rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Have you ever bought a movie just to find out a better (DTS) version is available several months later. Heck I thought computers were bad with the "outdated before you get home" theory. Now the movie industry wants a piece of the pie. :mad:

T2 is a perfect example of this. To date I think there are 3 different versions. The original Seven DVD had to be flipped over halfway through the movie and only had DD 5.1. The new one is dual layered and has DTS-ES 6.1. The list could go on and on.........

Now I am almost affraid to buy a movie before the "good" version comes out.. :eek:

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Yes, that irks me as well. I also don't understand box sets of a movie series when all of the series has not been released yet. Pure money making strategy. Take LOTR, there is a box set of the first two movies. Why? I for one would rather wait for the box set with all 3 movies. Matrix? Same thing. Star Wars?

People buy incomplete boxed sets just to turn around and buy the complete set later. Now they have dups.

Shinerman

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
....or in some cases ONLY offer them as boxed sets, and not individually..like Godfather..and the Star Wars trilogy will be when it's released in Sept.

My least favorite DVD scam is when they release the special edition after the collector's edition after the limited collector's special edition that just adds one small thing like deleted scenes or director's commentary.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Hey guys;

Is there a site out there that lists different dvd's and what sound processing they use as of current?

If not, perhaps a thread could be started about this so we have up to date info on what to buy and what not to...

Just a thought, I would be interested in contributing to this... it would help a lot...

We could also list whether the movies are widescreen, full screen or both so one can choose the version they want...

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
...and another good site is www.rottentomatoes.com.

In their Search function select your movie. You will then be presented with a picture box of the DVD; click on 'Features' and more detailed info will be displayed; then 'Click Here To Read DVD Reviews' and depending on which reviewer you select, more extensive tech info, narrative, audio, video, DVD extras, ratings, and overall impressions may be listed.

As the Dunkin' Donuts ad says: "It's worth the trip." :)

-GeorgeM

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
hopjohn said:
....or in some cases ONLY offer them as boxed sets, and not individually..like Godfather..and the Star Wars trilogy will be when it's released in Sept.

My least favorite DVD scam is when they release the special edition after the collector's edition after the limited collector's special edition that just adds one small thing like deleted scenes or director's commentary.

There is a guy on another forum that will buy updated versionsof DVDs simply based an the imroved quality of the box they come in. He really likes boxes with "raised" pictures that you can feel. What a moron!

Shinerman.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

As the Dunkin' Donuts ad says: "It's worth the trip."

GeorgeM,

Thanks for the link. I will add it to the list for good movie info!
:D

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
rgriffin25 said:
Have you ever bought a movie just to find out a better (DTS) version is available several months later. Heck I thought computers were bad with the "outdated before you get home" theory. Now the movie industry wants a piece of the pie. :mad:

T2 is a perfect example of this. To date I think there are 3 different versions. The original Seven DVD had to be flipped over halfway through the movie and only had DD 5.1. The new one is dual layered and has DTS-ES 6.1. The list could go on and on.........

Now I am almost affraid to buy a movie before the "good" version comes out.. :eek:
I've had the same experience. But rather than get pissed off, I view it with some grain of understanding based on my experience as a marketing man. This version after version release of the same film is purely a product of marketing strategy to gain or extend the saleability of a film. You can be sure that after a film is initially released on DVD as barebones, there'd be special edition with directors commentaries and behind the scenes. Then there'd be an UNCUT, extended or director's version. There'd be a DTS superbit version. Sooner or later, there'd be an anniversary special edition. If it eventualy forms part of a trilogy or quadirlogy or whatever, there'd be a boxed set with more director insights. Later on, with the new HD-DVDs, there'd be another round of re-issues. Our children could end up with at least 10 versions of a title. :D

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I think it points to the general moral decline in our society as a whole. When there is the distinct availability and possibility of including all the features of a film on a said DVD in it's first offering, and then serving it initially to the public in a stripped down form, only to intentionally "hold back" for the sake of a future release some months later (see LOTR releases for example), it is immoral. I can undestand re-release based on technological advances, but to do this knowingly, as a planned stream of marketing consciousness for the lone intent of money making, is just plain evil.

That being said, because we (Audioholics among us) as savy consumers have learned this marketing game, it becomes a test of will. We shouild learn to decline the purchase of the early release of a DVD in which we are concerned with the number of features it includes. If enough people did this then the marketing plan would backfire, and so many of the skimpy DVDs would go unsold that it might make more sense to give us more the first go round.

Do I think that will happen? No....here's why.. listen closely....we are the minority here among us at Audioholics. Most people hearing an HTIB for the first time are blown away by the experience. Given that way of thinking, why might you think the marketing geniuses over at Bose do so well.....BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO ACCEPTING GARBAGE AS GREAT AND GOOD ENOUGH. We are the ones who care about quality, we are the ones who drive change, but yet we do not reap the rewards as do the ignorant masses. We choose not to accept the ordinary and demand more, and because we demand more, find satisfaction only with sacrifice.

Last edited:
ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Can I get an amen to that!! ^^^^

Seriously, if it was a spectacular movie that I absolutely loved and the original had a dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack and then they re released it with a DTS soundtrack... then I would consider getting it.

It would have to be an amazing movie though...

Like if they ever release the first Matrix in DTS, here I come!

Gotta love that helicopter scene!!!

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
There is no doubt GREED is behind all these - squeezing the most derivative sales from a film. I used to hanker for a film's DVD release. So I would take their barebones first editions with great interest. Not anymore. I have learned to wait long enough, either for the new special editions to arrive or for the barbones versions to go on reduced SALE. And if the special editions are really worth getting, I'd wait again for it to go on sale.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I think that there are a couple of exceptions to the theories that we have been discussing in here. Saving Private Ryan and MIB DTS only DVDs. Having a DVD with DTS only is a great Idea. From what I have read these discs actually have the DTS soundtrack not the trimmed down for size DTS track that we often get on DD/DTS discs. What I wish is that more of these types of discs would be available.

Anyone know of any other titles that are DTS only?

U

Unregistered

rgriffin25 said:
Saving Private Ryan and MIB DTS only DVDs. Having a DVD with DTS only is a great Idea.
Are you sure that these DVDs have DTS ONLY? That would be a violation of the DVD consortium rules and no reputable studio would release such a thing. All DVDs must have either a Dolby Digital (any # channels) or a PCM soundtrack. They can add any others as long as one of the above is included.

I would bet those DVDs have a PCM soundtrack and a DTS soundtrack.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
compression?

I think he means DVDs with Dolby 2.0 and DTS 5.1. and no Dolby 5.1, which are pretty rare, in comparison with those with Dolby 2.0, 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. I was never sure if the video/sound needed to be compressed more in order to fit a movie DVD using all 3 of DD 2.0, 5.1, and DTS 5.1. Does anybody have more info on this? I guess this is what rgriffin is saying, can anyone add to this?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

You are correct hopjohn, The discs that I am referring to have DD 2.0 and DTS 5.1. From what I have read these are the only discs that have the original DTS soundtrack heard in the Theater. Due to lack of space on other movies you do not get the same quality DTS. I will try to dig up the article and post a link.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

OH! My!

I know its probably not the first time this has happened. For me this is the first time I was able to buy a DVD w/o waiting for the enhanced version to come out. I bought Spiderman 2 tonight, was released in its normal plain jane Full and Wide screen versions. It was also released in a Superbit version as well. Hopefully Columbia Tri-Star has finally figured out they can make just as much money releasing the Superbit at the same time!
:D

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Found the Superbit Ver.

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to locate SB Spidey 2 after some searching.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis