absolutely pointless and inherently wasteful endeavor.

As you know I have nearly 70 years of collecting and so I have a pretty large collection in vinyl. It is a pleasure to play it on equipment of the period. I have just taken care of my gear over the years, and it all still gives me pleasure.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Have recently ordered my first half speed master LP after doing a bit of research on the hows.
I found this article was very informative on the process at Abbey Road Studios.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have to agree that if you are just getting into vinyl and plan on purchasing new pressings, I don't see the point if there are digital alternatives. Vinyl makes sense if you had a collection of older LPs or may be inheriting a collection from someone. A friend of mine inherited a huge collection from his uncle and he has been posting pics of his daily listening habits for months and he's having a great time.

Alternatively, if you think you will simply enjoy the process if spinning vinyl and trying different cartridges or phono pre-amps, then it can be a fun endeavor. It's also fun to come across a good find at a thrift shop or flea market and bring it home. Last outing I came across a James Gang LP that I had never heard before and it was a treat to play. So if you think you'll have fun experimenting and have the budget, no harm in trying, but if you are simply searching for a very good listening environment, high res digital is the way to go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis