Is it just me or...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My towers and surrounds be extraordinary loud on the reference setting and it's fatiguing to the ear after 20 minutes or so. Yeah I could always just lower the ch levels but the sound coming out of the speakers just seems forced if you know what I mean. The drivers are working harder when I put Audyssey eq on than using the GEQ. Setting my own eq band makes the speaker sound more controlled and the bass is tighter.

My subs are placed in between my speakers instead o the outside.

However I'm using LFE+main.
If you're using multi-ch stereo modes that may make sense, Audyssey wouldn't do much to help the poor audio that multi-ch stereo usually is (its good for parties but not much else IMO). I'd either use simple stereo or an actual surround mode (if using 2ch music as source the Dolby or DTS upmixers). I don't know what you mean by "forced". How do you know the drivers are working harder? Maybe you can see a bass driver moving but it really doesn't tell you a lot. What are the boosts/cuts particularly you're making for each frequency with the GEQ?

There are many other factors (and possibilities) to sub placement than just inside/outside of your mains. Using LFE+Main may add to bass muddiness due to the overlap involved.

When you ran Audyssey did you use all mic positions and in what pattern? How did you position the mic, with a tripod or mic boom or?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not necessarily. Many times in the past inferior technologies have prevailed based on mistaken consumer perception among other factors. Your statement assumes that everyone is well-informed. It should go without saying around these parts that is rarely the case.
(Cough) Bose (cough)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, when your surrounds are -6db compared to your fronts because they are simply less efficient, or farther away, you don't think that EQing the level is a plus?

Because that's exactly the scenario the OP seems to be describing.

You could only be referring to attempting to flatten out an individual speaker; which I don't necessarily agree with; but which is a much more nuanced stance than opposing all EQ.
I don’t consider level-matching all the speaker as “Equalization”.

To me EQ means attempting to adjust the speaker room frequency response.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
What multi channel are you talking about, typically when some say multi channel surround they refer to multi channel inputs from a player that outputs analog multi channel. My suggestion is always set the avr for auto play back for surrounds and stereo for music, aslo direct or pure. Everything thing else is gimmicky.
Im talking about the 5ch stereo mode of multi ch where all the speakers are playing
If you're using multi-ch stereo modes that may make sense, Audyssey wouldn't do much to help the poor audio that multi-ch stereo usually is (its good for parties but not much else IMO). I'd either use simple stereo or an actual surround mode (if using 2ch music as source the Dolby or DTS upmixers). I don't know what you mean by "forced". How do you know the drivers are working harder? Maybe you can see a bass driver moving but it really doesn't tell you a lot. What are the boosts/cuts particularly you're making for each frequency with the GEQ?

There are many other factors (and possibilities) to sub placement than just inside/outside of your mains. Using LFE+Main may add to bass muddiness due to the overlap involved.

When you ran Audyssey did you use all mic positions and in what pattern? How did you position the mic, with a tripod or mic boom or?
I tried all 8 positions with Audyssey but it didn't make a difference when I tried 3 positions because I only have 3 positions where I listen from on my bed and couch. I just use the cheap cardboard stand denon provides.

I want to show a pic of the GEQ settings but it's say the file is too large when it's only 3.01mb

Edit: i just recalibrate my speakers measuring 8 postions set the sub db to 75 (but i prefer 80) set all speakers to small at 80 hz, bass set at life+main. Turned down my surround levels to 3 dbs because it's normally louder than my towers for whatever reason. Overall it just sounds too straight foward like the music is always at full volume

I don't know switching Aud off and setting my own eq just sounds better. Mind you I was using Audyssey for a good two years until I decided to try the GEQ and it was a night and day difference for me. The bass doesn't sound muddle anymore in bass heavy tracks. But I still prefer Audyssey on while watching movies don't get me wrong there.

Last edited:
J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
I don’t consider level-matching all the speaker as “Equalization”.

To me EQ means attempting to adjust the speaker room frequency response.
And that's exactly what I was trying to do. Not what a computer thinks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use room EQ for movies and straight no sub for music. It works well for me.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Im talking about the 5ch stereo mode of multi ch where all the speakers are playing

I tried all 8 positions with Audyssey but it didn't make a difference when I tried 3 positions because I only have 3 positions where I listen from on my bed and couch. I just use the cheap cardboard stand denon provides.

I want to show a pic of the GEQ settings but it's say the file is too large when it's only 3.01mb

Edit: i just recalibrate my speakers measuring 8 postions set the sub db to 75 (but i prefer 80) set all speakers to small at 80 hz, bass set at life+main. Turned down my surround levels to 3 dbs because it's normally louder than my towers for whatever reason. Overall it just sounds too straight foward like the music is always at full volume

I don't know switching Aud off and setting my own eq just sounds better. Mind you I was using Audyssey for a good two years until I decided to try the GEQ and it was a night and day difference for me. The bass doesn't sound muddle anymore in bass heavy tracks. But I still prefer Audyssey on while watching movies don't get me wrong there.
All channel stereo is basically mono to all but the left and right, it's a party mode setting, not so much critical listening

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

FWIW you don't literally put the mic in your various seats for best results; first mic at your main seat at ear level (and where the little paper holder is only of so much use), the other 7 in a circle maybe a meter in diameter seems to work best IME (I use a mic boom). File size limit for a pic I believe is less than 2mb; I just resize pictures for uploading.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not really a fan of audyssey for movies or music. I think room EQ can help with frequencies below 200hz but unfortunately I've yet to get the app to properly work, it often incorrectly detects the -3dB point of my sub and causes an early roll off.

Of course it's been over a year since I've tried it so maybe it's been improved.

The only way room reflections can change the timbre of sound above 200hz is if the speakers measure poorly off axis, and that's difficult to correct with EQ.

I think starting with accurate speakers with good off axis performance, smart room placement, and maybe some room treatments is a much better idea.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
I thought ARC was supposed to be the best REQ. Was planning to buy a Anthem AVR or maybe a Pre-Pro when they come out with a new lineup with HDMI 2.1 implemented.
ARC is an amazing piece of kit. They spent a lot of time and money researching it. I know for my partially treated room (still in progress), the before and after was very impressive.

E

Ecomatt

Audiophyte

I wouldn't use lfe + main setting as you are getting double the bass sent to the subwoofer. Just set it as lfe and it will be fine. Also are you lowering the input level so Audyssey Dynamic EQ is not over boosting the bass. There is a setting that lets you alter from 0db which is reference mixed for movies. Then 5db, 10db and 15db. 15db is used for music. I'd try that and see if that makes a difference.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't use lfe + main setting as you are getting double the bass sent to the subwoofer. Just set it as lfe and it will be fine. Also are you lowering the input level so Audyssey Dynamic EQ is not over boosting the bass. There is a setting that lets you alter from 0db which is reference mixed for movies. Then 5db, 10db and 15db. 15db is used for music. I'd try that and see if that makes a difference.
It depends on the speaker FWIW

E

Ecomatt

Audiophyte
It depends on the speaker FWIW
It does to an extent. However as the main speakers are not being run as full range and he is using the bass management to cut low frequencies to the main channel. Lfe + main should not be used as that will send two bass signals to the subwoofer for the main channel.
I think with that setting and possibly audyssey level Input not set correctly, it will be giving him a massive low end bass boost.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I thought ARC was supposed to be the best REQ. Was planning to buy a Anthem AVR or maybe a Pre-Pro when they come out with a new lineup with HDMI 2.1 implemented.
I've used ARC and Audyssey. I'll take the Dirac Live I'm using now over either of them! But I make no claim of it be "the best", just the one I find to be the best for my speakers, in my room, with my ears.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used ARC and Audyssey. I'll take the Dirac Live I'm using now over either of them! But I make no claim of it be "the best", just the one I find to be the best for my speakers, in my room, with my ears.
Is that multich Dirac or 2ch?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It can be either one. The new NAD C658 pre-amp/DAC/streamer and the Masters series M10 being brought out in February both come with Dirac, and they are 2.2 channel devices. Their AVR's T758v3, T777v3, plus pre-processor Master M17v2 all come with it for multi-channel use.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It can be either one. The new NAD C658 pre-amp/DAC/streamer and the Masters series M10 being brought out in February both come with Dirac, and they are 2.2 channel devices. Their AVR's T758v3, T777v3, plus pre-processor Master M17v2 all come with it for multi-channel use.
I meant what are you using it for/basing your reco on?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have it on my T758v3. That unit can store up to 3 different profiles, so I use one calibrated for single seat 5.1.2 movie watching, one for wide area 5.1.2, and one for single seat 2.1 music listening. I can toggle between them with the remote in an instant.

None of the other two I mentioned can do that. :D

Sometime this year after I remodel my office, I'm going to get one of the M10 integrated amp/streamers and use it with my LS50/Kube10b 2.1 music setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have it on my T758v3. That unit can store up to 3 different profiles, so I use one calibrated for single seat 5.1.2 movie watching, one for wide area 5.1.2, and one for single seat 2.1 music listening. I can toggle between them with the remote in an instant.

None of the other two I mentioned can do that. :D

Sometime this year after I remodel my office, I'm going to get one of the M10 integrated amp/streamers and use it with my LS50/Kube10b 2.1 music setup.
Well you can do various setups with XT32 but with external storage and loading isn't quick...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis