Is my receiver dead forever?

S

spencore

Audiophyte
Hey- sorry if this post is not in the correct location-obviously I don't frequent this board... but I need some answers! :D

To make a long story short, the volume knob on my receiver got jacked up very high while the balance knob was all the way to a malfunctioning speaker(was actually the wires connecting it).

When this happened, a flash of light came from my receiver which quickly shut the unit off thus going into standby. Once I tried to turn it back on, the screen on the front of the receiver no long shows anything (output device, FM/AM tuning etc..) and no sound comes out, however, the unit DOES turn on because the little LED on the volume knob turns on and the standby LED turns on/off when the power button is pressed.

So in other words:

Volume--> high-->flash! = no sound, no screen.

Is this fixable? Cheap to fix? Need more information (hope not!).

BTW it is a JVC RX-309

Thank you so much!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey- sorry if this post is not in the correct location-obviously I don't frequent this board... but I need some answers! :D

To make a long story short, the volume knob on my receiver got jacked up very high while the balance knob was all the way to a malfunctioning speaker(was actually the wires connecting it).

When this happened, a flash of light came from my receiver which quickly shut the unit off thus going into standby. Once I tried to turn it back on, the screen on the front of the receiver no long shows anything (output device, FM/AM tuning etc..) and no sound comes out, however, the unit DOES turn on because the little LED on the volume knob turns on and the standby LED turns on/off when the power button is pressed.

So in other words:

Volume--> high-->flash! = no sound, no screen.

Is this fixable? Cheap to fix? Need more information (hope not!).

BTW it is a JVC RX-309

Thank you so much!
You can't possibly say if this is a cheap fix or not. I think you are trying to say that the speaker wires were shorted. Is that correct? My guess is that the flash of light was an internal fuse blowing. You might be lucky in that replacing that fuse will correct the problem. However I doubt it. Shorting speaker terminals like you describe usually takes out the output devices of the channel connected to the short. Most likely if the fuse is replaced it will blow again as the output devices likely have a collector to emitter short circuit. The output devices in that channel most likely need replacing. There is more likely than not going to be significant expense involved. It is also possible that the chain of events set of by this has done even more damage, and it is possible repair is not economic.

Take the unit to a qualified service technician for an accurate diagnosis and an estimate for repair. You can expect to pay for the diagnostic assessment at standard shop rates. This is not something you should attempt to fix yourself.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
More than likely it's going to cost you enough to repair the receiver to justify getting a new receiver. You can try changing the fuse, as that's a pretty inexpensive test. Remember to replace it with the same size and rating. It probably requires a fast acting fuse.

S

spencore

Audiophyte
ok.. so i opened up the receiver.. the fuse IS blown.

i say THE fuse because I can't find any other fuses.. is there only one fuse?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
ok.. so i opened up the receiver.. the fuse IS blown.

i say THE fuse because I can't find any other fuses.. is there only one fuse?
Sometimes. Other times there are others hidden deep within the bowels of the unit.

Try replacing it and see what happens. Waddaya got to lose?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sometimes. Other times there are others hidden deep within the bowels of the unit.

Try replacing it and see what happens. Waddaya got to lose?
That is correct, but replace it once. If it blows right away, or the channel that was shorted is out, take the unit in for service and get an estimate.

S

spencore

Audiophyte
Yup.. I replace the fuse- it blew.

So does that mean there is a short?

I think I will have to take it in for an estimate. :( I'll probably just end up getting a new(used) receiver. This sucks a lot.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In the future, always have the power off when you are playing with connections. Every owner's manual will tell you to have the power off before doing anything with any connections, and you can now see why that is the case. And don't turn things on again until all of the connected wires are connected at both ends.

Much as I hate to tell people to put things in landfills, most likely you would be better off just replacing your inexpensive receiver than taking it to a repair shop. You might end up saving money with a repair, but there is a good chance that the estimate (without repair) for your unit will cost as much as buying a used equivalent receiver. If there are any thrift shops in your area that have electronics, there is a decent chance that you could pick one up for less than $50. Of course, you would want to test it in the store before you bought it. Or, you could look for one on eBay, though you should be careful about buying things sight unseen.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think I will have to take it in for an estimate. :( I'll probably just end up getting a new(used) receiver. This sucks a lot.
The output transistors on that channel out welded collector to emitter, and causing a direct short to the power supply. Hence the fuse blows. This catastrophe will occur with pretty much any solid state amp if you short the speaker leads. So that's a warning to you and everyone to be careful.

Get an estimate. Power transistors are cheap. The issue will be how open the receiver is and how much labor will be involved doing the repair. In separates this is usually a straightforward repair as they are more open. Receivers can require a lot of difficult dismantling. But may be yours is relatively open.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
A local shop may be able to fix it, but this is a good excuse to buy a new receiver :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did not realize that was such and old receiver. JVC do not seem to be supporting it. This is the only outfit I can find that has a service manual. Download or paper is $16.99

http://www.servicemanuals.net/results.aspx?type=SM&brand=15&model=RX - 309

It is quite possible that unit may not be fixable as the devices may be NLA. Some receivers of that type and age had integrated circuit output stages, and if that is the case, you will almost certainly be out of luck. Receivers of that type are two a penny on eBay. There is an RX - 309 for sale, but the seller will not say whether it works or not.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I had an older Onkyo receiver that started to cut out at low volumes, instead of trying to diagnose it and fix it (it still works by the way) I just went out and bought a receiver. Since this receiver is old it is probably not worth fixing unless you feel attached to it somehow and want to keep it.

S

spencore

Audiophyte
Yea.. I think I am going to buy a new receiver now. I'm broke college student so I will have to find a cheap used one. Too bad that is hard to come by. How succesful would I be at looking at garage sales? That usually a decent route for receivers? I went to the local pawn shop and they were too much than what I want to spend.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yea.. I think I am going to buy a new receiver now. I'm broke college student so I will have to find a cheap used one. Too bad that is hard to come by. How succesful would I be at looking at garage sales? That usually a decent route for receivers? I went to the local pawn shop and they were too much than what I want to spend.
What is your budget? Garage sales aren't typically great places to find receivers. Every once in a while you will see a vintage receiver, which could work well. Do you need surround sound or just stereo?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would avoid garage sales. There are good receivers similar to what you had on eBay all the time. If you watch you will get lucky.

Just look at the choice.

http://shop.ebay.com/__Home-Audio-Receivers-Tuners_Receivers-vintage-2-channel_W0QQ_nkwZReceiversQ20vintageQ202Q20channelQQ_fxdZ1QQ_npmvZ3QQ_ptasZ2Q2cVintageQ5fElectronicsQ5fR2Q5e2Q2cRadioQ5fControlQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5e2QQ_pgnZ1

There are lots of Marantz for sale. You are bound to get one of those cheap.

If that is out of your budget, see if you can get me a circuit of your current one, and I will give you an opinion as to whether repair would likely be economic. Even at those prices on eBay, when you add shipping, it still might pay to fix yours.

S

spencore

Audiophyte
Yea my budget is AROUND 50 bucks. probably a little higher since I realize 50 is pushin it.

Then again, this last recevier I got for free! (then again it is not fuctioning now..)

TLS, I did look at ebay a little bit.. I honestly just didn't know whether that would be a good idea or not for receivers. Ovbiously seeing one in person and testing it out would be ideal so I wasn't sure if ebay would be the correct route.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but do you mean by "circuit?" Would you like me to take a picture of my opened receiver. I remember someone previously saying that if the receiver is configured in a way that it is easy to access various components it could be cheaper to repair. I think my receiver my fall under this catagory. It doesn't seem too cluttered inside. Then again I don't have another receiver to compare to.

SETH, I just need this receiver for stereo. The application of the receiver is audio from my computer (and TV). I have two speakers in one room for the computer/TV and 4 speakers (not surround) out in the living/beer pong/college party/craziness room. :) So, it needs at least two channels (?) so that I can switch between living room or my room.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yea my budget is AROUND 50 bucks. probably a little higher since I realize 50 is pushin it.

Then again, this last recevier I got for free! (then again it is not fuctioning now..)

TLS, I did look at ebay a little bit.. I honestly just didn't know whether that would be a good idea or not for receivers. Ovbiously seeing one in person and testing it out would be ideal so I wasn't sure if ebay would be the correct route.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but do you mean by "circuit?" Would you like me to take a picture of my opened receiver. I remember someone previously saying that if the receiver is configured in a way that it is easy to access various components it could be cheaper to repair. I think my receiver my fall under this catagory. It doesn't seem too cluttered inside. Then again I don't have another receiver to compare to.

SETH, I just need this receiver for stereo. The application of the receiver is audio from my computer (and TV). I have two speakers in one room for the computer/TV and 4 speakers (not surround) out in the living/beer pong/college party/craziness room. :) So, it needs at least two channels (?) so that I can switch between living room or my room.
A picture will not help for this problem. You need the circuits, and a list of components, especially the devices. I sent you a link where you can get the information you need for $16. If you want to gamble and download the pdf and send it to me, I will look at it and tell you if a fix is possible at reasonable cost. If it seems like a fairly easy service repair, I might even take mercy on an impecunious student and fix it for you. But it will have to be a pretty open unit, not hours of dismantling and rebuild, and the output devices readily available and cheap.

A decent receiver in eBay will be around $100 +. If you buy from a reputable seller, you don't have much to fear.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You could get the Insignia NS-R2000.

I own this receiver and I am very pleased with it (I was grinning a lot about 10 minutes ago). I was just listening to NIN with my Infinity IL10s at crushing levels of output. I am amazed at how well the Insignia holds up when powering those speakers at those levels. The speakers amaze me too, they sound huge for bookshelf speakers.:eek: The Insignia is a rebadge of a Sherwood receiver (OEM). If you can afford it, do it. You might look around on ebay for used ones. Also look at Teac used or refurbished stereo receivers as well as Sherwood on ebay.

S

spencore

Audiophyte
Ok guys. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Today I went out to an antique mall and stumbled upon a amp.

Check out what I scored for 25 bucks:

http://www.audio-extasa.eu/yamaha-ca2010-amplifier-p-99.html

I have one urgent question about this.. if you follow that link and go to the bottom image, you will notice the coupler is set in the "off" position. After just buying mine, I noticed it is set in the "On" position. Can anyone tell me what this is in non-technical terms? I read about in the manual but I honestly lack the terminology to understand what it says.

Anyway.. what do you guys think about this amp? For being 25 bucks I'm happy. It DOES work! It doesn't have a tuner..but that's really OK for me. 450 Watts too!

What do you guys think?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis