Is Onkyo TX-SR602 a good receiver

R

ramesh01

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am new to HT receivers. I am upgrading my current system and am comparing the Yamaha HTR-5760 and Onkyo TX-SR602. Can some experienced people in this forum tell me which one is a good reciever from quality and sound wise. Both the receivers are around the same price ($400). The speakers I am using is Infinity TSS-450 ($300). I am building a budget HT system. From the little research I did these were the best bet. Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
ramesh01 said:
Hi,

I am new to HT receivers. I am upgrading my current system and am comparing the Yamaha HTR-5760 and Onkyo TX-SR602. Can some experienced people in this forum tell me which one is a good reciever from quality and sound wise.
Thanks
the newest Onkyo's (502 and 602) have ben taking a beating on the internet for quality control on their video sections. you might look at the 601 or 701 (last year's models) and get a better price on a more reliable piece.

if you have a good dealer or don't run video through the receiver, this might not be a problem for you.

R

ramesh01

Audiophyte
Thanks. Is the Yammie HTR-5760 better than Onkyo tx-sr602?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
ramesh01 said:
Thanks. Is the Yammie HTR-5760 better than Onkyo tx-sr602?

in my opinion, the Yammie will have better HT stuff, and the Onkyo will do alot more with computer-based sound.

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
Yes it's good

I have owned both the yamaha ( RXV800 and the RXV1400) and the onkyo 501 I bought for my friend and the 801 for myself)

To the previous poster....You never heard them So your not helping. :mad:

The sound for yamaha is what some would say is bright. ( this has to also do with the speakers that you are using) The options and flexability all great. but in reality you will find you only use 3 or 4 at the most
The onkyo has a different sound and not as many options. But like I said I don't use 14 different sound settings only 3 -4. ( same 4 as before just have different names eg. effect mode is direct mode)

Sound (TESTED THIS WITH THE WIFE!!!!! and the friend NOT A MISSPRINT Yes I said the wife)
I found the sound to be CLEAN on the ONKYO. The Yamaha can't do this.
The wife said it was like you had wax in your ears and you used a Q-tip and cleaned them.

Even the 501 did the same thing. just less power than the 801 :D

I never had a chance to compare it to the HK or Denons some day I will
but I returned my RXV1400 and picked up the Onkyo.

Also not the Network connection (never used it never hooked it to my computer. Also don't plan too but you never know in the future)

Any questions Just P.M. me

( Note I can't speak for QC of the 602 model ( I would look at alast years mode also if that is an issue (Think of it as car analogy it is a BMW drives and feels like a BMW and BMW 2005 will drive and feel the same. why make it feel like a Honda? Its a BMW. ( Note this applies to the Yammie as well the 800 and the 1400 had the same sound/sonic signature and it had a 2 year difference in models)

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
dr.hug said:
I have owned both the yamaha ( RXV800 and the RXV1400) and the onkyo 501 I bought for my friend and the 801 for myself)

To the previous poster....You never heard them So your not helping. :mad:
if you must know I did demo an Onkyo 601 in April. It was at Circuit City on the main rack, hooked to (we will assume for your sake) some pure trash speakers. let's just say I didn't buy the 601. I didn't bring it up to Ram because it probably would not have been helpful, given the conditions.

I find it very interesting that you take it upon yourself to determine what is helpful for Ram... Opinions based on the two months I spent researching my recent Yamaha RX-V2500 purchase just might have some value (to him).

Last edited:
X

xyntax

Enthusiast
i have tx-sr602e(european version of 602) and i think its great compare to yamaha.before i buy an onkyo i was able to listen to yamaha and of course onkyo.well, onkyo for me is more flexible.pair it with jamo e850 and you will have a very detailed sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis