Is seems that Yamaha has quit production of 4K and all Blu-ray players!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have a modest collection of 4k discs. I don't plan to build a large collection, most of the stuff that I really want to own (physical copy), I already own on BRD or DVD formats. Most of those, I would not see the need to repurchase in 4K.

Yeah, that redbox rental at $2.19 a night adds up when you forget to return the disc for several days :p
Yes it does! I try to be diligent about returning them, but you know how that goes sometimes.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It seems like the industry is trying to turn us away from physical media, just like they tried to turn us away from vinyl. A blu-ray from red box costs $2.19 to rent for the night. A streamed movie will cost you $6 or $7 bucks from Direct TV, Vudu, etc.etc. So in essence twice as much to stream. Streaming quality can be good, IF you have good fast internet, AND you can hard-wire your gear. But the picture and sound of a disc can't be beat, IMO. Will consumers let disc fade away, or will we keep them alive like a lot of us did with vinyl?

I'm curious, how many folks here have started a collection of 4k discs?
I have about 50 UHD discs and about 200 Blu-ray discs. I have replaced most of my favorite DVDs with Blu-ray or UHD. On my 2160p HDR10 65” display, Blu-rays can be upscaled nicely by my Sony x800 player. DVDs are not that good upscaled by the Sony or by my 2016 Samsung KS8000 tv. If forced to use DVD, I have an old 2009 55in Panasonic Plasma in another room for watching those. :)

I’m guessing in future sets of 8k, you may really want UHD or better discs. Also a set of 80in or greater. :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On their Canadian website, Yamaha should have only removed the Blu-ray players rather than indicating they were discontinued ! o_O

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
They are right now, and I think anyone who selling off their disc collection is foolish. But this country is a long ways away from having the infrastructure needed to allow these streaming services to even come close to the quality of a disc.

Buy discs, be Happy!
I do and I am! Sometimes as low as 2 to 3 dollars at half price books.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
The last Blu Ray I bought was Blade Runner 2049 new, but most I go to Pawnshops picked up a bunch for 4 bucks each.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Blu Ray is still my go to as I have yet to switch to 4K projection. But Blu Ray has been so good, that I haven't even felt a need...... let those 4K prices keep falling!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I could have figured out that Yamaha BD players likely existed; but I've never seen them.

Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Oppo, Integra... these were brands I actually ran into.

Though I'm saddened to see that there might now be more record-player builders than BD.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I could have figured out that Yamaha BD players likely existed; but I've never seen them.

Sony, Samsung, Pioneer, Oppo, Integra... these were brands I actually ran into.

Though I'm saddened to see that there might now be more record-player builders than BD.
So far, Yamaha discontinued export of Blu-ray players to Canada. In my opinion, it's a possibility for the US in the near future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis